DJ instead of bands?...is it just scratch music

cowboygene

DJs aren't necessarily the "scratch" the turntable DJs. They do play a variety of muscial styles but tend toward hip hop dance, with some harder core rap in the late night clubs and some DJs do play soca or ragga-soca on the Lido during deck parties. They will play more Top 40 or Caribbean pop (Buffet and others) during the day time. However, each DJ has a different repertoire.

DJs aren't necessarily the "scratch" the turntable DJs. They do play a variety of muscial styles but tend toward hip hop dance, with some harder core rap in the late night clubs and some DJs do play soca or ragga-soca on the Lido during deck parties. They will play more Top 40 or Caribbean pop (Buffet and others) during the day time. However, each DJ has a different repertoire.

Im thinking hiring DJ Irie was a big mistake by Carnival :D

Im thinking hiring DJ Irie was a big mistake by Carnival :D

I don't get the big deal about "DJ Irie". Seems like just any other DJ :confused: Who/what exactly is DJ Irie? The music is so loud on Lido it is just annoying. Sometimes it is difficult to carry on a conversation with the person next to you. (I know, I must be getting old-LOL)

I don't get the big deal about "DJ Irie". Seems like just any other DJ :confused: Who/what exactly is DJ Irie? The music is so loud on Lido it is just annoying. Sometimes it is difficult to carry on a conversation with the person next to you. (I know, I must be getting old-LOL)

I'm not sure. Bad DJ's playing loud music makes them worse. I rarely find one that doesn't overmodulate.

Back on Carnival after a several years, I remember all the great live bands in the dance clubs we enjoyed.

Are those bands gone, replaced with a DJ?

And do the DJ's just play music they can scratch with?

With perhaps an exception or two the bands are gone. The dance clubs are all DJ provided music.

For the second part of your question; Carnival DJ's have been trained on Serato Itch. Imagine a laptop with a digital music library linked to an external controller that resembles a two CD player mixer. The jog wheels are there as well as controls for effects.

Serato is the standard of the industry, replacing Virtual DJ as software that lets you mix, pitch blend and cross-fade with multiple effects. It's also fun to use. My DJ's love it, and so do our wedding guests.

In the past year the DJ's on the Conquest and the Triumph were horrible. Those on the Glory and Imagination were really good, and played a mix including tailoring to the age of the crowd.

Nothing is worse than second tier hip-hop on the lido deck at 10am in the morning. The Triumph guys answered the complaints with a volume increase.

Back on Carnival after a several years, I remember all the great live bands in the dance clubs we enjoyed.

Are those bands gone, replaced with a DJ?

And do the DJ's just play music they can scratch with?

There are still some Cover Bands left. Especially with "Music...." I just got off the Freedom and saw "Music Boardwalk". Starting November 30th they will be on the Liberty until May 30th.

I think that Carnival is making a HUGE mistake in letting these bands go. It was always reassuring that when you went on a Carnival ship you knew you were getting a good band without question. It will be very sad indeed. So enjoy the bands while you can. Happy Cruising

There are still some Cover Bands left. Especially with "Music...." I just got off the Freedom and saw "Music Boardwalk". Starting November 30th they will be on the Liberty until May 30th.

I think that Carnival is making a HUGE mistake in letting these bands go. It was always reassuring that when you went on a Carnival ship you knew you were getting a good band without question. It will be very sad indeed. So enjoy the bands while you can. Happy Cruising

That is cool I will be on the Liberty 4/5/2014 but I do agree the cover bands will be a thing of the past some day which is unfortunate because CCL use to have the best live bands at sea IMO.

Gary

That is cool I will be on the Liberty 4/5/2014 but I do agree the cover bands will be a thing of the past some day which is unfortunate because CCL use to have the best live bands at sea IMO.

Gary

I think it will be sooner than we think Gary. I spoke to the CD on the Freedom and he seems to think that next year will be it for a lot of them. That's why I'm booking the Liberty. Soo sad to see this happen.

So enjoy them Gary, I'm sure you will. Mary49

Once the ship gets the 2.0 upg...err... lets go with changes... the music will switch over to predominately piped in. On the Breeze earlier this year there was one band that played very limited hours, a duo that performed latin music, a guitar guy, and the piano performer. All music at the "shows" is piped in now. All music on the Lido deck was DJ driven, there is no longer a calypso band.

If you haven't been on Carnival in a few years you're in for a big surprise.

Once the ship gets the 2.0 upg...err... lets go with changes... the music will switch over to predominately piped in. On the Breeze earlier this year there was one band that played very limited hours, a duo that performed latin music, a guitar guy, and the piano performer. All music at the "shows" is piped in now. All music on the Lido deck was DJ driven, there is no longer a calypso band.

If you haven't been on Carnival in a few years you're in for a big surprise.

CCL is betting on the fact that 98 percent of the guests that cruise on their ships are first time cruisers so they do not notice the difference in the entertainment on the ships or I should say lack of. I remember when there was a five man calypso band and live bands throughout the ship but things do change and sometimes for the worst.

CCL is betting on the fact that 98 percent of the guests that cruise on their ships are first time cruisers so they do not notice the difference in the entertainment on the ships or I should say lack of. I remember when there was a five man calypso band and live bands throughout the ship but things do change and sometimes for the worst.

Well said. What used to be better than a great sail away party with a band or steel drums playing Calypso music? :D Only Kathy Lee singing her song in her red dress!!:eek:

We still laugh about a steel drum band years ago on the Jubilee. They played Who Sot the Sheriff over and over throughout the cruise and just mangled it! Mangled version is better than the DJ version of anything!

It has been a very slow process over the last few years. The pit orchestras have disappeared from the shows, the steel drums have disappeared from the Lido, and most 'live' music in other venues is one performer, playing/singing to tracks. Since I am a musician, hearing other good musicians helped to make my cruise experience memorable. Fortunately, they still have a few vocalists that are worth listening to. If they can't go back to the way it was, with live musicians, they may as well just pipe in music like a dentist or doctors office.:(

Just hope they don't get rid of the Piano Bar......

For what it's worth, I really think the piano performer job is safe because the piano bars on Carnival are a major profit center for the line. They're always jam packed with people ordering lots of drinks.

We were on the 8/24/13 Pride cruise. THE CELEBRATION BAND was playing in the Starry Night Club........they were amazing........played tons of songs that we could dance the night away too. Plus, we requested a few songs - if they didn't know it they "learned" it for us!!! Amazing band - if you are cruising on the Pride they will be there for about a year (I think)............they truly made our cruise super enjoyable!!!!:):)

Archived