How much to tip for room service

Hi, I appreciate what you' saying but room service staff do not receive any share of your pre paid or daily added tips. Therefore if you don't tip them they won't reap any financial benefit for taking good care of you and serving you right in your room as the other staff do who receive a share of the tips you mention.

Have another think about just tipping the room service staff a token tip. It would be very much appreciated.

Happy Cruising :-)

They are included so I choose not to double tip, my perogative.

Gratuities

From RCL website

Q: What is the Automatic Gratuity Program?

A: To simplify the service recognition process, Royal Caribbean automatically adds a $12.00 USD gratuity ($14.25 USD for Suite Guests) to each guest’s SeaPass® account on a daily basis. This gratuity is shared by Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants other Housekeeping Services Personnel that work to enhance your cruise. The daily automatic gratuity amounts are recommended and are based on customary industry standards.

Q: How does my gratuity help the crew and who does it go to?

A:

Our guests' complete satisfaction is the goal of every crew and staff member onboard. The gratuity is shared between the crew members who serve guests throughout their vacation.

Guest gratuities go to the following crew and staff members:

Dining Services

Stateroom Attendant

Other Housekeeping Personnel

"People are brainwashed into thinking they need to tip for everything when they have tipped sufficiently if they leave their $12 PP PD intact which I do."

Gratuities

From RCL website

A: To simplify the service recognition process, Royal Caribbean automatically adds a $12.00 USD gratuity ($14.25 USD for Suite Guests) to each guest’s SeaPass® account on a daily basis. This gratuity is shared by Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants other Housekeeping Services Personnel that work to enhance your cruise. The daily automatic gratuity amounts are recommended and are based on customary industry standards.

A:

Our guests' complete satisfaction is the goal of every crew and staff member onboard. The gratuity is shared between the crew members who serve guests throughout their vacation.

Dining Services

Stateroom Attendant

I think we must be part of the brainwashed people, because a few dollars to the person that actually ran our food directly to our stateroom, really doesn't affect us, or impact our spending budget in the slightest. :)

Slightly off-topic (sorry). Help me out here. I was invited by a newly encountered fellow cruiser to join a party in his OS last year. Room service showed up with about 4 each of 4 or 5 appetizers, individually prepared. I know the host tipped generously, but I've always wondered if there was an extra charge for what was clearly "party food"?

check out this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1881738&highlight=party+10 towards the end, you'll see the extra "party food" menu options & prices.

Gratuities

From RCL website

A:

Dining Services

Stateroom Attendant

Room service staff do not fall under dining services or other housekeeping personnel. They do not share in the Automatic Gratuity Program.

check out this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1881738&highlight=party+10 towards the end, you'll see the extra "party food" menu options & prices.

Room service staff do not fall under dining services or other housekeeping personnel. They do not share in the Automatic Gratuity Program.

They do share in the tipping pool but you're welcome to believe what you want. I have inquired about this from the staff on several occasions and they all told me (pursers desk) they are in the pool. I find the issue of tipping is a hot topic that many CC"ers try to push down the throats of those less knowledgeable about their auto tips.

They do share in the tipping pool but you're welcome to believe what you want. I have inquired about this from the staff on several occasions and they all told me (pursers desk) they are in the pool. I find the issue of tipping is a hot topic that many CC"ers try to push down the throats of those less knowledgeable about their auto tips.

Let me rephrase my response to be clearer. To my knowledge, the staff running room service orders to your cabin likely share in the auto grats for their regular job. However, the room service job is extra. The staff moonlight (for lack of a better term) as room service delivery for extra money which they earn via tips. Therefore, your auto gratuity does not cover room service.

Thanks for all the replies.

So what happens if you don't tip? Do they kind of hang about waiting for it?

(I'm not really accustomed to staying in hotels and such)

Actually, no. They jet out of the room pretty quick. In fact, I've felt like I had to sorta chase them in the room to give them their tip.

We usually tip $10 when we have a full dinner delivered, $5 for breakfast.

###

This is what we do also. In addition, if someone brings strawberries or other treats to the room, we tip $2.

You also asked about what currency, we use US dollars. My suggestion is to do what you are comfortable with and not worry what anyone else does.

Enjoy your cruise!

I guess I tip for room service because I'm selfish. It makes me feel good to reward the person who carries a tray that far just so I can eat or drink in my stateroom.
We feel the same way. I would rather be like us than someone like cruzesnooze.:eek:

On a recent med cruise, we tipped 3 euros for coffees, cake etc and 5euro for breakfast. We also requested the same young lady to deliver each morning (she suggested we write on the breakfast menu for her to deliver.)

Although you could order breakfast on the interactive tv there didnt seem to be an option for toasted bread, so reverted to the handwritten option.

Meant to raise this through the guest survey with rci.

Gratuities

From RCL website

A:

Dining Services

Stateroom Attendant

They are not included for room service staff.

dining staff it refers to are MDR and Windjammer staff and other housekeeping staff it refers to are people who assist your stateroom attendant.

It is your prerogative not to tip room service but if you did tip them you WOULDN'T be double tipping just rewarding them for serving you.

You are wrong. I have also enquired many times with staff and guest services (there aren't any pursers or pursers desks now I'm afraid, at least on RCI - I think that may have been a Love Boat and 1980's phenomenon)

When was your last RCI cruise ????

Room service staff DO NOT share in the auto gratuities.

Why would you feel cheap? That's the average everyone else gives, as stated in this thread.

If we have ordered room service, we stick the tip in that little card holder that holds the "Do not Disturb/Make up Room" card. We started doing that after "someone" (not me :rolleyes:) would order room service and then go and read a magazine in the bathroom at some inappropriate time.

So now, whomever orders or puts the tag out is responsible for putting tip money in the card slot at the same time. :D:):D

thanks for the "tip." That's a great idea.

They are not included for room service staff.

dining staff it refers to are MDR and Windjammer staff and other housekeeping staff it refers to are people who assist your stateroom attendant.

It is your prerogative not to tip room service but if you did tip them you WOULDN'T be double tipping just rewarding them for serving you.

Actually I'm told they are included. Unless RCL comes out and says differently there will be some controversy. So I will continue to NOT double tip.

Room service staff work behind the scenes in the kitchen and are NOT part of the tipped staff but if it makes you feel better about not giving a gratuity then so be it.

It has nothing to do with feeling better, it has to do with Not double tipping. RCL needs to reverse what I'm told and clarify and until they do I will listen to those who told me at the guest relations desk that they are included.

We feel the same way. I would rather be like us than someone like cruzesnooze.:eek:
You'd rather be rude, very sad for you. To pass judgement this way makes you incredibly insensitive and above rude. Your opinion is just that YOURS and shouldn't be made into fact. I won't be back to this thread so fire away..........

Archived