NCL Desserts - seeking advice

West Coast Gal

My DH and I have very different interest in desserts so all opinions are gratefully accepted, I have been gathering from some of the threads that the desserts on NCL are hohum, especially in the buffet. I am a NCL 1st timer [was going to use the ''v"word but . . .] this coming December and am wanting to know what people's opinions of dessert and what are the don't miss desserts . . . . . I'm a chocolate gal, last trip with the kids, Carnival had Molten Lava Cake every night on their menu, I was in heaven. My DH is more of give him something with "fruit" in it kind of guy . . . DD is a vegan, do they have sorbets?

My response is based on Dawn sailings last summer and last week.

I'm like you - if it ain't chocolate, it ain't dessert and I have a philosophy called "worth eating." The only chocolate dessert I found worth eating every day was a chocolate crepe from the buffet. They also had a chocolate fountain available which was more of a milk chocolate. While I'm generally a big fan of LeBistro, the one chocolate dessert item that's a cake was what I call "architectural" - very pretty to look at, but didn't taste very good. Maybe I should have had the chocolate fondue with fruit. The pseudo chocolate dessert I saw on the Cagney's menu was Oreo cheesecake, but when I saw one being delivered, it looked like regular cheesecake with an Oreo on top. There was also a brownie dessert, but it wasn't like Duncan Hines fudgy.

I missed the big chocolate buffet night, so sorry I can't help you with that.

"Worth eating" means I now will have NO compunctions about downing an entire slice of flourless chocolate cake at Capital Grille on my birthday.

I didn't think that most deserts were really bad....they just were basically tasteless....looked good, no lip smacking good feeling!!

I don't really understand, since most of the NCL food is loaded with salt in other foods, why they can't put some taste in the desserts.

The best dessert to my mind is the made to order crepes in the buffet at night with a quick visit after grabbing yours to the ice cream bar for a scoop.

The creme brulee used to be good, but recent reports say "no"

We had a brownie sundae in Blue Lagoon - very good and decent sized. The crepes in the buffet are good but you may have to really look for them. There are sherbets but I'm not sure about sorbet. There is also soft-serve ice cream in the buffet. I'm a big creme brulee fan and theirs was good (I had it several times). But I've always thought NCL should come up with a signature dessert like most other lines have. Other than what I've mentioned, I found very few desserts that were memorable or "worthy". I do seem to remember berries and cream being on the menu but I don't know if it was a one night thing or available every night.

I didn't think that most deserts were really bad....they just were basically tasteless....looked good, no lip smacking good feeling!!

I don't really understand, since most of the NCL food is loaded with salt in other foods, why they can't put some taste in the desserts.

The best dessert to my mind is the made to order crepes in the buffet at night with a quick visit after grabbing yours to the ice cream bar for a scoop.

The creme brulee used to be good, but recent reports say "no"

The desserts on the buffet are not worth the calories, there bland and taste like there made for diabetics and same goes on all NCL ships.

But the desserts in the specialty restaurants are very good to excellent and you rarely find them on the buffet.

My DH and I have very different interest in desserts so all opinions are gratefully accepted, I have been gathering from some of the threads that the desserts on NCL are hohum, especially in the buffet. I am a NCL 1st timer [was going to use the ''v"word but . . .] this coming December and am wanting to know what people's opinions of dessert and what are the don't miss desserts . . . . . I'm a chocolate gal, last trip with the kids, Carnival had Molten Lava Cake every night on their menu, I was in heaven. My DH is more of give him something with "fruit" in it kind of guy . . . DD is a vegan, do they have sorbets?

I wondered what all the fuss about Chocolate Melting Cake was until I cruised CCL in May....NOW I get it! i had it every single night.

With that in mind I will tell you NCL has only 2 choices worthy of a chocoholic: the flourless chocolate cake and a crepe from the crepe station made with the chocolate fondue sauce.

Grab the flourless chocolate cake whenever you see it, because it was rarely made. At the crepe station request a crepe made with the fondue sauce, not plain chocolate syrup.

As far as the chocolate buffet, everything looked nice but was tasteless, a real letdown.

As far as other desserts they are all variations of "congealed"

The raspberry creme brulee was excellent also, as was the plain and chocolate bread pudding.

I have to agree with the consensus, for the most part. The desserts in the buffet do look very appetizing, but unfortunately, their taste doesn't deliver. That said, the buffet usually offers some better quality hard packed ice cream in additon to the soft serve ice cream from the self-serve machines.

Oftentimes, they will offer a nice chocolate cake in the MDR, that is pretty good, but unfortunately, it is not one of the 'regular' selections in the buffet.

One of my favorites is my after-the-late-show, 'nightcap' in the Blue Lagoon consisting of a cup of decaf, with their delicious raspberry topped cheesecake.....Yum, yum!:)

Edit: I almost forgot....they do have a pretty good chocolate chip cookie. They usually disappear as fast as they put them out. I am one of those 'cookie monster's' that will take a plateful back to the cabin for tv and movie snacking....

