what Deck to choose!!

bunburyseagull

Hello everyone,

We did a cruise on the Eurodam a couple of years ago,and are planning to go again next April,we were on deck 8 last time in a Balcony room

This time not sure weather to stick to the same as we really liked it or go down to Deck 6 in a balcony room for a little cheaper?

My question is... is there much difference in the movement of the ship with a lower level,any feed back of the difference in the 2 decks would be much appreciated.

Jill

Not sure it is that easy to tell if one deck takes the waves better than another unless one has exactly the same sea conditions to compare. We have been up, down and around on various HAL ships and haven't noticed any difference ourselves.

We like the decks closest to the activity levels we use most - the Lido, Explorations Cafe and show room for lectures. Main dining room we usually only use once a day so that does not matter as much as the other activity level decks. We don't like to wait for elevators which we use to go up when we are down in the lower decks.

But the joke has always been, the more you pay the more you sway, meaning the higher up you are the more motion you might feel. The worst prolonged seas we ever encountered that pretty much knocked me flat is when we were on the very bottom deck, of an older ship in a treacherous passage across the Mozambique Straights.

One other problem on the lower decks is being eye level out your windows if you are docked on that side with those working and walking past on the dock.

In general, the lower decks will have less movement, not more, than the higher decks will. Dropping down two decks could make a difference in rough seas.

The closer to mid-ship---front to back, side to side, and top to bottom---the smoother the ride.

In any given conditions, the higher you are the more roll there is ... but you may have conditions next time that make the ride worse on deck six than you experienced before on eight. The only time DW and I ever got sick we were down on the Lower Promenade of the Ryndam. Two decks would not make a big difference IMO.

the Hydro pool would be over us,how noisy would that be?

They close this activity around 8pm I believe. Though others have said it is open until 10pm. We have been right under the Lido deck or restaurants and rarely ever heard any noise, so there might be pretty good sound insulation between decks and cabins for the most part. Personally I would go to the higher deck - being closer to the Lido is handy. Breakfast, snacks, open air, upper viewing decks, CrowsNest......

They close this activity around 8pm I believe. Though others have said it is open until 10pm. We have been right under the Lido deck or restaurants and rarely ever heard any noise, so there might be pretty good sound insulation between decks and cabins for the most part. Personally I would go to the higher deck - being closer to the Lido is handy. Breakfast, snacks, open air, upper viewing decks, CrowsNest......

thanks OlsSalt, I'm leading towards booking Deck 8

We were in a VD on Deck 6 on Eurodam (towards the stern) and would book that level again in a minute. There are cabins above and below so not too many noise issues to worry about. And we like the bit of extra width on the balconies on the VD cabins. We are not big users of the Lido at all, so being up on Deck 8 with closer access to the Lido doesn't matter to us. I can get a bit seasick on rough water days, so actually prefer being down a bit rather than up on the top most decks.

We were in a VD on Deck 6 on Eurodam (towards the stern) and would book that level again in a minute. There are cabins above and below so not too many noise issues to worry about. And we like the bit of extra width on the balconies on the VD cabins. We are not big users of the Lido at all, so being up on Deck 8 with closer access to the Lido doesn't matter to us. I can get a bit seasick on rough water days, so actually prefer being down a bit rather than up on the top most decks.

Thanks CCKelly, not sure which way to go really??It doesn't worry us being close to Lido Deck either,just wasn't sure if Deck 6 was a little rougher than deck *??

Another thing to consider is noise, i.e., what would be above you on deck 9 and 7 - anyone who's had a cabin under a galley or any area with a lot of activity can attest to the noise.

We totally agree with this. The smell of food and/or dragging of furniture can affect the cabins above or below.

We had a terrible experience on a RCCL ship - our junior suite being under the adult pool area - the pool stuff wasn't the problem (it closed at 10pm) but ALL night long maintance carts rolled over the tile floor above like freight trains. We complained and complained begging for relief at least between midnight and 6am - and they finally got it to stop by day 4 of a 10 day trip. We were compensated nicely for our distress but if we hadn't been at sea DH would have abandoned ship for the nearest airport.

From then on, we only book cabins with cabins both above and below us. :)

Deck 8 is nice for the convience of going up one flight of stairs to the Lido deck. However, I do like having cabins above and below me for the quietness.

Just look at how HAL changed - in the older ships the Neptune suites are on the deck just below the Lido deck. On the newer ones, they are two decks below the Lido! I think this tells you something about what most people have experienced and/or want.

DaveOKC

Archived