*An Important Message From Royal Caribbean

• Administrators

I was asked by the management at Royal Caribbean Cruise Line to share this important information with Cruise Critic members who are following the thread entitled "Royal Caribbean cancelled my cruise", posted by Bsan1221:

"Royal Caribbean nor its agents were involved in the events that lead to statements made by Cruise Critic member Bsan1221 on June 29, 2005.

It is very unfortunate that Betty and her family were victims of Fraud, a problem that is vastly growing as technology advances.

What is Telemarketing Fraud?

Telemarketing Fraud

While there are many legitimate companies that use the telephone for marketing, consumers and business lose millions of dollars to telemarketing fraud each year. It's sometimes hard to tell the difference between reputable telemarketers and criminals who use the phone to rob people. You can protect yourself by learning how to recognize the danger signs of fraud. If you are a victim or attempted victim of telemarketing fraud, it's important to report the scam quickly so that law enforcement agencies can shut the fraudulent operation down.

What is Internet Fraud?

The term "Internet fraud" refers generally to any type of fraud scheme that uses one or more components of the Internet - such as chat rooms, e-mail, message boards, or Web sites - to present fraudulent solicitations to prospective victims, to conduct fraudulent transactions, or to transmit the proceeds of fraud to financial institutions or to other connected with the scheme.

If you use the Internet with any frequency, you'll soon see that people and things online tend to move, as the saying goes, on "Internet time." For most people, that phrase simply means that things seem to happen more quickly on the Internet -- business decisions, information-searching, personal interactions, to name a few - and to happen before, during, or after ordinary "bricks-and-mortar" business hours.

Unfortunately, people who engage in fraud often operate in "Internet time" as well. They seek to take advantage of the Internet's unique capabilities -- for example, by sending e-mail messages worldwide in seconds, or posting Web site information that is readily accessible from anywhere in the world - to carry out various types of fraudulent schemes more quickly than was possible with many fraud schemes in the past.

Since February 1999, when the Department of Justice established its Internet Fraud Initiative, the federal government has been expanding its efforts to combine criminal prosecution with coordinated analysis and investigation as part of a comprehensive approach to combating Internet fraud".

Laura

Is this refering to the thread about the woman who claimed RCI cancelled her cruise to make room for an employee? I can't seem to find the thread anymore. ... and is RCI saying that this never happened?

Yes, and the thread got 'poofed'. Sounds to me like RCI is trying to cover up a bad situation that an employee caused. From the sound of the prior thread, that employee needed to be fired. JMHO.

We need more info from the cruise line as to what happened. Are they saying Betty was defrauded? From all that Betty stated, they accepted responsibility for what occured.

We need Betty to come on and help clarify the situation as well, IMHO.

Lets see. Someone had a reservation for a cruise and then the reservation gets pulled out from under her. I'm not quite getting the connection with what that has to do with fraud, or at least not about internet fraud. Of couse, unless someone managed to hack into RCI's computers and snatch the cabin right out from under her.

Lets see. Someone had a reservation for a cruise and then the reservation gets pulled out from under her. I'm not quite getting the connection with what that has to do with fraud, or at least not about internet fraud.
I think that is a subtle way of informing us about fraud.

Yes, and the thread got 'poofed'. Sounds to me like RCI is trying to cover up a bad situation that an employee caused. From the sound of the prior thread, that employee needed to be fired. JMHO.

From the sound of the prior thread, the employee got a cruise instead. Given the above message, there must be more to the story.

I *do* think it's interesting that RCI was following the thread, as well.

I *do* think it's interesting that RCI was following the thread, as well.
That's what I was thinking when I first read this statement.

See and all of you though that my complaining about the charge for Johnny Rockets was falling on deaf ears.:D

Hi,

I do believe that Betty stated that she booked directly with RCI, and her friends employee discount was applied. How does RCI come up with fraud either internet or telemarketing. Why did Cruise Critic pull the thread? Could it be because RCI is a sponsor of the site? I think that RCI dropped the ball and they are looking for a scape goat.

:confused: Laura, are you trying to say that this never happened? You spoke of internet fraud....was anyone involved in viewing those threads, or responding at risk from something that involves Bsan122?

I don't think that is being said at all. From the RCI statement:

"It is very unfortunate that Betty and her family were victims of Fraud, a problem that is vastly growing as technology advances."

Maybe...(just a thought,no flames intended) Maybe if what was said happend,was considered fraud.And RCI is saying..It never happened??

In other words...Is it fraud to accept a reservation,and then cancel it without notice.And then the ship sails without you and you are SOL (ship,out of luck:D )

That would be fraud to me.Remember,she said it was a fluke that she found out about it,can't remember how.

Maybe RCI is saying...WHooo hold the ship...That never happened...

But then....their statement...We are sorry that Betty and her family was the victim of fraud...

So...apparently something happened..

Neither RCI nor their agents....Agents meaning booking agents that work for them,or agents meaning other agenices that take bookings for them?

Where is SMEYER when ya need a good lawyer.:)

I gotta get back in the pool,too much thinking for a Holiday .:p

Maybe...(just a thought,no flames intended) Maybe if what was said happend,was considered fraud.And RCI is saying..It never happened??

I gotta get back in the pool...:p

Once again according to the RCI statement:

"It is very unfortunate that Betty and her family were victims of Fraud, a problem that is vastly growing as technology advances."

Archived