Specialty restaurants

We do 1 night Chops and one night Portifino. I don't have a list reasons of not eating in the MDR like people have been replying because we like it and don't care about the crowd and noise level etc etc etc and we eat there for dinner every night other than the reserved nights I mentioned. So we do chops one night and Portifino one night just todo something different a couple of nights.

I have not tried the specialty dining. I have always been happy with the MDR experience. Money is always an issue. In my case I need to save for a few years between cruises and would rather spend money on excursions rather than food. However, I am glad to hear all the positive remarks regarding specialty dining. Perhaps I will save a little extra and try one of the dining rooms on my next cruises.

I know the mentality of having already paid for the food in the MDR, but consider what just an entree would cost at a semi-decent steakhouse at home. Maybe you could get a piece of chicken for $30 but not a nice steak. And that wouldn't include appetizers, sides and dessert either.

I thought of asking this as a poll, but wasn't sure how to do it. :confused:

So the question is :

Do you dine in the specialty restaurants? Frequently, occasionally or never? And why/ why not? Service, food, atmosphere, special occasion, or other reason?

Thanks for your input!

...but , after reading this thread, I think we will try at one on our upcoming Celebrity Panama Canal cruise.

We never have as it seemed silly to pay for a meal when a perfectly good meal is already provided.

However, as shareholders of the major cruise lines, we are always credited with on-board ship credits that we don't always use. I think I'll celebrate my birthday on one of the speciality restaurants as a shareholder perk.

KATYDYD- I, too am sometimes a solo cruiser, and LOVE IT!...How did you feel dining alone in the specialty restaurants? I feel the Exact same way as you in that I don't feel it is necessarily or all that interesting spending an entire meal with others. Was it comfortable for you in the specialty restaurants, and which ones did you go to? Thanks.

Hi Katydyd-

Did you dine at Chops and/or Portofino's on Freedom of the Seas? If so, did they have seating for one near a window or side area available instead of in a crowded area in the middle of other diners? That's my main concern. Thanks.

So the question is :

Do you dine in the specialty restaurants? Frequently, occasionally or never? And why/ why not? Servie, food, atmosphere, special occasion, or other reason?

Thanks for your input!

Yes to Frequently, and yes to all the reasons, plus great food.

My husband wanted to try one of the specialty restaurants on the FOS, but we have 3 kids. It would get pricey. It doesn't seem fair to ditch them because this is a family vacation. The only meal on the cruise that we are together each day is dinner. We look forward to dressing up and sitting together. Then, the kids are off to their teen club until 1 am! If it were just the 2 of us, I think we would do at least one night somewhere else. On the FOS, the cooks were introduced one night, then the guest services another night, etc. It was a festive time at the end of each dinner and I am glad that I didn't miss it.

Robinola--it's been a while since I've been on the Freedom, but I think that I was near the windows with in both of those venues. I can say for sure, that I was NEVER placed in the middle of the room by myself like I was on display. Honestly, I've always been very comfortable and happy with my specialty dining experiences.

So the question is :

Do you dine in the specialty restaurants? Frequently, occasionally or never? And why/ why not? Service, food, atmosphere, special occasion, or other reason?

Thanks for your input!

Yes we do frequently because the food is better and atmosphere is much better.

We dine in other venues about twice per cruise depending on the ship. Smaller ones, most likey once. Next time on the Oasis or Allure we might up it to 3. We like trying different things. And the costs by NY standards are low

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Robinola--it's been a while since I've been on the Freedom, but I think that I was near the windows with in both of those venues. I can say for sure, that I was NEVER placed in the middle of the room by myself like I was on display. Honestly, I've always been very comfortable and happy with my specialty dining experiences.

Thank you for the helpful information, Katydyd!

Robinola--I've always enjoyed eating in the specialty restaurants. The wait staff is very attentive, my service does tend to be a little quicker than when I'm dining and chatting with other people, but it's never rushed.

One of the things that I really enjoy is that I tend to be able to walk up the day of, and get seated. Usually smiling and saying to the Maitre D', "Hi, I don't have a reservation, but I'm travelling solo and was wondering if you'd be able to accommodate me this evening?" results in getting a table. Actually, I've never been turned away doing this, cause it's easy to squeeze a single in. On a few occasions they've asked me to go have a drink and come back in an hour, but that's been rare.

Once on the Mariner, I ate in Portofino's on the second night, and thoroughly enjoyed myself, both my server and the Maitre 'D would stop by and chat with me in between courses. When I went to leave the Maitre 'D said to me, "Any night you want to join us this week, just come on by, we'll save a seat for you by the windows." I ate there two more times that week.

So far, I've eaten at: Chops, Portofinos, 150 Central Park (twice in one week so I could try each menu), Izumi, Seafood Shack, and Johnny Rockets....I think that's it.

I echo this completely. I am a solo cruiser and I LOVE the specialty restaurants when I'm on my own.

I have no desire to use my dinner hour to meet people. Perhaps I might enjoy someone's company. But more likely than not, it's only going to "cramp my style". I like a leisurely paced meal, and I sense I would have to rush through to assuage my dining companions.

I've never felt even the slightest bit uncomfortable dining alone in the specialty restaurants. The service, the food, the whole experience is wonderful!

