UBP Exemption due to medication?

lizboyle

Could never understand why NCL insists that children in cabin have to buy a soda package, too. It's not very healthy to encourage children or anyone else to drink a lot of soda, which they would have to do to justify the program's cost. Even if it's diet soda, carbonated drinks leach calcium from bones. For children, this is the time for them to build up calcium to avoid osteoporosis later in life. (If you're a soda fan, please don't flame me. I'm just saying it's a no-win situation health wise.)

While I agree with what you are trying to say, it's not NCL's job to be the health police. They are in business to make money, just like any other cruise line or resort. Children don't buy the soda packages, their parents do. It's up to them to worry about what their child ingests.

I think the entire policy is crazy, unless everyone in cabin are heavy drinkers. We did the math, too, based on our OB expenditures at end of previous NCL cruises. We pay more for higher-end wines, so our bill is higher, but it's not calculated on number of glasses we consume. So for us, this policy would never work and we would never buy it. However, if it also includes bottled water, maybe I'll have to revisit and do more calculations.

Just looked at the terms & conditions for both the Ultimate Beverage and Caps & Corks programs. Both exclude bottled water, so no need to recalculate! Exclusions as follows:

UBP Package does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands, (subject to change), bottled wines, wine by the glass over $10, bottled beer over $5.50, draft beer over $5.95, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh-squeezed juices, select Lavazza coffee beverages or energy drinks. One beverage per person per transaction.

UBP CC: Package does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions and beer buckets, bottled wine, wine by the glass over $10, bottled beer over $5.50, draft beer over $5.95, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh-squeezed juices, select Lavazza coffee beverages or energy drinks. One beverage per person per transaction.

I think the entire policy is crazy, unless everyone in cabin are heavy drinkers. We did the math, too, based on our OB expenditures at end of previous NCL cruises. We pay more for higher-end wines, so our bill is higher, but it's not calculated on number of glasses we consume. So for us, this policy would never work and we would never buy it. However, if it also includes bottled water, maybe I'll have to revisit and do more calculations.

I've also compared NCL program w/other cruise lines that include cost of all drinks--alchohol, bottled water & sodas----in the cruise price. NCL suite cabin prices, even with what we spend on wines onboard, easily beat the other lines price wise.

Could never understand why NCL insists that children in cabin have to buy a soda package, too. It's not very healthy to encourage children or anyone else to drink a lot of soda, which they would have to do to justify the program's cost. Even if it's diet soda, carbonated drinks leach calcium from bones. For children, this is the time for them to build up calcium to avoid osteoporosis later in life. (If you're a soda fan, please don't flame me. I'm just saying it's a no-win situation health wise.)

Seriously if we were drinkers i don't think we could afford to cruise.

Our drink prices in Canada are pretty well the same as ship prices except for the exchange rate. So you Americans must just choke over the booze prices on board.

We started cruising years ago because of the all "inclusive resorts" again because of the booze.

Our drink prices in Canada are pretty well the same as ship prices except for the exchange rate. So you Americans must just choke over the booze prices on board.

Total agreement ;)

Just looked at the terms & conditions for both the Ultimate Beverage and Caps & Corks programs. Both exclude bottled water, so no need to recalculate! Exclusions as follows:

UBP Package does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands, (subject to change), bottled wines, wine by the glass over $10, bottled beer over $5.50, draft beer over $5.95, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh-squeezed juices, select Lavazza coffee beverages or energy drinks. One beverage per person per transaction.

UBP CC: Package does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions and beer buckets, bottled wine, wine by the glass over $10, bottled beer over $5.50, draft beer over $5.95, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh-squeezed juices, select Lavazza coffee beverages or energy drinks. One beverage per person per transaction.

Wow. Do they actually include anything? :confused:

Well, I'm sure they include some things but looking just at the exclusions I'd be tempted to say NO, THANKS, I'll pay for it as I go.

