UBP Exemption due to medication?

lizboyle

We are booked on Epic in October and may want to purchase the UBP. Problem is...we are sailing with our adult niece who can't drink due to medication she takes. 3 of us are in one cabin. Has anyone been exempt from purchasing if they provide a letter from a doctor?

I probably will never purchase the UBP because I'm not much of a drinker. I would possibly purchase caps and corks.

However I cruise with my mentally challenged daughter who is 30 but does not drink. Would I STILL have to purchase it for her? I would bring a doctor's note and they would plainly see that she's handicapped

I probably will never purchase the UBP because I'm not much of a drinker. I would possibly purchase caps and corks.

However I cruise with my mentally challenged daughter who is 30 but does not drink. Would I STILL have to purchase it for her? I would bring a doctor's note and they would plainly see that she's handicapped

She might be considered a child. And NCL states that if the adults in the stateroom purchase the UBP then the kids in the stateroom have to purchase the soda package. So you could probably only get the UBP for you and the soda package for your daughter.

Not everyone can tolerate alcohol and surely a letter proving that should suffice.

The letter really proves nothing. As far as the people on the ship know my next-door neighbor could print it up on his computer...NCL isn't going to check to see if the person signing is really a doctor!

The thing about UBP is that the guest always has the choice. NOTHING is being forced. UBP is available only IF the cruiser wants to purchase it. UBP is available only IF ALL people in the cabin purchase it. If...for ANY reason...someone doesn't want to or can't purchase it, then nobody has to...problem solved.

Or look at it this way...

Person A drinks

Person B does not

If A's bar tab without a package is less than the cost of two packages, then save money and buy drinks the old fashionedway.

If A's bar tab without a package is more than the cost of two packages, then buy two packages...it will be cheaper. Besides, just becaue B has a package doesn't mean they HAVE to use it.

The letter really proves nothing. As far as the people on the ship know my next-door neighbor could print it up on his computer...NCL isn't going to check to see if the person signing is really a doctor!

The thing about UBP is that the guest always has the choice. NOTHING is being forced. UBP is available only IF the cruiser wants to purchase it. UBP is available only IF ALL people in the cabin purchase it. If...for ANY reason...someone doesn't want to or can't purchase it, then nobody has to...problem solved.

Person A drinks

Person B does not

If A's bar tab without a package is less than the cost of two packages, then save money and buy drinks the old fashionedway.

If A's bar tab without a package is more than the cost of two packages, then buy two packages...it will be cheaper. Besides, just becaue B has a package doesn't mean they HAVE to use it.

Agreed.

Person A drinks

Person B does not

You nailed it!! Since the UBP started, no exceptions. Thanks!!

Person A drinks

Person B does not

Couldn't have said it better.

Person A drinks

Person B does not

Nice to see a well reasoned response. :)

Agree with SeaShark. I personally saw someone try to argue this unsuccessfully with the F&B Manager on our last cruise. There was no letter, but I don't know that would've helped. The passenger called his wife over with her pill bottles to show the F&B manager. It was uncomfortable for everyone. The guy said he "wouldn't have taken the cruise had he known this rule" and stormed off.

Even the poster with the mentally challenged daughter, I wouldn't count on arguing she's a child. She could go to any bar and get served on land. There's nothing saying a person with intellectual disability can't drink.

I can only imagine the lineup to show letters saying that "I can't/don't drink because......." the reasons would be numerous... the answer would be the same. NO EXCEPTIONS!

There's no way my DH and I would get the UBP because we, even together, wouldn't drink $50/day worth of booze so why pay that kind of money. $100/day for 7 days = $700 and we can use that for other things. That's just my opinion.

Royal Carribean has exceptions for a sober person in the cabin, a pregnant person and for people who can't drink for medical reasons. I can't imagine NCL wouldn't have the ame policy.

Oh I can. Its not the first time NCL has been accused of "Ready, Fire, Aim".

Royal Carribean has exceptions for a sober person in the cabin, a pregnant person and for people who can't drink for medical reasons. I can't imagine NCL wouldn't have the ame policy.

Why can't you imagine?

NCL gives you lunch in MDR on embarkation, Carnival does not and has stated they won't.

What one lines does the other does not have to. Both Carnival and NCL have no exception polices, adult in cabin they have to pay. Both boards have discussed this ad nauseam and still no exceptions on the two lines.

Oh I can. Its not the first time NCL has been accused of "Ready, Fire, Aim".

Really, please read below. This is not NCL's first rodeo.

This would become another fine example of the minority screwing things up for the majority.

Unfortunetly I can only imagine the abuse of the "bringing a letter" I think it would be right up there with all the illegal booze smuggling the people thinks is just fine and the soda card that gets past around to an entire family.

I think the entire policy is crazy, unless everyone in cabin are heavy drinkers. We did the math, too, based on our OB expenditures at end of previous NCL cruises. We pay more for higher-end wines, so our bill is higher, but it's not calculated on number of glasses we consume. So for us, this policy would never work and we would never buy it. However, if it also includes bottled water, maybe I'll have to revisit and do more calculations.

I've also compared NCL program w/other cruise lines that include cost of all drinks--alchohol, bottled water & sodas----in the cruise price. NCL suite cabin prices, even with what we spend on wines onboard, easily beat the other lines price wise.

Could never understand why NCL insists that children in cabin have to buy a soda package, too. It's not very healthy to encourage children or anyone else to drink a lot of soda, which they would have to do to justify the program's cost. Even if it's diet soda, carbonated drinks leach calcium from bones. For children, this is the time for them to build up calcium to avoid osteoporosis later in life. (If you're a soda fan, please don't flame me. I'm just saying it's a no-win situation health wise.)

Could never understand why NCL insists that children in cabin have to buy a soda package, too. It's not very healthy to encourage children or anyone else to drink a lot of soda, which they would have to do to justify the program's cost. Even if it's diet soda, carbonated drinks leach calcium from bones. For children, this is the time for them to build up calcium to avoid osteoporosis later in life. (If you're a soda fan, please don't flame me. I'm just saying it's a no-win situation health wise.)

I generally agree with you, but a week's worth of soda - even if it's non-stop soda - isn't going to destroy anyone's bones. Plenty of families restrict access to soda at home and let their kids go wild on vacation, which is fine.

Archived