WE did on the Glory in May. We each have a free steakhouse for two meal because we are Diamond. The captain joined us (we have known him a while) and it was enjoyable but I couldn't finish all the lamb chops. The onion soup was so much darker and better than in the MDR. Everything was so good! But I had trouble finishing each course waiting for the next. I don't think any of us had deserts- no room. We will do it again but don't know what ship yet, perhaps with the same captain if we are on his ship.

We did Chops, giovannis last year, due to the food taste on Oasis, this year we were not sure if the food would be improved, so we booked it again, wHY? Because CHOPS IS OFF THE HOOK, down right fantastic... and Giovannis.. had the best mozzarella wrapped in piscuitto.. The specialty is quieter, more intimate, and better service in my eyes.. I will book it again. I liked the nights of just hubby and I having dinner alone.

So the question is :

Thanks for your input!

WE did on the Glory in May. We each have a free steakhouse for two meal because we are Diamond. The captain joined us (we have known him a while) and it was enjoyable but I couldn't finish all the lamb chops. The onion soup was so much darker and better than in the MDR. Everything was so good! But I had trouble finishing each course waiting for the next. I don't think any of us had deserts- no room. We will do it again but don't know what ship yet, perhaps with the same captain if we are on his ship.

GLORY? Did Royal add a new ship without telling us???

At least once. On our upcoming cruise, we will dine in all of 4 of the ones onboard (it's a 12 day cruise, we have 2 birthdays in our party, and the menus all look really good). We did the chef's table on my previous cruise (with Carnival, on the Splendor). It was really neat. I'd definitely do another Chef's Table.

We dine in specialty restaurants (chops and Portofino) 3-4 nights on a 7 night cruise. The reason? We aren't interested in the pork-chicken-pasta stuff in the main dining room. Even the prime rib last cruise in MDR was bad. The other nights we do windjammer. there will be MDR lovers here and more power to them. We burned out on MDR same old same old (waiter, bread, salad, etc etc). The specialty dining venue's are a cooked to order fine restaurant, compared to the mass buffet in the main dining room. No real comparison.

k

The MDR is worse than the Windjammer? Not for me....if I never ate in Windjammer EVER again, I would be fine....I dislike the atmosphere, the food, the table search, etc. Different strokes.....

As far as Specialty restaurants,,,,most cruises we will eat in them once or twice. Except on NCL, we eat exclusively in the specialty restaurants, in our experience the MDR was really terrible!

I know the mentality of having already paid for the food in the MDR, but consider what just an entree would cost at a semi-decent steakhouse at home. Maybe you could get a piece of chicken for $30 but not a nice steak. And that wouldn't include appetizers, sides and dessert either.

I have to kindly disagree. :) I can easily get a Choice cut steak like whats served in Chops, a side, salad and a dessert AND tip for around 30.00. No, certainly you cant at Ruths Chris or Capital Grille but the steaks in Chops arent near that quality anyway.

Other than a nicer and quieter atmosphere with a little better service, I really didnt find Chops to be any better than a local Outback or Longhorn. Now if Chops served dry aged Prime cuts like Carnivals steakhouse does, that would be different!

Im not saying I didnt enjoy Chops because I most certainly did. I dont think I would go back though. I find the MDR food to be just fine plus Chops removed my favorite steak and dessert from their menu :(

I actually prefer a bit of "noise" rather than feeling like I'm in such a vacuum as the specialty restaurants. I actually thought they were a little overrated. I don't have a problem with the food in the MDR. I've always found something that I enjoyed. I don't enjoy 3 hours in a dining room..specialty or not. We've always received EXCELLENT service in the MDR. I don't use the Windjammer for dinner and LOVE going to the MDR for breakfast. Everyone has a different opinion.

I have to agree with ryano about Chops - we found it to be good, but not extraordinary. Loved 150 Central Park! Really enjoyed (and would go back to) Portofino.

I've only tried Windjammer for dinner once, and that was a few years ago on Majesty. I found it to be crowded and missed the nice presentation of each course that we get in the MDR. OTOH, I love the Windjammer for lunch, as well as the Park Cafe. Generally do MDR for lunch at least once each trip.

For breakfast, DH loves the variety of Windjammer; I enjoy a mix of MDR, WJ, and room service breakfasts.

When traveling with a family group, we tend to dine in the MDR every night, and have not been disappointed in a long time (only "poor" night was the old Caribbean Night menu, IMHO).

Mary

Is it $30 per person, that's about £45 for a meal for two, not counting wine, seems expensive to me for a supplement. That's nearly as much as we would pay for a decent restaurant at home so full price meal out price not a supplement.

Dont' get me wrong we will definitely by trying them at least one night but I do think it's a bit much, not a small extra charge as sometimes mentioned on here.

You got the exchange backward. That's about 20 GBP.

We have all of our dinners in the Specialty Restaurants. It's more for the quiet atmosphere, attentive service, and food cooked to order than the food itself.

Eating in the Main Dining Room reminds me of the chow hall when I was in college. The background noise makes it hard to hear each other speak.

My husband likes his steaks very well done, and bit of blood showing will cause him to lose his appetite. The Main Dining Room tends to serve steak either Medium Rare or Medium Well, and the Specialty Dining is a much safer bet.

Also, the views from the Specialty Restaurants are usually amazing, and worth some of the charge.

Archived