Just for fun!

Martita B.

Not a complaint but my husband and I were at a hosted table one night by the ships physician and we were asked by another guest how we afforded to be on the cruise as we were so young (31 and 34 at the time) Um...yeah! Wish I could have had a good response back but I was speechless!

Addict I think the difference was "how do you afford it"?

Which is pretty rude. I too see nothing wrong with the what do you do?

Travelling now as a mum with 2 young adults I know what the general assumption is for me and it does affect attitudes. Wrong..but just the same.

There were a couple on our last cruise who would dine in the restaurant for breakfast each morning. They would ask for a window seat and then get the curtains closed. :confused:

There were a couple on our last cruise who would dine in the restaurant for breakfast each morning. They would ask for a window seat and then get the curtains closed. :confused:

That really is rather bizarre. I'm racking my brains, but I can't come up with a plausible reason for this request!

Yes, it's interesting, I found it unusual that Miss M found the question 'what do you do back in Texas?' to be 'inappropriate.' I know that some people don't like to be asked about their occupation, and that is fine (as a physician I don't always advertise the fact to strangers!) but most people who feel like that would, I thought, have a non-specific answer prepared.

Oh, it is so true that the UK and the US are two countries divided by a common language! And, obviously that extends to other English speaking countries, we have close family in New Zealand and similar expressions often mean very different things in the two countries.

I would have kindly and certainly answered to, "what do you enjoy doing back in Texas" ~I took his question, "what do you do?" as "how do you make your living?'.... perhaps it was just his tone or being a Southern lady, his being so forward when I had never in my life seen this man.

MB

I would have kindly and certainly answered to, "what do you enjoy doing back in Texas" ~I took his question, "what do you do?" as "how do you make your living?'.... perhaps it was just his tone or being a Southern lady, his being so forward when I had never in my life seen this man.

MB

No it's not a conversation starter... it just sort of comes around in general flow

Yes, it's interesting, I found it unusual that Miss M found the question 'what do you do back in Texas?' to be 'inappropriate.' I know that some people don't like to be asked about their occupation, and that is fine (as a physician I don't always advertise the fact to strangers!) but most people who feel like that would, I thought, have a non-specific answer prepared.

Oh, it is so true that the UK and the US are two countries divided by a common language! And, obviously that extends to other English speaking countries, we have close family in New Zealand and similar expressions often mean very different things in the two countries.

I was also puzzled that the riposte and denouement would be considered amusing as denoted by:D

Clearly there may be more than just a language issue between we denizens of the UK and our Cousins the other side of the Pond. Social mores aside, our different perceptions of what is fun( the strap line of this thread) and what is cruel and offensive suggests a gulf between some of us that I had not encountered during most ( but not quite all) fascinating discussions aboard ship with many Americans. However this spurs me on to continuing to engage, albeit now with informed caution should I detect a southern drawl. No offence intended.

Around two years ago there was an excellent thread started by Writer100 around the theme of how to start up a conversation on board ship. A few wise words and a lot of harmless fun and maybe worth searching out if anyone is interested.

I didn't complain, I couldn't as I was having trouble breathing at the time, but my banana boat ride on odyssey last September didn't go well. Banana boat capsized, inevitably, me too big to haul out and onto banana boat, too big to haul out into safety boat. I was towed back holding onto a line. All was well till the crew decided to accelerate, at which time I converted from surfboard to deep running torpedo. Finally back on board, having revitalising beverage (s) chatted with chief safety officer, coincidentally on board, who complained he would now have to rewrite the safety manual. Charming gentleman genuinely pleased to have witnessed the incident.

divsec, I LOVE your ability to laugh at yourself and I have made a mental note to self to NEVER to take a ride on the banana boat.

MB

I still don't find that question inappropriate! What a person does for a living, or anything else they have done in their life, is what makes them interesting....or not! Careers are something I have always found most people are happy to talk about!

Marianh - Like you, I re-engage in this discussion with some caution (perhaps overly encouraged by the emboldening effects of a couple of splashes of a good single malt and having spent three hours watching the specials of "Only Fools and Horses").

Once again, I will respectfully (the wonderful word that one uses when one does not intend much respect whatever) suggest that there is a vast difference between what is "cruel and offensive" and what is simply commenting upon (or even ridiculing) behavior that is rude, grossly insensitive, or wildly egocentric. The latter categories are neither afflictions to which one must be kindly sensitive nor disabilities that one must accommodate.

Having spent many years in my former life dealing with companies and law firms in the UK, I do not recall any instance in which there was any "gulf" between our "American" perception of human relations and the British perception thereof. Perhaps I simply had the good fortune to deal with less politically correct people, although it would be difficult to find anyone more politically correct than I am.

And as for being one of your "cousins", I must admit that my ancestors are from Germany who crossed the "pond" in steerage in 1920 or thereabouts. Perhaps it's that Teutonic heritage that impedes my understanding of your pleas for indulgence for rude and overly-demanding passengers.

