NCL Desserts - seeking advice

West Coast Gal

Crepe guy, who was a crepe girl for my sailing 7/26 on Dawn, was on the starboard side, second or third food bay down from the opening to Garden Cafe. She was only there for dinner and some time after, not very late.

I didn't think that most deserts were really bad....they just were basically tasteless....looked good, no lip smacking good feeling!!

I don't really understand, since most of the NCL food is loaded with salt in other foods, why they can't put some taste in the desserts.

The best dessert to my mind is the made to order crepes in the buffet at night with a quick visit after grabbing yours to the ice cream bar for a scoop.

The creme brulee used to be good, but recent reports say "no"

I have never seen these and I keep hearing about them. Where are they served, and what time, if you happen to know.

Thank you

Edit: ok just saw the answer....thank you:)

On the Sun the crepe station was almost right next to the ice cream at the very end of the buffet. On the Star it was towards the end but they moved it at least once. It will be somewhere on the buffet usually close to one of the ends.

Yuck! Dates in Lava cake! That's just plain nasty! :eek:

Another reason to not sail with them!!:rolleyes:

Dates? I never tasted any dates in there....

And I made it in the Carnival kitchen as part of the Chef's Table experience....

And I made it in the Carnival kitchen as part of the Chef's Table experience....

I never tasted anything remotely like dates in my warm chocolate melting cake. Pure chocolate through and through. Great with vanilla ice cream. I like the bitter and blanc also, just not as much as the melting cake. The cheesecake in the CCL steakhouse was excellent also. When they brought it out I thought it was a joke because it was about 10 inches high and 8 inches wide. Enough for 4 people.

Just going on the post prior to mine...said there were dates in the lava cake! I've never been on any cruise line other than NCL...so I can't speak from experience!;)

On the Sun this spring the baker was out of this world. Desserts that I normally would pass up were outstanding. Lots of tasty items on the chocolate buffet including melt in your mouth profiteroles. It was wonderful.

On the Sun this spring the baker was out of this world. Desserts that I normally would pass up were outstanding. Lots of tasty items on the chocolate buffet including melt in your mouth profiteroles. It was wonderful.

Profiteroles!! Be still my heart!!

They have the chocolate buffet once during the cruise (make sure to watch your dailies to see when it is). I'm not a chocolate lover, but I love to go and take pictures of the displays.

IMG_5969-M.jpg

IMG_5972-M.jpg

IMG_5974-M.jpg

IMG_8080-M.jpg

IMG_8089-M.jpg

The crepe station is just HEAVEN! I discovered that they more ingrediants than what they usually have out that you can see. If there's some type of fruit that you would like in it, just ask. I usually get 1 with a banana sometimes and they will have the bananas under the table where you can't see them. I have also seen someone ask for different things and they have ran over to a part of the buffet or to the kitchen and got what they wanted to put in theirs. They are just HEAVEN! Did I say that already? I love the creme they put on top of it. I usually use that same cream for a topping for my waffles in the morning as well. I wish I had that recipe!

Last but not least, if you like cheesecake, you can get that (and it's yummy) at their 24/7 restaurant (free). It's where they usually serve wings and stuff.

Lots of tasty items on the chocolate buffet including melt in your mouth profiteroles. It was wonderful.

Profiteroles!! Be still my heart!!

I have never seen profiteroles on a ship :( one of my most favorite desserts!

For the crepes, they are usually stationed in the buffet sort of where the made to order egg station would be in the morning. I usually got mine plain and wandered over to the dipped ice cream station had a scoop put on top and then chocolate syruped the whole kaboodle....sometimes sprinkling choc. chips over the warm crepe first so they got all melty ... *drool*

I have to agree with the consensus, for the most part. The desserts in the buffet do look very appetizing, but unfortunately, their taste doesn't deliver. That said, the buffet usually offers some better quality hard packed ice cream in additon to the soft serve ice cream from the self-serve machines.

Oftentimes, they will offer a nice chocolate cake in the MDR, that is pretty good, but unfortunately, it is not one of the 'regular' selections in the buffet.

One of my favorites is my after-the-late-show, 'nightcap' in the Blue Lagoon consisting of a cup of decaf, with their delicious raspberry topped cheesecake.....Yum, yum!:)

Edit: I almost forgot....they do have a pretty good chocolate chip cookie. They usually disappear as fast as they put them out. I am one of those 'cookie monster's' that will take a plateful back to the cabin for tv and movie snacking....

You weren't suppose to mention the cookie, they go fast enough as it is.

We had a brownie sundae in Blue Lagoon - very good and decent sized. The crepes in the buffet are good but you may have to really look for them. There are sherbets but I'm not sure about sorbet. There is also soft-serve ice cream in the buffet. I'm a big creme brulee fan and theirs was good (I had it several times). But I've always thought NCL should come up with a signature dessert like most other lines have. Other than what I've mentioned, I found very few desserts that were memorable or "worthy". I do seem to remember berries and cream being on the menu but I don't know if it was a one night thing or available every night.

HUGE creme brulee fan here too. Which restaurant did you get that from? I want to make sure I go there!

Archived