When we sailed on the Pearl in January they served a warm fruit crumble or crisp in the buffet. Each day it was different but was always good with a scoop of ice cream on it. Hope they have this on our Breakaway trip in September!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The desserts in the MDR are much, much better than those in the buffet. The names are a little off...don't expect bread pudding, for instance, to be actually like bread pudding. But very nice. Specialty restaurants have some spectacular offerings. Blue Lagoon's cheesecake is pretty darned good...with some weight to it, unlike those nasty mousse-type desserts erroneously called cheesecake elsewhere.

Of course, I didn't like Carnival's lava cake...I love chocolate, but I hate dates! Gack!

The desserts in the MDR are much, much better than those in the buffet. The names are a little off...don't expect bread pudding, for instance, to be actually like bread pudding. But very nice. Specialty restaurants have some spectacular offerings. Blue Lagoon's cheesecake is pretty darned good...with some weight to it, unlike those nasty mousse-type desserts erroneously called cheesecake elsewhere.

Of course, I didn't like Carnival's lava cake...I love chocolate, but I hate dates! Gack!

Yuck! Dates in Lava cake! That's just plain nasty! :eek:

Another reason to not sail with them!!:rolleyes:

Wow, so glad that you told me about the crepes, I probably wouldn't have thought to check that out . . . fondue chocolate, got it . . . what other flavors do they have. I like bread pudding too, so that sounds good.

It has been a couple of years since I was on Carnival with the kids, but trust me the Lava Cake was All Chocolate . . not dates back then.

I've been disappointed in the buffet desserts as well - how hard is it to make a good brownie?? They are tasteless. I'm thrilled with brownies out of a box - but these are just dry.

The specialty restaurants are better - but then you pay a premium. I've been a bit disappointed in the chocolate buffet - not that tasty - or I haven't found the one or two yummy treats that are there. People at the chocolate buffet act like they haven't eaten in months - the only time it was enjoyable was the one trip we were in a suite and got in early. I did find a good cake then. One trip - I sat on my balcony ate a prailine from New Orleans and was just as happy. :D

Oh, I forgot to mention the carrot cake with orange marmalade in Cagney's - but that may only be at lunch (suite guests only). I can't remember if it was on the dinner menu or not. We were invited to join the HD for lunch there on our last cruise.

Oh, I forgot to mention the carrot cake with orange marmalade in Cagney's - but that may only be at lunch (suite guests only). I can't remember if it was on the dinner menu or not. We were invited to join the HD for lunch there on our last cruise.

Yum....that's one of my all-time favorites!!!:D

OMG, that's my favorite dessert to get on the ship. My DW loves the creme brulé she gets on the ship. She's been able to somehow get her hands on the chocolate creme brulé on a couple cruises which is her ultimate favorite.

Sent from my DROID4 using Forums mobile app

I have not been able to find dessert I love in the buffet or MDR. Food is so subjective.

I will say that I found the desserts in the Haven restaurant very good and the specialty restaurants. Cagneys raspberry creme brûlée still has me drooling. There was a sample of chocolate in the Haven restaurant that was yummy too. Just enough sweetness and the size was perfect.

It's not a sweet but I still adore the pretzel rolls in the garden buffet. So good.

Good luck and have fun searching for your favorite. ;)

I'm so glad for this thread. I'll also be on the hunt for a good dessert and also agree that I don't want to waste my time or calories on something mediocre.

So I'll be on the prowl for desserts in our lunches at Cagney's (suite guests) and also on the look for the crepe guy. Everyone acts like it is hard to find him. Where exactly is he? In the buffet? In the back? Lunch and dinner?

Thank you all!

I hear you about the CCL desserts. Warm chocolate melting cake was my favorite also. In my opinion with the exception of Cagney's most of the NCL desserts are not worth the calories. That being said it doesn't mean I won't partake of them but I will feel guilty afterwards. The big exception is the warm crepes with fruit filling and toppings. OMG to die for and make sure to go get a scoop of ice cream on top. Better than any other desserts on the ship in my opinion.

The best sweet onboard are the chocolate croissants at the Lido breakfast buffet. I don't have any experience with the alternative restaurants, but the Blue Lagoon used to have a pretty good brownie sundae. In the main dining rooms, there's always ice cream if nothing else is appealing. I'm not much of a dessert eater, but I'd love to see more fruit desserts, like a really good fruit cobbler or crisp.

The best sweet onboard are the chocolate croissants at the Lido breakfast buffet. I don't have any experience with the alternative restaurants, but the Blue Lagoon used to have a pretty good brownie sundae. In the main dining rooms, there's always ice cream if nothing else is appealing. I'm not much of a dessert eater, but I'd love to see more fruit desserts, like a really good fruit cobbler or crisp.

Agreed. I had forgotten about the croissants. They were really yummy. Yes I would also like to see some good cobblers/crisps.

Archived