Sept 30 Cal Coastal- Catalina rather than Santa Barbara

mrstmaxx

Princess has recently been making changes to several of the 2014 and 2015 West Coast itineraries on the Grand and Star....but those are pretty far removed in time from your upcoming cruise. I suspect all you will ever hear is 'operational reasons', but it probably has something to do with port capacity and/or fees.

"Operational reasons" is the only explanation I've received for port changes & I believe that the Princess agents don't fully know the reasons for changes. SB has so much more to offer than Catalina & it's a shame that the OP won't be going to SB. :(

Where did you see this. There is a Sept 30 west coast getaway that is still Santa Barbara both on the Princess booking page and on my Personalizer for the cruise. I don't see a California Coastal on Sept 30 this year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Several years ago, we were scheduled for Santa Barbara (on the Sapphire) and it was changed to Catalina at the last moment. We asked the Captain onboard and they said Santa Barbara didn't want a ship our size. Sounded odd as our ship had been scheduled for a year to cruise there.

We did go to Santa Barbara last year on the Sapphire. We mentioned our previous experience to our guide and she said "oh yea, now Santa Barbara wants the cruise money, years ago, they didn't want the cruise ships". Apparently Santa Barbara has a love/hate relationship with cruise ships.

Not sure what the reason was for your change because recently Santa Barbara did want the cruise money.

We are on the coastal in April and SB is still listed, though Catalina is now shown on the map. Frankly, I wish they'd stop at Catalina instead of having two sea days - one to get from LA to SF and another one after SF.

I lived in SB for 7 years and I know there was a lot of push-back on having cruise ships there and Catalina needs to business. I wish they'd do both.

We are on the coastal in April and SB is still listed, though Catalina is now shown on the map. Frankly, I wish they'd stop at Catalina instead of having two sea days - one to get from LA to SF and another one after SF.

I lived in SB for 7 years and I know there was a lot of push-back on having cruise ships there and Catalina needs to business. I wish they'd do both.

I'm booked on the Grand next April 6th and personally I wouldn't mind the ship stopping at Catalina as I've never been there.

Booked on the Golden Princess for 10/24. I checked my personalizer and it too showed Catalina on the map but Santa Barbara on the verbage. I called Princess and was told the map was wrong, our cruise does visit Santa Barbara, not Catalina. I would cancel it if it ports in Catalina, Santa Barbara was the reason we booked this cruise. Call Princess to be sure.

We are booked on the September 30th cruise and the personalizer shows Santa Barbara on the itinerary and Catalina on the map. I just called Princess and the rep assured me that it is going to Santa Barbara. We are also booked on the September 26th cruise which stops in Catalina. I hope it really has not been changed.

I'm booked on the Grand next April 6th and personally I wouldn't mind the ship stopping at Catalina as I've never been there.

Catalina is very enjoyable. Especially for first timers. I'm sure you will have a lovely day. I've been many, many times as I have lived in Southern California most of my life

We are booked on the September 30th cruise and the personalizer shows Santa Barbara on the itinerary and Catalina on the map. I just called Princess and the rep assured me that it is going to Santa Barbara. We are also booked on the September 26th cruise which stops in Catalina. I hope it really has not been changed.

You just gave one good reason for alternating ports - one cruise to Catalina and the next one to Santa Barbara. It helps make B2B cruises more attractive.

Booked on the Golden Princess for 10/24. I checked my personalizer and it too showed Catalina on the map but Santa Barbara on the verbage. I called Princess and was told the map was wrong, our cruise does visit Santa Barbara, not Catalina. I would cancel it if it ports in Catalina, Santa Barbara was the reason we booked this cruise. Call Princess to be sure.

We are booked on the same cruise. We have been to Catalina and Ensenada numerous times, but never SB. That's why WE booked this cruise. :eek:

Pat

Thank you so much for everyone's responses!! I do agree with Trevon - I'm just glad to be back on a Princess ship!! We do live in the Los Angeles area and have been to Catalina and SB numerous times but we life SB best. Really looking forward to our upcoming 4 day cruise.

We stopped in Santa Barbara back in 2006. Thought it would be fun since my DIL had worked at the Maritime Museum there.

What a disaster! They almost strip searched us getting back on the ship. These were local guys, not Princess staff. They had the portable security door to walk through, wanded us and they literally patted people down. Everyone got patted down, no exceptions. Searched through our bags. The line to get back on the tender/ship was over an hour. It was hot that day too. We had to pull everything out and repack again. TSA check points still aren't as bad as this was. The line was about half a mile long. Made me sorry I even got off the ship. The worst re-boarding experience I've ever had. Since I live only an hour's drive away :rolleyes:... but we thought we'd check out the beach front.

Archived