All inclusive or a cruise? One better than the other?

PaCUfan

When we stayed at the Sun Palace all of the excursions were included in the price. Is that still true?

Not exactly. We were at Beach Palace last year and they gave us resort credits, which you could use for a few specific tours (5 or 6 different tours). You could also use the credits in the spa, for photos, for a beach dinner, etc.

Ok I will chime in

For those who want a real nice AI in Cancun...Sun Palace or The Royal

Both resorts are not cheap...but the service is way better than ANY ccl cruise I have ever been on.

Palace resorts sells memberships...so if you book through a member...well lets just say you are NOT paying retail...same goes for Royal as it is a Real resort.

Personally I like an AI....as those who say you are stuck at the resort...well aren't you stuck on a ship?...get out there and get some culture of the place you visit!

If you say the food is better on the ship....well you must have gone to an AI that was cheap.

you get what you pay for just like a cruise...choose wisely.

As for reviews....if you have been around here for a while...well you know to take each with a grain of salt and really do you take strangers opinions seriously?

IMHO you should do both....this way you can make your own opinions and do what YOU like best

there is nothing like waking up with the Ocean as your canvass....just like there is nothing like not having a SS bill at the end of your vacation.

When we stayed at the Sun Palace all of the excursions were included in the price. Is that still true?

they still have the $1500 resort credit which you can use for multiple tours/spa/tequila:cool:....photo shoots

Playacar Palace in Playa De Carmen is my next AI Nov 2014

I have never been to an All-inclusive Resort on land, nor have I ever travelled outside the US other than on a cruise, and one 2.5 week trip to SE Asia.

We are considering booking an all inclusive this year over a 7 day on the Dream that we had planned.

Is one better than the other? Pros and Cons? I love cruising, which makes me weary to venture into uncharted territory of a land-based vacation in the islands.....

---

I think both have huge benefits.

The thing about cruising is that it gives you a sample (an appetizer if you will)of different places over an extended amount of time. IF you visit a location that you absolutely adore, you can visit at a later date as an AI (if available).

We visited Belize in 2004 on a Carnival cruise and loved it so much there, we decided to go back the following year for 2 weeks.

Well there are pros/cons on this subject.

My son and family have done at least 2 or 2 AI in Mexico, and have always enjoyed their stay. As for me, I have never done it, but it sounds nice, but I think for me, it would be the cruising still. I love going from port to port, not staying in the SAME area. :(

I'm sure with the AI the staff does wait on you, but I don't think anyone can get MORE staff to wait on you then on a cruise. :)

Actually you would be wrong about that.

I have to put my vote in for the palace resorts also. We have done four so far and all top notch service, food, activities.

Moon Palace in Cancun has the most beautiful pool area I have ever seen.

Beach service provided (food and drinks) and no tipping is required, but we were treated so special, we were passing them out anyway.

You are greeted at the front door with a cool cloth and a drink everytime you come in. If you stay at one of the ones in cancun on hotel beach as I call it, the bus into cancun is across the street and for 60 cents you can enjoy checking out cancun. Riding that bus esp at night is unbelievable. Very often there are entertainers entertaining you. The night life in cancun is so much fun and something you will not be able to experience with a cruise.

The last one we stayed at had 7 dining areas at night. It was hard to decide should we try the next place or go back to one of the ones we enjoyed so much before.

Daily activities around the pool from morning to night. Everything from excercise class to spanish lessons to how to paint designs on your nails.

Nighttime entertainment in the main bar including the quest game. My ribs still hurt from laughing so much there. We will always remember the baby elephant. (actually a large dog in an elephant suit)

I do not drink alcohol and the bartender in the lobby bar was so disappointed, he asked what flavors I like and invented a special drink of the day just for me each day. As my son told me at one visit. Don't look at anybody. When I asked why, he said they will come over to see what you need.

Turn down service. I even got towel animals 2 nights. A fully stocked refridgerator with sodas and water and 2 kinds of beer. A liquor dispencer with 4 kinds of alcohol. 24 hr room service with hot foods.

