My reason for cruising solo

gloje

My reasons for sailing solo are simply that I am not married, and most of my friends are either married or too broke to take vacations (or both). Then there are a few friends who have the time, and the money to cruise but while I like them, and am friends with them, there is NO WAY in heck I'd share a cabin with them for a whole week :eek: :D I don't like them THAT much (and some of them snore).

I know about the snoring friends its bad enough I have to share a room with one when we go on work conferences I don't want to do it on my vacation too. I find the people that are surprised or look at solo cruisers with pity are those that don't travel often. Most of the people I have met on solo travels (both land and sea) are very friendly and most are just curious about why you travel solo.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

So far, I have cruised with my daughter (teenager) or with my cousin and her husband, obviously in a different cabin lol. I enjoy having the cabin solo as well as having a roomie. Soon, I'm sure my daughter won't be able to be traveling as much and there is some concern with the additional costs of solo traveling. In a perfect world, I would like to meet Mr wonderful who likes to cruise and enjoy life as we live it, but as mentioned previously, this isn't the case right now lol. Would be nice to have even a travel companion to help with costs and who also likes to enjoy life. I research quite a bit about ports, etc and have no qualms about going solo. I can people watch, enjoy the sun and food and meet people.

It's what you make it to be that counts the most...

I'm in the process of setting up my 1st solo cruise!

I've booked a cruise three times in the last four years for my husband and me, and every time he has decided not to go! We lose money, I'm disappointed, we argue, and I go nowhere.

Sooo, I'm going on a cruise solo, and I'm really very excited. Love my DH, but he has zero interest in travelling anymore; life is short! I'm probably going in Nov. 2014 so I don't have to come up w/all that $$ (single supplement).

I love to cruise the Caribbean: leisure, pampering, the pool, my balcony, the spa, good food, a cabin to myself, ALL THE ROOM SERVICE I CAN STAND, the air, the sea, and hopefully people to sit with at dinner. Throw in a few good books and I'm one happy woman. :)

I am going on my first Solo cruise in Jan 2014 with Carnival. I did not have to pay for two - got a great price for a balcony room single rate.

My husband does not want to cruise. I am looking forward to cruising alone.

I have been fortunate enough to be able to cruise with family, but they can not get away as often as I can, and I can cruise and do what I want when I want for a lot less than a land vacation. Plus, even though I go to the same place a lot of times, it is still something different I can do in port, or stay on the ship and relax, sit by the pool, sleep in, or whatever I want.

One thing I have been accused of when I plan one is that since I am a younger single guy, I am only going to pickup someone for a one night stand (and I am not like that at all!) I explain that yes, I may find some nice lady that I would hang out with, but that not all single cruisers are looking for that. Gotta love the notions that cruises and singles have huh?

I'm in the process of setting up my 1st solo cruise!

I've booked a cruise three times in the last four years for my husband and me, and every time he has decided not to go! We lose money, I'm disappointed, we argue, and I go nowhere.

Sooo, I'm going on a cruise solo, and I'm really very excited. . . . Throw in a few good books and I'm one happy woman. :)

Good for you. Enjoy!

I have been fortunate enough to be able to cruise with family, but they can not get away as often as I can, and I can cruise and do what I want when I want for a lot less than a land vacation. Plus, even though I go to the same place a lot of times, it is still something different I can do in port, or stay on the ship and relax, sit by the pool, sleep in, or whatever I want.

One thing I have been accused of when I plan one is that since I am a younger single guy, I am only going to pickup someone for a one night stand (and I am not like that at all!) I explain that yes, I may find some nice lady that I would hang out with, but that not all single cruisers are looking for that. Gotta love the notions that cruises and singles have huh?

you just have to ignore the haters.. I book solo cruises all the time. In fact my next cruise will be a 9 day solo to the eastern Caribbean out of NJ. you are better than me because I tell my family they cannot go with me. while I cannot keep people from booking the same cruise as me I tell them I am not sharing my cabin and I am on my own agenda (catch me if you can).

My aunt is trying to book a family reunion cruise and the first thing i told my aunt was to price me for a cabin by myself because i refuse to share a cabin point blank and simple..

For me personally, it is not a vacation if I have to move to someone else's tune.

I say if you prefer cruising solo ( as I do) then keep going solo.

