Getting a pool side lounger on a sea day?

Maybe I am tainted but I have been surfing lots of web videos and it all seems so civilized, but is there a mad dash for primo poolside lounge chairs on sea days? I will be on an October Caribbean sailing and really look forward to the sea days where I can totally chill and relax with a smutty romantic novel poolside. Will I need to set my alarm in order to secure a lounger anywhere near the pool?.

I only know about the small ships, but never a problem getting a nice lounger in the sun, or in the shade, if you prefer. Of course, they are not strictly "pool side". But a great place to soak up some rays, read a book, and sip a cool something.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Maybe I am tainted but I have been surfing lots of web videos and it all seems so civilized, but is there a mad dash for primo poolside lounge chairs on sea days? I will be on an October Caribbean sailing and really look forward to the sea days where I can totally chill and relax with a smutty romantic novel poolside. Will I need to set my alarm in order to secure a lounger anywhere near the pool?.

The only rush might be to read your smutty romantic novel.

Don't leave it lying around when you go to lunch:)

The only rush might be to read your smutty romantic novel.

Don't leave it lying around when you go to lunch:)

Great glad to hear I don't have to deal with all the chair savers. Totally annoying when you end up getting the worst chair on the deck simply because everyone else has dropped a magazine on a chair so they can come back hours later and occupy the seat.

I will say that it is easier to get lounge chair on the big ships than on the small just because they are set out in more locations -- deck 11 forward, deck 10 on the little "balcony facing the pool area( my favorite spot), deck 9 along the side railings, and of course deck 8.

BTW, with an alias like Mr Luxury I would have thought your name in the book would have been Mr Silver rather than the lowly sounding Mr. Gray.Oh well,I guess you can't trust a writer to get everything right.

Also it may be beneficial to pay for "Serene Area" access for the entire cruise depending on what they are offering it for that sailing. It was $100 for the entire cruise on a recent Baltic trip. It includes unlimited access to the serene area (steam room, dry sauna, warm chairs, Kniepp walk, dedicated hot tub, and two aft decks of loungers not accessible to everyone else. It's not by the pool, but it is quiet - and carries with it the benefit of being able to pop in easily to cool off.

I imagine it costs more on a longer cruise with more sea days... but still may be worth the splurge if you value those things!

Also it may be beneficial to pay for "Serene Area" access for the entire cruise depending on what they are offering it for that sailing. It was $100 for the entire cruise on a recent Baltic trip. It includes unlimited access to the serene area (steam room, dry sauna, warm chairs, Kniepp walk, dedicated hot tub, and two aft decks of loungers not accessible to everyone else. It's not by the pool, but it is quiet - and carries with it the benefit of being able to pop in easily to cool off.

I imagine it costs more on a longer cruise with more sea days... but still may be worth the splurge if you value those things!

,,,very much worth...AGREED!

• 2 weeks later...

I love deck 5. 2 hot tubs and a little dipping pool, and probably beds/ seating for 20 but was never crowded. Help yourself soft drinks and the waiters come around every 15-30 minutes to take any orders.

We cruised the Straits of Messina on our sea day and it was the perfect spot, as you get a good view of everything as you sail by. Oh happy days! :)

We love the serene area. An outdoor bed facing aft surrounded by linen privacy curtains...

No other people noise or traffic what so ever.

The spa attendant respecting your privacy but always there with a spray of Evian water (that's naive spelled backwards) or ready to take your drink refill order if you wish.

Nobody to look over your shoulder at the smut you're reading...unless you want them to.

That's the kinda 'lounger' we look forward to on SB cruises.

___‹~›__‹(•¿•)›__‹~›___

Just back from 20 days on the Quest in the Med. The pool area was great in the mornings. The afternoons, however, it turned into a zoo even on port days. There were quite a few kids and many adults acting like teenagers (canonballs into the pool). This was where the serene area was a real bonus. We paid 300$ for the 2 of us for the duration of the cruise. Worth every penny.