My bf had a shrimp cocktail every night before bed.

Slippers you bring home and that I am wearing right now.

As mentioned $1500 resort credit we had a hard time using all of and we did 2 excursions, h a mani pedi and massage each.

Free wifi. Free calls back to the states.

You know that little bowl of stuff you get on carnival, well you get a whole tray of stuff at the palaces including a bottle of bubble bath for the jacuzzi in your room. A hammock on the balcony. We chose a bottle of wine nightly from the rack for our supper.

We were even given free airport tranfers.

And as mentioned before, if you find a member, they can get you a knock out deal.

The whole cost upfront may look a little large, but from the time I got on the airplane until I got home, I spent a few 60 cents for the bus, about $20 out in town, the tips I handed out, and that was it until I got back in my car at the airport.

---

I think both have huge benefits.

The thing about cruising is that it gives you a sample (an appetizer if you will)of different places over an extended amount of time. IF you visit a location that you absolutely adore, you can visit at a later date as an AI (if available).

We visited Belize in 2004 on a Carnival cruise and loved it so much there, we decided to go back the following year for 2 weeks.

We keep hoping we will find a place we want to go back to and spend a week, you must have seen a different part of Belize than we did, we went cave tubing and saw nothing to make us want to go back there ever. We have limited cruising experience so far but the places I would return would be Isla Roatan or maybe Grand Cayman. We did love Key West but and plan on returning their someday but we are still waiting for an island to blow us away and go back for a week.

Oh my gosh, isn't it? We stayed there several years ago and absolutely LOVED IT! The beach is not much but you don't need it with a pool like theirs. It goes on forever! Winding all around. It's huge!

They really do it right at Moon Palace!!!!

We cruise and vacation at AI resorts - depending on what we want out of our vacation and what our budget is. Take into consideration that not all AI resorts are equal, but then neither are cruises. We aren't loyal to any cruise line but we have our favorites; same goes for AI resorts. We stay away from budget AI's, since nice accommodations are just as important to me as is the location. Sandals in the Caribbean, for example, are excellent. Some AI in Mexico are on a nice beach, but accommodations are not so good.

If you want to make the most of your trip to an island, going to AI resort is probably not the best thing. AI are good for people who either 1) have an activity they want to do more than sightseeing like boating, snorkeling, diving, etc. or 2) you want to spend a week on the beach or by the pool relaxing and being pampered.

Good luck

Here are the AI's we've been to, all wonderful:

Sandals (Royal Caribbean, La Toc, Royal Bahamian, Whitehouse, Antigua)

Beaches Turks and Caicos

Couples Swept Away

Excellence Riviera Maya

Beach Palace

My favorites were Sandals Antigua and Couples Swept Away. My husband's favorite was La Toc in St Lucia.

Don't let Trip Advisor scare you. I actually wrote a blog about how to read Trip Advisor reviews without getting freaked out. :) I hope it helps.

http://susancrow.blogspot.com/2012/11/how-to-read-trip-advisor-traveler.html

This is exactly what I need -- thanks! I forgot to mention that we would want adults only or couples only places. Some of the ones you mentioned are of these types, no?

And I am very interested in your blog, which I will be reading soon.

Maybe I am "scared" by Trip Advisor -- I never thought about it that way... It does scare me off some places, or at least causes me to be too timid to decide on a place.

I am editing this because I just just read your blog entry -- it pretty much mirrors the approach I already take regarding Trip Advisor: I understand that some people "should have known" about the thing they later complain about, that travelers' photos are invaluable, and that tastes differ, so I should do my own research.

I assume that Trip Advisor, like all review forums, attracts the extremes -- the very enthusiastically positive or negative reviewers -- because they are the ones most motivated to write. Just like on CC, the huge population in the middle -- those who are satisfied and generally (but not necessarily exceedingly) happy -- is not well represented. In actuality, most travelers, and most cruisers, are not represented by either board! I think Trip Advisor also represents a large proportion of first-time visitors to each place, as those who go year after year probably don't post year after year, although they might post if they found something amiss since a past visit.