• 2 weeks later...
Most of my friends are either broke or cheap. Then I have friends who like to back out at the last minute.I spent a year trying to get someone to go with me. I finally had enough and decided to just go alone. I'm going on my first one in February.

You've made a good decision.

This year, I went on two cruises: one with my aunt and two cousins and one solo. Guess which one I preferred?

There's something about solo cruising that I absolutely love and don't plan to give up anytime soon. My next cruise, I was able to snag a premium aft balcony for an amazing solo rate and I can't wait to enjoy the cabin all to myself. The last time I had a balcony, I was cruising with a friend and I didn't get to utilize the balcony the way I would've liked so I'm making sure that won't happen this time around. My last cruise also included two solo nights in San Juan and I enjoyed myself immensely.

I'm very comfortable traveling by myself, although it makes my parents uncomfortable. I'm careful with my surroundings and make sure I plan everything with my safety being paramount. I'm my best company and I love to spoil myself so it works out perfectly. When I eventually get into a relationship, I would go on a cruise with my SO but he would have to understand that I require at least an hour of "me time" a day. I also wouldn't stop my friends from coming on the same sailing with me, but they will have to get a separate cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

• 2 weeks later...

As soon as I get my tax refund, I'll be booking my first solo cruise. I haven't decided the date yet, but it's Jan/Feb 2015, Norwegian Breakaway 12 day Caribbean. I'm doing this because on my first cruise I went with a group, and there's too much drama and worrying about everyone being happy. I want to get away and do my own thing. I can't wait! :p

Honestly? Because life is short. I decided this year I wanted to be a on a cruise ship for my birthday and since it doesn't look like anyone's going to be able to go with me I'm going solo.

Like others, I'm hoping to find my long-term travel partner in the future, but I'm not going to sit home and wait for that to happen. I have the means (finally) to take vacations and I'm going to take them.

Plus, I live alone and generally enjoy my own company so I'm not too worried. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

My reason for travelling solo has evolved over the years. It has always been that I love to travel and when I was younger! I could get friends or relatives to go on shorter cheaper trips but not my long hauls one, so it was either go alone or not go at all.

Now I actually prefer to travel solo. I work long hours in a stressful job, so take lots of foreign trips to recharge and I want to be doing what I wNt to be doing all of the time. Sometimes what I want is not actually anything at all! which is fine when it's just your own holiday but not when someone else is being put out.

The only exception is short city breaks with my young niece. We've been doing a annual trip since she was 8 (now 19) and we always have fun. Then again I see that as her trip not so much mine.short spa breaks with sister or friend are also good fun.

I don't think I'll actually cruise again with someone else though. I don't mind getting to know others via a roll call, in fact I'll soon be going on s cruise after some online CC friends pointed it out to me. That said, we all have our own cabins and are free to do on our thing or not. It's the only way I could contemplate a group situation!

Edited by AmoMondo

I cruise a lot solo. Most of the times, I'm traveling solo, but have a whole cruise family that I have met over the years that also are there. I really enjoy their company and we have a great time together.

There are also times when I cruise solo and know no one on the cruise. I like those times also, because it gives me a chance to totally relax. I don't have any type of schedule to keep with my friends.

I live by shedules and time constraits at work, so these times of having nothing planned are heaven to me.

I am a widow and have been thinking about a solo cruise for many years. Have had some good roommates, but have also had some terrible ones. So I finally decided I had had enough. Hate giving up my balcony room, single supplement eliminated that. But figure, with the interior room, I will get out and about more. I never do things half way, no short cruises for me.....I jumped in with both feet. I leave in 28 days for a 15 day RT from San Francisco to Hawaii. Very excited, not really nervous at all. found my CC roll call and got involved in that. I plan on enjoying every minute of my cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

I am slow happy to read the positive posts about cruising solo! I'm taking my 1st cruise this summer with a friend /coworker but the more I read here the more convinced I am that I am going solo.

I've been taking 3 to 4 day "retreats" at the beach in Texas during fall full moon so the alone component wouldn't bother me anymore. I could probably cruise out of Galveston TX for about what that costs me. I can't wait to get on the 1st one so I can start planning the next one!

If anyone can direct me to threads from solo travelers in Houston area I would appreciate it.

Thanks for sharing