Specialty dining on my own?

jjdc

I've often cruised solo and do really enjoy it, but I've only ever gone to the specialty restaurants when I've had a traveling companion. I'm contemplating purchasing the Chef's Table or maybe the Chef's Table Dining package for my upcoming cruise on Brilliance of the Seas. I am interested in hearing from any solo cruisers who have gone to the Chef's Table or specialty restaurants and are willing to share their opinions of the experience as a solo diner.

I'm not a solo traveler but we did the Chef's Table in May. I think that it would be a wonderful setting for someone traveling alone. We had 5 couples but a single person could've fit right in. My opinion is Go for it!! :D

I'm not a solo traveler but we did the Chef's Table in May. I think that it would be a wonderful setting for someone traveling alone. We had 5 couples but a single person could've fit right in. My opinion is Go for it!! :D

Thanks! I appreciate your perspective on this.

I agree that the Chef's table is an excellent idea because they put folks together to make the full table.

I would imagine that any other specialty restaurant would staff would also make you feel comfortable as a solo diner. I've not cruised solo, but because of business travel have dined solo in many restaurants.

enjoy

M

I have dined solo at specialty restaurants and if anything, the servers were even more attentive and friendly than usual. I never felt unwelcome. My one fail was on another line at a dinner show. I had an obstruction in my line of sight at a banquette for 4 and since I didn't know them, felt uncomfortable with asking them to scoot together so I could move in more to be able to see. Would have been awkward to practically be sitting on the polite strangers laps!:eek::eek:

I remember seeing a solo traveler on our Allure cruise on Chops, so no issues there. But the Chef's table sound like a great idea, I think that would be my choice if I was traveling solo.

Have fun :)

I dined solo at Chops Grille and Giovannis Table with no problems at all. The servers were great - as a single female, there were a few stares from other tables (couples) but that doesnt bother me in the slightest. I found it a welcome relief to dine solo. In the MDR. I always seem to be placed on a large table and the many conversations make my head ring! Dining solo is so peaceful.

I went on the Brilliance on the November repositioning cruise solo. I went to Portofino and Chops solo. I brought my Nook with me to read. At Chops, I asked for small portions on the side dishes and they were able to do that. I think I tried 3.

Both were very good and would do both again. I asked for a table by the window,but it was too dark in November to see anything, but if you go in August and dine early you should have a great view.

I plan to book Portofinos for my upcoming Explorer cruise for 1 or 2 nights as there is no Chops.

Enjoy your cruise!

I do a lot of solo cruising, and I think I've done all of the specialty restaurants except for the Chef's Table by myself. Honestly, I think I actually prefer the specialties over the dining room.

The waitstaff is always extra attentive when I'm by myself. I've found that I have NEVER been turned away from a specialty restaurant as a single without reservations, so I don't have to make any definite plans, which is my preference. Generally, I just walk up and tell the Maitre 'D that I'm a single and that I'm curious if they might have any availability for me that evening. Every single time the response has been, "but of course." Now, sometimes I've had to kill some time and come back later, but that's been rare.

The one time I did the dining room as a single, I got stuck at a table with a group of people that I just didn't really want to spend even five minutes with. That was my last trip that I used the dining room. Now, in all fairness, that was before MTD, I probably should give it another shot sometime.

To the solo cruisers, would it be intrusive if a couple dining in a specialty restaurant asked you to join them? We have never been faced with this but am curious if it would be out of line.

As a frequent solo diner, I certainly don't think it would be out of line to ask. It has happened to me and have enjoyed some lovely dinner conversations as a result. On one occasion I ended up joining a family of five in Portofino's who had me laughing all night.

Just understand that some solo diners may prefer to stay solo, so while your thoughtful gesture may be appreciated, you may receive a polite "no thank you" in response.

I guess I'd ask what your purpose in dining alone is.

