Refund for price drop after final payment date

I've read on this forum that some people got refunded for the price difference when the price dropped even after final payment date on RCCL. Any recent experience on this? Is it still the case nowadays?

Thanks.

The rule is that you do not get a refund after final payment date. Some countries interpret this rule differently. I have heard of refunds and of upgrades. You can always ask the question, but be prepared to get a no answer.

We used to get refunds after final payment but that changed a few years ago. Now, the best we can do is upgrade if a higher cabin category is the same price,or less, than we paid. (I don't think the Tuesday sales are included because they're for new bookings only)

Oh well, I called RCCL and they said no refund or OBC, upgrade only. I wasn't impressed by their attitude though. Once your final payment is received and the cut off date passes, they know they don't have to smile to you any more.

I'm trying to decide on a new booking for a different itinerary. Both RCCL and Princess have similar dates and itineraries, and value-wise (not price-wise as they have rooms in different categories) it's also almost the same. It's getting close to both of their final payment dates and I need to make a decision ASAP. The Pros and Cons are -

RCCL: a more desirable ship (newly renovated Radiance of the Seas), but less friendly pre-cruise customer service;

Princess: a smaller and older ship (Sea Princess), good pre-cruise customer service (-they confirmed they do give refunds for any price drop, no time restriction and they even documented on the booking to avoid any possible future disagreement when calling back).

I'm leaning on giving my business to Princess. If you were me, what would you choose?

Oh well, I called RCCL and they said no refund or OBC, upgrade only. I wasn't impressed by their attitude though. Once your final payment is received and the cut off date passes, they know they don't have to smile to you any more.

I'm trying to decide on a new booking for a different itinerary. Both RCCL and Princess have similar dates and itineraries, and value-wise (not price-wise as they have rooms in different categories) it's also almost the same. It's getting close to both of their final payment dates and I need to make a decision ASAP. The Pros and Cons are -

RCCL: a more desirable ship (newly renovated Radiance of the Seas), but less friendly pre-cruise customer service;

Princess: a smaller and older ship (Sea Princess), good pre-cruise customer service (-they confirmed they do give refunds for any price drop, no time restriction and they even documented on the booking to avoid any possible future disagreement when calling back).

I'm leaning on giving my business to Princess. If you were me, what would you choose?

For me, I wouldn't cut off my nose to spite my face and go on the ship I preferred. Maybe customer service was just sick of dealing with people who refused to understand that written policies were just for others but not for them?

You won't be travelling with whoever you spoke to on the phone. They couldhave been having a bad day. Just like you said "they know they don't have to smile to you any more", it could be the same once you board the Princess ship. At that point, they too, have your money.

If you prefer Radiance over Sea Princess, go with your preference.

I would choose the ship and itinerary that I think will give me the best bang for my vacation buck. And Princess has the same "no refunds after final payment" policy as RCI.

Once upon a time we were the most travelled cruiser on an RCI ship and the LA made the mistake of putting the microphone in front of me. She asked why we were loyal to RCI and I said something to the effect that, in spite of Miami, we always have a brilliant time once we are onboard. IMO, that's what counts.

I would choose the ship and itinerary that I think will give me the best bang for my vacation buck. And Princess has the same "no refunds after final payment" policy as RCI.

Once upon a time we were the most travelled cruiser on an RCI ship and the LA made the mistake of putting the microphone in front of me. She asked why we were loyal to RCI and I said something to the effect that, in spite of Miami, we always have a brilliant time once we are onboard. IMO, that's what counts.

Are you sure Princess doesn't give refund for price drop after final payment? I spoke to two Reps and they both confirmed yes they do give refund up to sailing date, no time restriction.

The price on our Oasis of the Seas cruise, in October dropped. What we paid for a Central Park balcony is what they are selling the Boardwalk balconies for. Since it was past the final payment date, they would move us up to the Boardwalk balcony, but no refund or obc extras. Good or bad, we don't know as it will be our first cruise on this class ship.

I was booked in a GS and recently saw that the OS price dropped lower than what I was paying for the GS. They moved me to the OS but I couldn't get a refund or OBC. I just ate the difference but I don't care because I have a telescope on my balcony!!!

what would happen if you do a last minute deal a few weeks out and the price drops every few days? I know the price droped a few days after we paid in full but not sure if it was 2 or 3 days later.

It's dependent on when the final payment date is and not when you make final payment for your cruise. Price drops after the final payment date are not eligible for refunds or OBC, you would only be able to upgrade to a higher category cabin if the category is equal to or less than your original cabin.

what would happen if you do a last minute deal a few weeks out and the price drops every few days? I know the price droped a few days after we paid in full but not sure if it was 2 or 3 days later.

When you make a reservation on a cruise after final payment for that cruise, full payment is due at time of booking. They have a policy called Best Price Guarantee, which if you find a lower price within 48 hours of the original booking, they will refund 110% of the price difference. This about the only time price drops after final payment are done.

Gregg

Go on the better ship.

I would choose the cruise I wanted to take. I would not make my decision based on a phone rep who might have just gotten yelled at by several people demanding refunds or by a different cruise company rep who may have lied to you because they were clueless. Yes the cruise companies once gave refunds but now that so many people use these boards and started to call and demand refunds, the rules have been tightened.

Based on what I think I know and some of the other responses I would

- Choose the cruise I wanted

-If possible wait until a week after final payment when prices might drop, realizing that they also might go up and the choice of cabins will be more limited.

-Book the lowest grade cabin I would be happy in and hope that the price goes down on the cabin I really want and then try for an upgrade. Know that you usually cannot upgrade unless the higher price cabin costs more than your current cabin, and people have mentioned this does not work for Tuesday sales. W all see the specials but not all cruises go down in price.

Sometimes I think I was a lot better off when I started to cruise and did not know you could ask for a lower price after you booked so I never checked the prices.

Last fall we were on a med cruise. We had only one day at sea so booked smallest balcony cabin (E2). After final payment prices dropped so we took a W guarantee and were assigned a JS. Less than one month before sailing, the GS dropped to what we paid. Moved up and the only extra charge was increase in tips. No they don't give a refund or credit, so keep your eyes open for possible upgrades.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

So, you will choose not to sail with a cruise line because they did not give you what you wanted....someday you will run out of cruise lines. but i'm sure you felt that you deserved an exception, and if any kind of travel company made exceptions, then they do not make any $$$$. Buck up and cruise!!!!

i would choose the ship and itinerary that i think will give me the best bang for my vacation buck. And princess has the same "no refunds after final payment" policy as rci.

Once upon a time we were the most travelled cruiser on an rci ship and the LA made the mistake of putting the microphone in front of me. She asked why we were loyal to rci and i said something to the effect that, in spite of miami, we always have a brilliant time once we are onboard. Imo, that's what counts.

roflmao! ;)

Archived