My problem, I think, is that I feel drawn to read the worst reviews, to see how bad things could possibly be, and if the negatives seem tolerable to me, I know I'll probably be happy with the place. I guess I wonder whether I should simply take notice of the overall score, and not read the reviews at all. If most people loved the place, I should probably assume I will, too.

This is exactly what I need -- thanks! I forgot to mention that we would want adults only or couples only places. Some of the ones you mentioned are of these types, no?

Maybe I am "scared" by Trip Advisor -- I never thought about it that way... It does scare me off some places, or at least causes me to be too timid to decide on a place.

I am editing this because I just just read your blog entry -- it pretty much mirrors the approach I already take regarding Trip Advisor: I understand that some people "should have known" about the thing they later complain about, that travelers' photos are invaluable, and that tastes differ, so I should do my own research.

I assume that Trip Advisor, like all review forums, attracts the extremes -- the very enthusiastically positive or negative reviewers -- because they are the ones most motivated to write. Just like on CC, the huge population in the middle -- those who are satisfied and generally (but not necessarily exceedingly) happy -- is not well represented. In actuality, most travelers, and most cruisers, are not represented by either board! I think Trip Advisor also represents a large proportion of first-time visitors to each place, as those who go year after year probably don't post year after year, although they might post if they found something amiss since a past visit.

My problem, I think, is that I feel drawn to read the worst reviews, to see how bad things could possibly be, and if the negatives seem tolerable to me, I know I'll probably be happy with the place. I guess I wonder whether I should simply take notice of the overall score, and not read the reviews at all. If most people loved the place, I should probably assume I will, too.

We prefer adults-only too. Sandals, Couples and Excellence are adults-only and geared towards couples.

With Trip Advisor, definitely do look at the overall score. For my "big" vacations, I look at places with 4 or 4.5 stars. If it's just a short weekend getaway, 3.5 stars are fine. But don't give up on the reviews. You can get so many helpful hints and tips about how to make the most of your trip. Just like on Cruise Critic. I don't know what I'd do without them. :)

Has anyone been to an AI in Grand Cayman that they liked? Would need to be family friendly for teens who like to snorkel and would want to swim with turtles.

I'm thinking of booking a cruise that stops in Cayman on the Carnival Dream or finding an all inclusive. We'd have to fly from CA for a port or to the island so it's going to be pricey either way.

Any input appreciated as we've never been there.

Those are the best and most helpful. Bad reviews give a lot of detail about what did not work. Somethings might be a deal breaker for you, while others just a blimp. I went to Sunset at the Palms, at the time one of the top rated resort on TA and hated it. The resort had a lot of cheerleaders, so many did not bother to post bad reviews. I never got a fair picture to determine if it was best for me. Most people might love the place but it may lack something that is important to you. The negative reviews will show let you know. Unless it's something specific, I look at the last 50 reviews and if 80 percent rated it 3 or above, I am good. I do not care for resorts with all positive reviews. People are not that uniform, so I think negative experiences are not posted. If you pay an arm and a leg for a resort, someone is going to think they did not get their moneys' worth. Heck, that goes for Carnival cruise at $79 per person:D

Has anyone been to an AI in Grand Cayman that they liked? Would need to be family friendly for teens who like to snorkel and would want to swim with turtles.

I'm thinking of booking a cruise that stops in Cayman on the Carnival Dream or finding an all inclusive. We'd have to fly from CA for a port or to the island so it's going to be pricey either way.

There are very few AI's in GC. I think The Reef on the north side might be the only one. Some along SMB offer breakfast. We rented a condo at London House on SMB. We ate lunch out and made our own breakfasts and dinners.

Agree with CDNJehn, Grand Cayman isn't the place for AIs. Have you thought about the Riviera Maya (south of Cancun)? There are tons of AIs there and one of the best reefs in the world is offshore. If you go down to Akumal, you can snorkel with turtles. And in the summer, you can swim with whale sharks.