Just back from 20 days on the Quest in the Med. The pool area was great in the mornings. The afternoons, however, it turned into a zoo even on port days. There were quite a few kids and many adults acting like teenagers (canonballs into the pool). This was where the serene area was a real bonus. We paid 300$ for the 2 of us for the duration of the cruise. Worth every penny.

Serene area every day for me,it gets you away from the crowd.:rolleyes:

Serene area every day for me,it gets you away from the crowd.:rolleyes:

We agree.

On 3 separate Odyssey class cruises, we booked the semi-private serene area. Each time there were few to any others who likewise did so. The only other visitors were those who were having spa treatments which gave them access for the day.

We've seen such little use of the serene area, it makes us wonder if SB might change the venue?

Four Penthouse suites have been added to deck 10 aft which was little used.

The entire serene area with fountain pools, 'orb' like warming beds and outdoor aft section IMO would be ripe for the SB bean counters to target it for changes to get higher use and more revs.

I hope I'm wrong.

___‹~›__‹(•¿•)›__‹~›___

Great glad to hear I don't have to deal with all the chair savers. Totally annoying when you end up getting the worst chair on the deck simply because everyone else has dropped a magazine on a chair so they can come back hours later and occupy the seat.

Don't the stewards remove that stuff from the loungers routinely?

Maybe it's just me, but junk on loungers has never stopped me from selecting whichever one I want, as long as the occupant is not currently nearby, such as in the pool or chatting with someone. Don't we all know that the books, etc. are just there to stake out a place? Don't let 'em get away with it!

IMO it's worth paying the $100.00 a week for the Serence Area just to avoid the Chair Hoggs and Drama by the pool, kids running around doing donuts and the yelling and banter that goes on daily on these ships by the pool. Or another quiet area is Deck 5 AFT.

Don't the stewards remove that stuff from the loungers routinely?

Maybe it's just me, but junk on loungers has never stopped me from selecting whichever one I want, as long as the occupant is not currently nearby, such as in the pool or chatting with someone. Don't we all know that the books, etc. are just there to stake out a place? Don't let 'em get away with it!

well that explains why someone stole my Copenhagen Guidebook from my lounge then. i walked down to my suite, to get my glasses, same level as the pool and when I came back the book was gone, my son, who was sitting beside me was in the pool at the time...

No one reoccupied the seat though...

I don't think a passenger should move another person's belongings. It could be as stated the person has just gone to their suite for a minute. And in some cases in the past my husband and I have gone down to the Sky Grill for a quick lunch while keeping our belongings on a chairs on deck 10. I would be rather annoyed if a fellow passengers moved our stuff.If you notice unattended belongings on a chair for a long period of time I think the best thing to do is find a deck steward and ask them to move the items.

There should be a thirty minute rule. If you notice a lounge unoccupied for that length of time you should have an attendant remove the contents and claim it.

Those that take two hours to have lunch will not be so keen on your idea Henry,I agree with you but would probably say one hour to remove things.

Those that take two hours to have lunch will not be so keen on your idea Henry,I agree with you but would probably say one hour to remove things.

Yes an hour should be plenty...

We did have one dear lady on Sea Day who placed her beach bags on 2 chairs straight after breakfast at 9 and they were still there at 12pm no sign of the lady. We'd followed her out of breakfast on the way to our room

Obviously she was a practised lounge hog... and knew a book would be removed ;)

the sad part was she didn't really need to do that, OK so maybe she wouldn;t have gotten the 2 lounges closest to the bar in the sun

Yes an hour should be plenty...

We did have one dear lady on Sea Day who placed her beach bags on 2 chairs straight after breakfast at 9 and they were still there at 12pm no sign of the lady. We'd followed her out of breakfast on the way to our room

Obviously she was a practised lounge hog... and knew a book would be removed ;)

the sad part was she didn't really need to do that, OK so maybe she wouldn;t have gotten the 2 lounges closest to the bar in the sun

The current policy is 30 minutes grace for loungers...so eat quick!:eek:

Archived