Cancelation of Excursion?

easy_123

Will PCL cancel an excursion if they do not reach a certain level of participation?

Specifically, I and my Lady are scheduled for a Princess excursion on 2 September with a total a limit of 14 participants. As of today, there are 10 open reservations. If they do not fill up this excursion, what will happen to our reservation and money?

Thanks.

Will PCL cancel an excursion if they do not reach a certain level of participation?

Specifically, I and my Lady are scheduled for a Princess excursion on 2 September with a total a limit of 14 participants. As of today, there are 10 open reservations. If they do not fill up this excursion, what will happen to our reservation and money?

Thanks.

It is possible. You will receive all your tour tickets in your stateroom on the first day. Check then. If they do cancel the tour your on board account will not be charged, or if already charged on the first day you will get a full credit. Don't pay too much attention to the capacity numbers. Many of those limits are not absolute. Check with the shore excursion desk after boarding, they should know, and if cancelled you might be able to select another activity. Their hours will be posted in the Princess Patter.

Remember, the time frame for you to cancel a tour is shown on the tour ticket. If you cancel before the deadline you will get a full credit.

We've had excursions cancelled because of lack of participation a few times over the years ... but not very often.

When an excursion has been cancelled, you will receive a notice in your cabin. Naturally, you aren't charged.

At the shore excursion desk there is a list of the excursions for each port. They are marked Sold Out, Cancelled, etc. That's interesting to check every once in a while.

As sknight mentioned, don't pay too much attention to the number of still available when pre-booking because they are seldom correct. Also, keep in mind that some don't book excursions until they are on the ship.

Have a wonderful cruise! :)

LuLu

~~~~

We booked a tour that was for 14 people. Whenever I checked there seemed to be about 8 available. Got our tour tickets once on board. There are people that wait until they are on board to book tours. I always do mine on line so as not to miss out. Tour had 13 people and didn't get cancelled. It was Photographic tour in Juneau.

Thanks.

I have had at least two tours canceled because of not enough participation. One was an evening tour of St. Mark's Basilica in Venice. The other was in Athens. It was what they used to call an elite tour which meant fewer people, the best guides and they cost more. The problem with them not being canceled until you are on the ship is that frequently there's nothing left available to replace them with. In Athens I ended up on a tour with one of the worst guides ever.

If the tour is cancelled you will get your money back (if they had taken it already) it is normally added to your account, in which case they would then take it off again.

The actual tour going ahead really depends on the contract Princess has with the tour company, they may go ahead with only two or perhaps not. I suggest you have a contingency plan just in case.:D

It is possible. You will receive all your tour tickets in your stateroom on the first day. Check then. If they do cancel the tour your on board account will not be charged, or if already charged on the first day you will get a full credit. Don't pay too much attention to the capacity numbers. Many of those limits are not absolute. Check with the shore excursion desk after boarding, they should know, and if cancelled you might be able to select another activity. Their hours will be posted in the Princess Patter.

Remember, the time frame for you to cancel a tour is shown on the tour ticket. If you cancel before the deadline you will get a full credit.

Truer words were never spoken. You learn that when you get on the tour bus with 50 of your fellow passengers.:rolleyes:

Truer words were never spoken. You learn that when you get on the tour bus with 50 of your fellow passengers.:rolleyes:

Yes, we had a tour limited to 20 people once and they sent three buses on it due to it's popular nature, at least they staggered the times so we were not all there at the same time.:D

Hubby had tour cancelled on our Alaska cruise because of lack of folks who liked to go Salmon Fishing.:D It was cancelled two days before the excursion and not much was left to choose from.:(

easy123, check you roll call. There may be a similar tour set up that you could join.:)

Yes, they will cancel if a minimum number is not met. This has happened to us a couple of times. They may not tell you not enough signed up, but may just say "for operational reasons."

Unless the tour description says "limited to fourteen partcipants", there may be many more spots than that. Princess will usually say x spots available and not reduce the number posted until the available spots actually gets reduced to that level.

What happens to your reservation: It will be canceled with a note in your cabin letting you know.

What happens to the money: Since you do not actually pay for the excursion until you pay for your onboard account at the end of the cruise, nothing happens as your account will not show a charge for the cancelled excursion.

Hubby had tour cancelled on our Alaska cruise because of lack of folks who liked to go Salmon Fishing.:D It was cancelled two days before the excursion and not much was left to choose from.:(

easy123, check you roll call. There may be a similar tour set up that you could join.:)

Great advice, have a back up plan.:D

We booked a tour that was for 14 people. Whenever I checked there seemed to be about 8 available. Got our tour tickets once on board. There are people that wait until they are on board to book tours. I always do mine on line so as not to miss out. Tour had 13 people and didn't get cancelled. It was Photographic tour in Juneau.

Thanks for everyone's response. I'm not too worried about the money - I want the excursion!

Btw, this appears to be the same one I am wondering about. Oh well, I guess I will know reality in 3 days.

Yes, we had a tour limited to 20 people once and they sent three buses on it due to it's popular nature, at least they staggered the times so we were not all there at the same time.:D

On our last cruise, one excursion had three buses full. The lunch times were staggered as we were going to eat at the same diner. Don't know how many spaces were reserved originally. It became my family's all time favorite excursion that we've ever done.

I had a tour canceled a couple years ago in the Caribbean while sailing the Emerald. They notified me in my cabin the afternoon before the event. Turns out there were only 2 of us signed up (my partner was not going) so they canceled. Princess removed the charge from my account for the tour. They did try to get me to book another tour but I did not see any I wanted to take. They also offered to give me priority in case I wanted to take a tour that was fully booked which I also turned down for the same reason.

So yes they do cancel tours usually the afternoon before the tour.

When it comes to Ship's tours, they can (not always) be more expensive than if organised privately or through the roll call, however, they do come with certain guarantees. Of course, the biggest one is the ship not leaving with out you or they pick up the tab if it does. :D

Archived