I have been thinking about this and I say forget the AI. Here is what you do.

Book the Suites Bahia in Cozumel. Get room 22. (About $50 a day) It has 2 queen beds and a half wall separating them. A kitchen with a full size fridge and a nice sized bathroom. Also a balcony over looking pizza hut. There is internet downstairs and a breakfast of toast and fruit in the mornings. The only service you get will be the maid cleaning your room once a day but they do a good job and you will be so tired when you get back to the room, you will not care.

There is a bakery about a block and a half back into town from the door of the hotel. Just take a left. That was where we went for snacks.

Also, about 3 blocks back, take a right and keep walking and you will come to the cemetary. It is a definately need to see. As you walk, you can glance into the homes along the way of the trully poor and see the brilliant ideas they have come up with.

Alonf the waterfront, go all the way to the end to Guido's for some of the best pizza I have ever had. Let them put the fresh ground papper on it. Keep walking and there is a small grocery store you can buy a few things at or you can catch a $3 taxi to the big grocery. Sort of like walmarts. Even has a greeter.

Be sure and not come in or leave on Sunday because you will want to go to the square that day and listen to church services at the catholic church on the corner. Don't expect to get inside the church because it will literally be wall to wall people with a huge crowd outside as well. Dress up a little. After services be sure to peek in to see the beautiful flowers. Then go get something to eat and go back to the square because there will be a party with everyone dressed in their finest with music and dancing. I take birthday party favors and pass out to the kids. Nothing elaborate. I also take side walk chalk and pass it out. The next day as you are walking around you will see some of the most amazing things drawn by the kids.

On Thurs in the square is the unrefridgerated meat market day. It has to be seen to be believed.

Also, one day you can rent a car at the place just off the square on the corner. Go early because the later in the day, the crappier the car will be. Take a drive to the wild side and stop every place over there. Don't get in the water on that side. It is dangerous, but so beautiful at the same time.

At night if you walk around the neighbor hoods some people open their living room as a dining place. Just walk in and tell them to bring you some food. Everything is good. I don;t know what they charge because I do not speak spanish, but I gave them $10 pp and they seemed very happy.

The mexicans do not really come out until after the cruise ships have left. That is why you need the room I told you about. The meeting place seems to be that pizza hut and you will have a perfect viewing place for life in Cozumel.

Town is like a 17 block square. Don't miss any of the streets. There were people selling stuff out of areas about as wide as my boyfriends shoulders. Some of the people on those back streets are shy because get this, they do not speak english. I told them I did not speak spanish so we would just have to figure it out. Such a good time.

Because the shop keepers keep seeing you around everyday, they drop the come let me sell you something to enjoying just having a laugh with you.

I have stayed at the cozumel palace which was super nice and only about a couple of miles from town, but as nice as it was, if I stay in cozumel, I am going to be in suites bahia room 22.

Oh yeah, they do have a elevator, but it is so small the best thing to do is put your luggage in and send it to second floor and run up and catch it.

Also from that balcony you can watch the ships come in and leave.

There are very few AI's in GC. I think The Reef on the north side might be the only one. Some along SMB offer breakfast. We rented a condo at London House on SMB. We ate lunch out and made our own breakfasts and dinners.

Agree with CDNJehn, Grand Cayman isn't the place for AIs. Have you thought about the Riviera Maya (south of Cancun)? There are tons of AIs there and one of the best reefs in the world is offshore. If you go down to Akumal, you can snorkel with turtles. And in the summer, you can swim with whale sharks.

Thanks for the input. I did look up an AI in Akumal, the Akumal Beach Resort, and for 2 ocean view rooms (because it wouldn't let me book 4 adults in one room) it was about $800 more than the two balcony cabins I would book on the Carnival Dream; the airfare was about the same from LAX to Cancun as I would have to pay to fly to sail from New Orleans, but it's about an hours drive from the Cancun airport to the resort and that's a negative vs. a cruise. Looks like I'm leaning toward the cruise more than the AI.

