White after Labor Day in Europe?

sssteele

There 's nothing wrong with the white except for it being impractical for sightseeing in a major busy city and in and out of various transportation. I'd have a hard time keeping it spotlessly clean. :o Or do you mean for evenings on the ship?

Does Europe care about America's Labor Day ?

Sorry if you found the question or the way I phrased it odd. Meant more time of year rather than a specific date. Perhaps they are in white anytime in Europe. Guess some of us are too rigid when it comes to fashion.

Sorry if you found the question or the way I phrased it odd. Meant more time of year rather than a specific date. Perhaps they are in white anytime in Europe. Guess some of us are too rigid when it comes to fashion.

Nothing to be sorry about.. Wear what you want and enjoy your vacation

While there is no "Labor Day" rule, you will find few if any locals wearing white -- at least not white pants, skirts, capris and ESPECIALLY not shorts -- in major European cities, even in summer.

In Fall, they will dress for Fall even when it is still warm. Many times I've been in Rome in the Fall when the weather was warm and yet I'd see people in leather jackets, high boots, tweed, etc.

I'm not suggesting you emulate that, but just so you know -- darker, subtle colors will look less out of place.

While there is no "Labor Day" rule, you will find few if any locals wearing white -- at least not white pants, skirts, capris and ESPECIALLY not shorts -- in major European cities, even in summer.

In Fall, they will dress for Fall even when it is still warm. Many times I've been in Rome in the Fall when the weather was warm and yet I'd see people in leather jackets, high boots, tweed, etc.

I'm not suggesting you emulate that, but just so you know -- darker, subtle colors will look less out of place.

Thank you. Good to know.

I think the white rule has long been extinguished and it's more about the weight and type of cloth. Thin white cotton would be inappropriate in the dead of winter yet white heavy wool would be ok.

Absolutely true in Rome, particularly.

We were there in late September a number of times. I was comfortable walking the city streets in nice slacks and blouse/lightweight top but the local ladies who had style were into their boots, wool skirts and what I noticed and loved the most were the most fabulous knit sweater jackets. Most of them wore black with decorative gold buttons. Some were single breasted but most double breasted. I searched the stores for where did they buy them as I really wanted one. We searched Fendi, Gucci et al on Via Condotti and around Spanish Steps with that upscale shopping and never found exactly what I wanted.

We came home and I looked at the newest St. John line that season and voila........ I had my lovely black knit sweater jacket and loved that piece for years.

I would have been so warm wearing it in the weather conditions they were wearing it but they will suffer to be fashionable. :D

Absolutely true in Rome, particularly.

We were there in late September a number of times. I was comfortable walking the city streets in nice slacks and blouse/lightweight top but the local ladies who had style were into their boots, wool skirts and what I noticed and loved the most were the most fabulous knit sweater jackets. Most of them wore black with decorative gold buttons. Some were single breasted but most double breasted. I searched the stores for where did they buy them as I really wanted one. We searched Fendi, Gucci et al on Via Condotti and around Spanish Steps with that upscale shopping and never found exactly what I wanted.

We came home and I looked at the newest St. John line that season and voila........ I had my lovely black knit sweater jacket and loved that piece for years.

I would have been so warm wearing it in the weather conditions they were wearing it but they will suffer to be fashionable. :D

Funny you should mention that. There's a store near the via Condotti that specializes (or at least they used to) in those beautiful knit "suits" with skirt and jacket. My grandmother -- who lived in Chicago at the time -- would always bring home several of these. They were gorgeous both in color and in how they were crafted. The store is called Luisa Spagnoli.

I remember them hanging in her closet even after they retired to Florida; she couldn't bear to part with them.

(She also had good taste in shoes....I "inherited" a lovely pair of black Ferragamos from her, purchased in Rome, that I wore for years.)

Archived