Once again, bring on the funny anecdotes!!

I still don't find that question inappropriate! What a person does for a living, or anything else they have done in their life, is what makes them interesting....or not! Careers are something I have always found most people are happy to talk about!

Couldn't agree more!

Goodness! Note to self - be very careful how I start a conversation with someone on my first Seabourn cruise next month!

I had no idea that asking someone about their occupation was such a sensitive subject. I think us Aussie's must be too relaxed.

Couldn't agree more!

Goodness! Note to self - be very careful how I start a conversation with someone on my first Seabourn cruise next month!

I had no idea that asking someone about their occupation was such a sensitive subject. I think us Aussie's must be too relaxed.

Well, yes certainly when it comes to cricket.:)

Just jesting;)

Marianh - Like you, I re-engage in this discussion with some caution (perhaps overly encouraged by the emboldening effects of a couple of splashes of a good single malt and having spent three hours watching the specials of "Only Fools and Horses").

Once again, I will respectfully (the wonderful word that one uses when one does not intend much respect whatever) suggest that there is a vast difference between what is "cruel and offensive" and what is simply commenting upon (or even ridiculing) behavior that is rude, grossly insensitive, or wildly egocentric. The latter categories are neither afflictions to which one must be kindly sensitive nor disabilities that one must accommodate.

Having spent many years in my former life dealing with companies and law firms in the UK, I do not recall any instance in which there was any "gulf" between our "American" perception of human relations and the British perception thereof. Perhaps I simply had the good fortune to deal with less politically correct people, although it would be difficult to find anyone more politically correct than I am.

And as for being one of your "cousins", I must admit that my ancestors are from Germany who crossed the "pond" in steerage in 1920 or thereabouts. Perhaps it's that Teutonic heritage that impedes my understanding of your pleas for indulgence for rude and overly-demanding passengers.

Thank you for taking the time to share some further thoughts.

I do hope that the uisge beatha oiled your chuckle muscle and that you enjoyed OFH. Frankly Freddie ( please excuse the familiarity) while the programme is in turns amusing and pathetic( in the sympathetic sense), I have never thought of it as emboldening- an interesting concept. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed and maybe understood the patois.

I fear that we are in danger of being accused of dancing on the head of a pin and these exchanges may be considered by some to be overindulgent. Accordingly, it may be time to park them in the "never will agree box".

But before doing so, two points( well maybe three) if I may.

First, just out of interest, did you find MT's latest barstool anecdote funny?

Second,where did you learn the art of irony/sarcasm?

And third why did you cruelly mention malt whiskey when my favourite tipple for 50 years has just been proscribed for me. Oh, and what is your preference ?

Just so I can suffer even more. Schadenfreude if you must

Ha ha!

I mentioned elsewhere that we shared a cruise last year with the best part of 150 Australians. Such enjoyable memories of the banter and the booze. We two nations do seem to be on the same page when it comes to fun.

Hope you have a great cruise and be careful who you talk to;)

Well Freddie ( again please excuse the familiarity) you did ask.

Two cannibals aboard the Pride asked the Executive chef to prepare them his signature dish - Fricasse of Clown.

Seated in the MDR the cannibals tucked in. One turns to the other and says"does this taste funny to you?"

Couldn't agree more!

Hi cruising Kirby, me too. Glad I'm reading this thread while sitting in the lounge at the airport heading to the Odyssey in Istanbul. :)

Speaking of room service, my favorite exchange with them was one evening when I was 'dining in' and ordered 3 iced teas, as I was quite parched. The main course was roast beef, IIRC. Anyway, when my order arrived, it took 2 waiters with trays piled with food! I inquired as to the order and the waitstaff admitted when I ordered 3 iced teas it meant that I was dining with another person, and they had missed the order for one. They were charming and admitted they hoped I had 'met someone'!! They left me with my order for one, and took the rest to their pantry and finished off the rest of the order themselves. They were so kind and we all had a chuckle.

Hi cruising Kirby, me too. Glad I'm reading this thread while sitting in the lounge at the airport heading to the Odyssey in Istanbul. :)

don't worry about what you can and cant say to others on Seabourn, the "majority" are very nice people. Yes of course you will find "some" that have some strange ideas, but boy could I tell you some stories about some of them! (which of course I wouldn't be so rude to do in a public forum) ;) Enjoy your cruise!

don't worry about what you can and cant say to others on Seabourn, the "majority" are very nice people. Yes of course you will find "some" that have some strange ideas, but boy could I tell you some stories about some of them! (which of course I wouldn't be so rude to do in a public forum) ;)

Oh, go on.

Courage mon ami;)

"Doctor, I keep singing 'The Green Green Grass of Home'."

"Ah, yes. That's known as Tom Jones Syndrome."

"Is it common?"

"It's not unusual."

"Rotor,doctor, I've lost my memory"

"When did this happen?"

"When did what happen?"

Archived