I'm travelling with my husband, but I have made a reservation for the Chef's Table alone. I am a foodie, my wonderful husband isn't, and that's a lot of money to waste on someone who wouldn't appreciate it. I *am* looking forward to conversing about the dishes with other foodies as well as the chef! I've practically hijacked one of my daughter's friends because he's a foodie too.

If you are looking to enjoy good food in peace and quiet, I suspect you would enjoy your solo dining. From the comments from more experienced cruisers, it sounds like it wouldn't be an issue for the staff (which is pretty much what I would have expected).

To the solo cruisers, would it be intrusive if a couple dining in a specialty restaurant asked you to join them? We have never been faced with this but am curious if it would be out of line.

I personally would not find this intrusive at all, but very welcoming. Due to various circumstances, I have cruised solo twice, and I prefer not to dine alone.

I really appreciated reading everyone's comments. I'm thoroughly convinced on booking the Chef's Table and am leaning toward going ahead and booking the Chef's Table dining package with the dinners at the specialty restaurant as well. It's a pretty good deal.

I do typically enjoy the opportunity for conversation over dinner, but with the string of busy days on a Baltics cruise, I actually might enjoy a quiet dinner on some nights. I had grown really tired of the old Royal Caribbean menu, and I've always enjoyed the food at Chops and Portofino when I've dined at them when traveling with friends. The step up in quality is what is making me consider them in the first place.

It's good to know that Chops will bring small portions of the side dishes. I hope Giovanni's Table might be able to make a single-sized portion of one of their appetizers that show on the menu as for two.

• 1 month later...

If you prefer not to dine alone, one idea is to check your roll call to see if anyone would like to join you. Some folks on our upcoming roll call are doing that very thing by linking reservations so I wouldn't be surprised if there was something similar on yours.

I've done the Chef's Table as a solo and thoroughly enjoyed it, especially my dinner companions. I was the only solo but none of the other couples knew each other but we were all there for the same purpose so had plenty to talk about...enjoying great food and great wine...wonderful experience!:)

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement! I did book the Chef's Table Dining package. I met some really nice people at the Chef's Table plus had the good fortune of there being a couple of people I had met at the Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle there. It was not at all uncomfortable as a solo. I enjoyed Giovanni's Table on my own. I ended up going to Chops with a couple I had met in the Diamond Lounge, and one of my table mates wanted to go to Izumis so we went together. I believe though that I would have been well looked after and would have felt comfortable as a solo diner had I gone to either of those alone.

Thanks everyone for all the encouragement! I did book the Chef's Table Dining package. I met some really nice people at the Chef's Table plus had the good fortune of there being a couple of people I had met at the Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle there. It was not at all uncomfortable as a solo. I enjoyed Giovanni's Table on my own. I ended up going to Chops with a couple I had met in the Diamond Lounge, and one of my table mates wanted to go to Izumis so we went together. I believe though that I would have been well looked after and would have felt comfortable as a solo diner had I gone to either of those alone.

I've been there! Then after you have done it once, you realize there is a reason why you cruise alone, and then after meeting strangers, and you dine with them......well, naturally, YOU GET IT!....next time you will be WAY better off just dining by yourself!

I did a solo cruise on Freedom and dined at Chops, Portofino, MDR and Windjammer. It was my only time cruising solo and was not originally planned that way - last minute schedule conflict. The staff was fantastic, especially at the specialty restaurants - they spent extra time and went out of their way to make it a great experience. As you might expect, there were limits (the waiter had other tables), so I'd recommend bringing some kind of entertainment (book, smart phone with games) if you are going to be at a table by yourself. Dining in the MDR was no different solo than otherwise. The experience really came down to the other folks at the table. Probably the least enjoyable dining experiences I had solo from a social perspective were in the Windjammer (breakfast/lunch). Unless I happened to bump into someone I knew, it was all food, no chit-chat. From what I've heard about the Chef's Table, I'd book it solo without question.

Archived