Cycling in port?

I do alot of cycling or bike riding. Has anyone ever taken their road bike on a cruise and rode the islands when in port? I thought it would be kind of neat. Is this a safe thing to do? Is there a cost to bring bike if even possible and anyone know how much? Thanks

Unless you had a rather large cabin, I do not know where the bike would fit. Although on this website: http://www.royalcruiseworld.com/sites/65130/pdf/bike-cruise-flyer_rcw.pdf

The are talking about the FOS having a bike cruise, so they must allow bikes (at least for this trip).

I had thought about borrowing my friend's Segway for a cruise, but have not thought of a way to get it to Florida from Massachusetts easily..

I do alot of cycling or bike riding. Has anyone ever taken their road bike on a cruise and rode the islands when in port? I thought it would be kind of neat. Is this a safe thing to do? Is there a cost to bring bike if even possible and anyone know how much? Thanks

I'm not sure if you can bring your bike. But when I thought about it, wouldn't it be easier to rent a bike in port? I'm sure every port would have somewhere you can rent a bike for a couple hours.

I looked into this a few years ago. Check the itinerary because some islands are more bike friendly than others. Some will have biking excursions or rentals. The main issue will be the proximity of the port to bike-friendly areas.

I am almost sure I have seen people wheeling bicycles off the ship before.

Some people on this site will tell you it is not allowed because they don't want you to bring it.

Before you listen to the experts, you might want to check with the cruiseline..

Some people on this site will tell you it is not allowed because they don't want you to bring it.

Most likely crew of some description.

With all the cruises I have been on I have never seen anyone leave a bike with their luggage on embarkation day, or pushing one up the gangway, or in the elevator, at the pool deck or in the Windjammer. But, I have seen them on the all access tour in the crew area. There were a few of them.

You can check with RCI, but if they have a hard time with golf clubs, I would think a bike could have the same problems.

I love bikes. I wish RCI would allow them. THEY are the ones who say no. Both in their policies (sorry, can't find it now but it has been posted on CC before) and every time I ask on-board "for future reference"

I HAVE seen and heard of people being successful in bringing on folding bikes. DH and I are considering buying some just for cruises (lots of good places to bike in port in the Med ;) ).

Did you read the link in post 4 above?:rolleyes:

But see:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=2608&faqSubjectId=334&faqType=faq

Perhaps Australian bikes are more dangerous? Or perhaps another example of RCI website inconsistency?

Also the guest conduct policy says bicycles may not be "utilized" ["utilized" = verbose synonym for "used"] on board which to me seems to imply they can be on board for shore-side use.

But see:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=2608&faqSubjectId=334&faqType=faq

Perhaps Australian bikes are more dangerous? Or perhaps another example of RCI website inconsistency?

Also the guest conduct policy says bicycles may not be "utilized" ["utilized" = verbose synonym for "used"] on board which to me seems to imply they can be on board for shore-side use.

I am not sure what it is that you are showing us? The link you attached sends me to the same FAQ I posted that says bikes are not allowed.

** Nevermind, I needed to clear my cache. When I posted the original link I did not notice that it was from the Aus site. I just did a google search and found it. That is interesting that it is not listed on the US FAQ

To the original poster, I think you could probably get away with it, if it is not listed on the site of the country you are departing from

thanks for all the responses. Its ashame they do not allow it. I think it would be neat to go for a long ride in the islands. Im not sure why they arent allowed unless they think people would ride them down the promenade haha I know i have seen motorcycle cruises and people with harleys. Not sure how this really isnt the same concept except with a motor.

I am not sure what it is that you are showing us? The link you attached sends me to the same FAQ I posted that says bikes are not allowed.

** Nevermind, I needed to clear my cache. When I posted the original link I did not notice that it was from the Aus site. I just did a google search and found it. That is interesting that it is not listed on the US FAQ

. . .

LOL -- for a minute there I thought I wasn't reading carefully enough. Or maybe the evil minions of RCI IT have started targeting different and inconsistent information to different customers - they would NEVER do THAT, would they? [insert favorite evil laugh here]

Though RCCL's website states that no bicycles are allowed on board, I would still advise OP to speak to RCCL directly particularly since I actually been on various RCCL's ships in line waiting to disembark at port seeing passengers and crew wheeling bicycles down the gangway.

What's posted may be there to serve as deterrent for people would want to bring on board theirs children's small bike for use on the ship. Yes there are people that want to bring their little's one tricycle on board.

thanks for all the responses. Its ashame they do not allow it. I think it would be neat to go for a long ride in the islands. Im not sure why they arent allowed unless they think people would ride them down the promenade haha I know i have seen motorcycle cruises and people with harleys. Not sure how this really isnt the same concept except with a motor.

Motorcycles are not the same concept as they're only allowed on a specific group cruises or charter in which there have been extensive arrangements between the tour group organizer and RCCL to have the motorcycles properly stored secured as cargo and insured which is all built into the passenger's cruise fare. A passenger not participating in such a group cruise or charter is not allowed to bring a motorcycle on board ship.

Archived