How much to tip for room service

Hi all

What is a sensible tip for room service? We have pre-paid our tips, but I gather this doesn't cover room service. What is a sensible tip (and in what currency?!) to give the attendant?

Many thanks

We just calculate about what the food would cost and what we would tip in a land based café. Coffee and juice in the morning, probably a couple of dollars, US. Dinner a bit more since there would be more food, maybe $5.00 or so. Really we feel comfortable with the amount we would normally tip for the food ordered at a local restaurant. One hint, better have the tip in hand, they sometimes move fast getting out of the cabin. I have chased waiters down more than once! LOL!

.......... One hint, better have the tip in hand, they sometimes move fast getting out of the cabin. I have chased waiters down more than once! LOL!
At the beginning of the cruise, we go down and exchange a $20 bill for 20 singles, which we keep in a drawer handy to the entrance to our cabin.

Whenever the stash of singles starts to run low, we go back down and break another $20, so we always have tips readily available.

That way there is never a need to get the tip ready or chase anyone down when we order room service because the tip is is always ready, close at hand.

We just reach in and grab as many dollar bills as appropriate each time, depending on the size of the order.

Hi all

What is a sensible tip for room service? We have pre-paid our tips, but I gather this doesn't cover room service. What is a sensible tip (and in what currency?!) to give the attendant?

Many thanks

We never used to tip room service anything but we have now started tipping $2 for a tray of drinks or drinks/snacks or $3 for more than one tray or a larger meal.

I feel cheap. We usually just get coffee in the morning before going to the gym and give 2-$3.00.

Why would you feel cheap? That's the average everyone else gives, as stated in this thread.

If we have ordered room service, we stick the tip in that little card holder that holds the "Do not Disturb/Make up Room" card. We started doing that after "someone" (not me :rolleyes:) would order room service and then go and read a magazine in the bathroom at some inappropriate time.

So now, whomever orders or puts the tag out is responsible for putting tip money in the card slot at the same time. :D:):D

We never used to tip room service anything but we have now started tipping $2 for a tray of drinks or drinks/snacks or $3 for more than one tray or a larger meal.

Wow there is light at the end of the tunnel..........that is great:) Your not so bad after all.

Are you coming over from the '' dark side'', not the response I expected from you. :thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

I feel cheap. We usually just get coffee in the morning before going to the gym and give 2-$3.00.

Because that's how to extort extra money, guilt. The staff can give some sob story about their family back home etc etc etc.....but it's just that a sob story. I leave my daily tips intact and don't feel the need to reinvent the wheel. The cruise line has already figured out how much they want to satisfy their payroll for staff and charge me that amount daily, so why should I second guess them.

Since it is included in the daily tipping pool I pay automatically I don't feel the need to double tip.

Hi, I appreciate what you' saying but room service staff do not receive any share of your pre paid or daily added tips. Therefore if you don't tip them they won't reap any financial benefit for taking good care of you and serving you right in your room as the other staff do who receive a share of the tips you mention.

Have another think about just tipping the room service staff a token tip. It would be very much appreciated.

Happy Cruising :-)

I do know that many people on the east side of "the pond" think we Americans are tipping crazy, and in some instances we are, I think (c'mon people, a tip jar at the register at a gas station? A convenience store? puleeeeeze!)

Almost every single person that I have ever seen working on a cruise ship, however, is working very hard, very long hours, usually with a smile on his/her face and their salary from the cruise line is not much, IMO. Rewarding these people, some who will go above and beyond to make the customer happy, with a tip is certainly my pleasure.:)

Slightly off-topic (sorry). Help me out here. I was invited by a newly encountered fellow cruiser to join a party in his OS last year. Room service showed up with about 4 each of 4 or 5 appetizers, individually prepared. I know the host tipped generously, but I've always wondered if there was an extra charge for what was clearly "party food"?

Hi, I appreciate what you' saying but room service staff do not receive any share of your pre paid or daily added tips. Therefore if you don't tip them they won't reap any financial benefit for taking good care of you and serving you right in your room as the other staff do who receive a share of the tips you mention.

Nice!!!

###

Slightly off-topic (sorry). Help me out here. I was invited by a newly encountered fellow cruiser to join a party in his OS last year. Room service showed up with about 4 each of 4 or 5 appetizers, individually prepared. I know the host tipped generously, but I've always wondered if there was an extra charge for what was clearly "party food"?

I doubt there was an up charge. They cold have been VIPs and they get stuff like that, esp. in an Owners Suite.

While tipping is certainly a personal decision, we always tip room service. $3-5 depending on the size of the order. I also like to tip in the Diamond and Concierge Lounge. Some at the beginning.,some at the end.

Archived