Carnival Sucking Up to Travel Agents

Sargent_Schultz

The question is what's in the future ?

The future for large agencies will be fine, while smaller agencies will struggle. Large agencies have clout in the form of volume, and cruise lines actually vie for their business. In return for channeling an agency's business toward certain cruise lines, they are offered benefits that can be passed on to the customer – i.e. OBC, upgrades, free specialty dining, VIP boarding, spa treatments, pre-paid gratuities, etc. While sometimes a cruise line will offer upgrades, most of these benefits can't be had by going direct to the cruise line. While it's true these things obviously cost the cruise line money, the amount of business they receive from high volume agencies makes it worth it. It's really no different than spending money on advertising...it's the cost of doing business.

Carnival has lost the support of the TA because they thought they could do it better themselves by marketing direct to the customer, and now it's come back to bite them. The OP referred to what Carnival is doing as "sucking up." Fine – a little sucking up never hurt anyone. I absolutely guarantee that if Carnival didn't think they needed to suck up, they wouldn't be....which tells me that the amount of business they've lost by not having the support of the TA community has really put a dent in their bottom line.

Thanks for the spirited debate.

I'm sailing on Celebrity Equinox in October. My TA is paying my and DW's gratuities. That's around $300 I don't have to put out. And is giving me $100 OBC to spend on the ship, again money I don't have to put out. The price I paid is the same as the cruise line website. I have gotten $400 in price drops per person. Although, I admit, that I found the price drops and called the TA. Which isn't really an issue because I did all the leg work before I called the TA and just used them to get the OBC and gratuities. I know I check more than my TA but all it takes is a phone call to the TA, which is the same as you calling the cruise line direct. So now that I've shown that I can get the same price as you, I would like you to show me how you can match my savings on gratuities and OBC.

The only way to find out weather you recieved these things and you only paid the lowest rate is proof you have offered none. If you offer what you paid origianaly and proof we will see if I can not get a better deal. You are getting really upset over this which is odd I think it is great if you get such great deals I just need proof so I can get them too. There are tons of TA,s out there I have researched and matched and never recieved what you are claiming. Unless Your a TA which would explain a lot.

No, you just refuse to accept the facts.....in my opinion.

If you have facts lets see them I need proof not a argument. If your right I will book the way you do if your a TA and getting mad because I think this is all hot air I understand you need to make a living too.

Free trips?! hahahaha!

Go to carnival.com and price a cruise and then price the same cruise with a TA. The price will be exactly the same but with added benefits from the TA. Why wouldn't someone want to get more for their money?

There's nothing wrong with saving face and admitting that you're wrong. It's refreshing, actually. You are fighting a losing battle. Facts are facts.

Many times so I gave up. A TA will book group trips and earn free cruises I know not like the old days but they still get free vacations. Also show me the proof I looked and can not see what your saying. Educate the masses. So we all get freebies and pay the same.

I'm sailing on Celebrity Equinox in October. My TA is paying my and DW's gratuities. That's around $300 I don't have to put out. And is giving me $100 OBC to spend on the ship, again money I don't have to put out. The price I paid is the same as the cruise line website. I have gotten $400 in price drops per person. Although, I admit, that I found the price drops and called the TA. Which isn't really an issue because I did all the leg work before I called the TA and just used them to get the OBC and gratuities. I know I check more than my TA but all it takes is a phone call to the TA, which is the same as you calling the cruise line direct. So now that I've shown that I can get the same price as you, I would like you to show me how you can match my savings on gratuities and OBC.

I thought we were talking carnival you bring up Celebrity oh well no matter. I just need all the facts. I know October cruises for the Equinox in oct are out of Barcelona Spain and its a 12 day cruise which I assume you purchaced airfair. So you need that info too and then we will see what a great deal you recieved remember it does not count if you are A TA your self.

The only way to find out weather you recieved these things and you only paid the lowest rate is proof you have offered none. If you offer what you paid origianaly and proof we will see if I can not get a better deal. You are getting really upset over this which is odd I think it is great if you get such great deals I just need proof so I can get them too. There are tons of TA,s out there I have researched and matched and never recieved what you are claiming. Unless Your a TA which would explain a lot.

We are not allowed to mention specific TA's on here.

But my TA is giving us $270 OBC for our upcoming cruise. The cruiseline was only offering $70

Our last cruise we actually booked a group rate thru them and it was $200 cheaper than the cruiseline with $225 OBC. Cruiseline was offering $50 obc

When we book RCCL/X they pay for gratuities if booking a balcony or above.

It is an online TA that advertises on CC

. . .

Carnival has lost the support of the TA because they thought they could do it better themselves . . . if Carnival didn't think they needed to suck up, they wouldn't be....which tells me that the amount of business they've lost by not having the support of the TA community has really put a dent in their bottom line.

. . .

Agree with this; makes sense.

Many times so I gave up. A TA will book group trips and earn free cruises I know not like the old days but they still get free vacations. Also show me the proof I looked and can not see what your saying. Educate the masses. So we all get freebies and pay the same.

Educate the masses? Based on this thread, you are the only one who refuses to be educated...and that's hardly a "mass".

I am not understanding that you are expecting to see from me (or anyone else you are demanding proof from)? Sharing my agent's website? Sorry, no can do...against CC rules. A printout of my cruise from last year where I received a $50 OBC from my agent?! $50 is not an earth shattering amount, but it was $50 I did not have to come up with and the price I paid out of my pocket was the same whether I booked with her or with Carnival. And if she gets some sort of perk from it, why in the world would I care? It's not like it coming out of my pocket!