We collect golf balls from every place we visit. If we cruise, we can get three or four. If we do an AI, we get one. ;)

Seriously, we enjoy being able to see three or four different places in one week. Someday we'll try an AI though.

I have to put my vote in for the palace resorts also. We have done four so far and all top notch service, food, activities.

Beach service provided (food and drinks) and no tipping is required, but we were treated so special, we were passing them out anyway.

You are greeted at the front door with a cool cloth and a drink everytime you come in. If you stay at one of the ones in cancun on hotel beach as I call it, the bus into cancun is across the street and for 60 cents you can enjoy checking out cancun. Riding that bus esp at night is unbelievable. Very often there are entertainers entertaining you. The night life in cancun is so much fun and something you will not be able to experience with a cruise.

The last one we stayed at had 7 dining areas at night. It was hard to decide should we try the next place or go back to one of the ones we enjoyed so much before.

Daily activities around the pool from morning to night. Everything from excercise class to spanish lessons to how to paint designs on your nails.

Nighttime entertainment in the main bar including the quest game. My ribs still hurt from laughing so much there. We will always remember the baby elephant. (actually a large dog in an elephant suit)

I do not drink alcohol and the bartender in the lobby bar was so disappointed, he asked what flavors I like and invented a special drink of the day just for me each day. As my son told me at one visit. Don't look at anybody. When I asked why, he said they will come over to see what you need.

Turn down service. I even got towel animals 2 nights. A fully stocked refridgerator with sodas and water and 2 kinds of beer. A liquor dispencer with 4 kinds of alcohol. 24 hr room service with hot foods.

My bf had a shrimp cocktail every night before bed.

Slippers you bring home and that I am wearing right now.

As mentioned $1500 resort credit we had a hard time using all of and we did 2 excursions, h a mani pedi and massage each.

Free wifi. Free calls back to the states.

You know that little bowl of stuff you get on carnival, well you get a whole tray of stuff at the palaces including a bottle of bubble bath for the jacuzzi in your room. A hammock on the balcony. We chose a bottle of wine nightly from the rack for our supper.

We were even given free airport tranfers.

And as mentioned before, if you find a member, they can get you a knock out deal.

The whole cost upfront may look a little large, but from the time I got on the airplane until I got home, I spent a few 60 cents for the bus, about $20 out in town, the tips I handed out, and that was it until I got back in my car at the airport.

I also will say that for AI Palace Resorts are amazing. We do love cruising now, but would visit Aventura Palace in Riviera Maya again in a heartbeat. All of the above and more was our experience there.

We also only do adults only AI's. I'm sure we'll change our tune if we ever have children, but for now, we've definitely seen the value in family resorts vs adults only AI's. They are so peaceful, and romantic

I'd recommend:

Valentin Imperial (Riviera Maya)

Couples Resorts in Jamaica (San Souci, Swept Away, Negril, and Tower Isle)

Secrets Maroma

Excellence Resorts

Sandals Antigua

We're trying out Catalonia Royal Bavaro in two weeks in the Dominican. I can't wait!!

Ahhh, but a cruise is almost all inclusive (BYOB) but you are in the middle of the deep blue sea, floating your cares away!

Still, it would be a difficult decision. I would like to do both - but probably cruising would be my first choice.

I would be bored staying at one place for an entire week.

i used to think like this until i went to aruba by cruise'one year. --we decided to try it for a week to see if we liked it. --we became beach people that week. --went the next year and loved it more---got a time share. For us--i prefer an all inclusive now. Guess after 19 cruises it was time for a'change.-- next year we are trying Punta Cana

• 4 weeks later...

I just want to mention an island to check out if you haven't already is St. Lucia in the Caribbean. I have been to several islands, and I fell in love with this island, and its people. In fact, I have been there twice, and if I could, I would go again.:)

Archived