trying to understand tips accounting

I don't really inderstand the difference in the accounting system between the two types of dining.

If you choose MTD they pre charge you the entire amount.

If you choose traditional dining they charge your SeaPass account daily $15. Why don't they charge the entire amount at once either at the beginning or the end of the cruise? Do they think that someone is going to get off mid voyage? You are going to be charged the entire amount anyway.

Additionally, can OBC be used to offset the gratuities charge?

Can anyway offer an explanation?

I don't really inderstand the difference in the accounting system between the two types of dining.

If you choose traditional dining they charge your SeaPass account daily $15. Why don't they charge the entire amount at once either at the beginning or the end of the cruise? Do they think that someone is going to get off mid voyage? You are going to be charged the entire amount anyway.

What difference does it make? Yes tips can be used against the daily charge. BTY you can pay in full before you board without having MTD.

Yes....OBC is a credit against any debits....including tips!

As far as when they charge you for the tips...not sure why it makes any difference, unless you are prebooking MTD....then, you can't use OBC....as you aren't on the ship yet! So, if you have OBC, you'll need to wait until you're onboard to book anything that you want to use that credit.

Guest maddycat

You're correct, gratuities should either be paid at the beginning or at the end of the cruise. Being charged daily doesn't make sense. You can use OBC to pay any expenses charged to your sea pass account on the cruise.

It is what it is. I've given up trying to understand every motive within the cruise line industry. I just go and have a good time.

Good attitude.

Thanks to all. It's good to see that I am not the only one who doesn't understand the system

I don't understand the inner working of the motor in my car. But I do know that I have to put gasoline in and learn how to push the start button. I'm happy with that limited knowledge and feel no need to understand it any further........lol.

I don't understand the inner working of the motor in my car. But I do know that I have to put gasoline in and learn how to push the start button. I'm happy with that limited knowledge and feel no need to understand it any further........lol.

You have a button? :D:):D

Also, if they charged the full tip amount on the first night, it could affect those who have cash accounts before OBC might potentially arrive. Imagine a family of four with a single cash account. If $336 were charged on the first night, they'd only have about $160 left to spend before their OBC was credited to the account.

is on the money! It is cash accounts or Debit card accounts and credit card accounts. As the week progresses, if a person gets to the limit set when they boarded, it will alert shipboard accounting and that person will be asked to come to the customer service desk...especially if RCI puts an additional hold on a person's card and the amount requested is rejected.

That way, they have a way of working out "arrangements" during the week versus waiting until the last night at sea.

You have a button? :D:):D

I had loaner car last week that they showed me how to start it with the button. They forgot to tell me how to shut it off.:eek:

Finally figured to press the start button to stop the engine. ??????

I had loaner car last week that they showed me how to start it with the button. They forgot to tell me how to shut it off.:eek:

Finally figured to press the start button to stop the engine. ??????

Thank you, I've heard/seen commercials of such cars, but I never knew how they worked. Other than a door key...how do you keep someone from stealing them? :)

Thank you, I've heard/seen commercials of such cars, but I never knew how they worked. Other than a door key...how do you keep someone from stealing them? :)

You have a "key" that has to be in close proximity to a sensor in the car.

The key fob "activates" the ability to start the car if you're within X amount of feet of the car.......no key fob......no start (you just leave it in your pocket)

ooops....didn't refresh to see it was answered already.....sorry about the duplicate post

Archived