This really is not a hard concept. :confused:

$2185 inside cabin $2685 ocean view and $2785 balcony with $200 OBC. That is the Equinox in October out of Barcelona. Is this your cruise and is this what you paid?

$2185 inside cabin $2685 ocean view and $2785 balcony with $200 OBC. That is the Equinox in October out of Barcelona. Is this your cruise and is this what you paid?

Your posts are certainly off. Do you also want to know what I paid for my next cruise ?

First you began by insulting those that wish to use a TA and then you began fretting about TA's financial health.

Don't use their services if you don't wish to.

The cross-examination has begun. I recommend cruzfitter not answer any questions without their attorney present. :D

Really buying a home is like going to carnival dot com and booking your own trip come on that is rediculous apples and oranges. taxes maybe depends on your investments. now I think your being extreme. Some one please put my credit card in pay slot its to hard for me. OH Geeze

Wouldn't going to carnival.com be absolutely no different than going to www.*your cruise travel agency*.com?????????

Online TA's give you more, you book it all by yourself and if you choose a reputable one, there is an agent or two (or 20) to help you with any issues if you so need one.

If you have facts lets see them I need proof not a argument. If your right I will book the way you do if your a TA and getting mad because I think this is all hot air I understand you need to make a living too.

This is not my first rodeo.

I've cruise over 40 times on everything from Dolphin Cruise Line to Cunard, I've written three books on the history of passenger ships, and I have over 12,000 items in my ocean liner memorabilia collection....the last thing I feel compelled to do it prove anything to you. Besides, your responses – not only to my posts, but others as well – indicate that you're rude, unwilling to admit when you're wrong, and, worst of all, a know-it-all who is clearly out of the loop.

By the way, a few commas here and there might help people make more sense out of your posts – but I doubt it.

When Carnival shutsdown their booking agent on the website, is when i will start using a TA. Until then i like booking myself and checking for price drops, its exciting. It also gives me a sense of fulfillment to know i can do this on my own, never been the type to need someone to hold my hand, always been a go getter. Sorry for any TA's losing business, but shall we stop driving cars after the switch to automated assembly lines?

We started using a TA about 10 years ago - we belonged to Carnival Vacation Club. Ultimately this was not a part of Carnival and became a stand alone Vacation Club. We have used the same TA for all these years and are very loyal to her. We always come out ahead - at least by the cost of insurance (which is much better than carnivals). If prices go down it is merely a phone call to her and she does all the dealing with carnival. Over the last few months I have found Carnival's customer service absolutely horrible. Can't get the same answer twice. I applied to a price reduction (I didn't know then I had to go through the TA. They sent a denial email on the second leg of our b2b because our category was sold out. So I waited (the email said they were backlogged) a week or so - no word - so I called them. They said they didn't have a record of it. I sent them the email from them. After talking to the third person then they tell me my TA has to do it. The sale was no longer on so she told me to have my TA send it through and say there was no response. Still denied. So - if they sent an email re the second leg of the b2b saying no more cabins in our category (which I have since learned is not true) why didn't they tell me then I had to go through my TA. I have learned a very valuable lesson. Stick with the TA - they may not get paid a lot but they more than earn every cent dealing with Carnival customer service.:eek:

I've cruise over 40 times on everything from Dolphin Cruise Line to Cunard, I've written three books on the history of passenger ships, and I have over 12,000 items in my ocean liner memorabilia collection....the last thing I feel compelled to do it prove anything to you. Besides, your responses – not only to my posts, but others as well – indicate that you're rude, unwilling to admit when you're wrong, and, worst of all, a know-it-all who is clearly out of the loop.

By the way, a few commas here and there might help people make more sense out of your posts – but I doubt it.

Hurray for you on the insults I still did not get the facts the first time I was called out .

Wouldn't going to carnival.com be absolutely no different than going to www.*your cruise travel agency*.com?????????

Online TA's give you more, you book it all by yourself and if you choose a reputable one, there is an agent or two (or 20) to help you with any issues if you so need one.

Thanks for guessing and no your wrong that is not what I do or all I do. Geeze

Your posts are certainly off. Do you also want to know what I paid for my next cruise ?

First you began by insulting those that wish to use a TA and then you began fretting about TA's financial health.

Don't use their services if you don't wish to.

For one the Expos dont have a team so your out dated with all your info and are not credible. 2 There has been no proof I am wrong so why would I admit being wrong. 3 I said I would use a TA if I got proof they could give me these mass hook ups. Your a TA give me a hook up. lol

You are providing no information just opinions that are not of any use to any one. IF you can not answer a question with facts than dont. Enjoy your cruise dont run over any kids getting ice cream.

I thought we were talking carnival you bring up Celebrity oh well no matter. I just need all the facts. I know October cruises for the Equinox in oct are out of Barcelona Spain and its a 12 day cruise which I assume you purchaced airfair. So you need that info too and then we will see what a great deal you recieved remember it does not count if you are A TA your self.

No, we're talking about TAs. Of which I am not one. Air fare doesn't matter as I don't use a TA for that. They don't offer anything to benefit me on airfare.

You are providing no information just opinions that are not of any use to any one. IF you can not answer a question with facts than dont. Enjoy your cruise dont run over any kids getting ice cream.

Like I said, I don't have to prove anything to you (to be perfectly honest, I'm a bit mad at myself for wasting so much of my time on you).

I bow to your most obvious superior intellect – your writing skills alone should have been an indication that I was out of my league.

Ice cream? Cue The Twilight Zone music.

Archived