I did check the cost of booze from our last cruise and DH & I were not even close to $100 / day so we'll just stick to our usual and have a glass of wine with dinner and possibly buy a bottle or two for the week, not per day, LOL. (It makes no sense for us to bring our own anyway since we're flying in this time.)

It would be great if you've been on a cruise previously and have an idea of how much you spend on booze. We've only been on two cruises but already we know the UBP is not for us.

It is what it is, and some will find it great, others not so much. Your choice, hope you make the right one for you.

Have a fun and safe cruise,

My partner and I sometimes purchase the beverage package, sometimes we don't. I can and do like to have a few cocktails from time to time. He does as well, but can only have a couple and not push it due to medical reasons; he's epileptic. We did ask, both at NCL and at Carnival, if there were medical exceptions (he has both prescription bottles and a medical alert bracelet as proof if necessary). We were told, "sorry, nope" followed by a sympathetic smile, which we answered with "no worries, you don't make the rules."

ETA: After being told no, more often than not we still opted to buy the package despite the fact that one of us would never "get his money's worth." We would do so because I like to try different drinks and having that option allowed me to do so without concerns of money wasted.

We sure as heck aren't going to argue with someone that is merely doing their job. Nor are we going to ask for said rules to be bent or broken for us. We don't feel entitled to special treatment.

Don't like the rules? That's fine. Find a cruise line or vacation destination that better suits your needs. Easy answer.

My partner and I sometimes purchase the beverage package, sometimes we don't. I can and do like to have a few cocktails from time to time. He does as well, but can only have a couple and not push it due to medical reasons; he's epileptic. We did ask, both at NCL and at Carnival, if there were medical exceptions (he has both prescription bottles and a medical alert bracelet as proof if necessary). We were told, "sorry, nope" followed by a sympathetic smile, which we answered with "no worries, you don't make the rules."

We sure as heck aren't going to argue with someone that is merely doing their job. Nor are we going to ask for said rules to be bent or broken for us. We don't feel entitled to special treatment.

Don't like the rules? That's fine. Find a cruise line or vacation destination that better suits your needs. Easy answer.

Well said and I'm in total agreement. This thread though is starting to feel like we're beating a dead horse here so I'm thinking we all need to move on...

Have a great day and enjoy your cruise whenever and wherever it may be...

Cheers,

We started cruising years ago because of the all "inclusive resorts" again because of the booze.

Depends. We live in the NYC area, and love the prices on the ship! A glass of house wine here runs $8 - $12 (higher in upscale or hotel bars). Our bottles are cheaper, but it's expensive to drink when we're out.

The only one that I find to be ridiculous is the fact that if you are pregnant you must have a letter of fitness for travel from your doctor, and yet they'd expect that same person to buy the UBP if their cabin mate chose to.

That's easy to figure out. They don't want any medical or legal issues relating to the pregnancy.

"No Exceptions" to the drink program. If they allow "one person"....then they'd have to allow everyone. The travel companion(s) of the pregnant person isn't forced to buy the UBP.

NCl isn't "social services"....it's a business :)

Although it may not be logical....business wise, it's very logical.

That's easy to figure out. They don't want any medical or legal issues relating to the pregnancy.

"No Exceptions" to the drink program. If they allow "one person"....then they'd have to allow everyone. The travel companion(s) of the pregnant person isn't forced to buy the UBP.

NCl isn't "social services"....it's a business :)

Although it may not be logical....business wise, it's very logical.

Yep. The UBP is in place to raise revenue for the business, not to save the individual customer money. I would think that the concern with only one person in the cabin buying the program is that the two would share it, which would of course reduce profits. Some people may really need an exclusion but there are too many more that would game the system and bring an "Epstein" note (thanks for the flashback don24) to get out of buying two packages. The UBP is not for everyone.

Yep. The UBP is in place to raise revenue for the business, not to save the individual customer money. I would think that the concern with only one person in the cabin buying the program is that the two would share it, which would of course reduce profits. Some people may really need an exclusion but there are too many more that would game the system and bring an "Epstein" note (thanks for the flashback don24) to get out of buying two packages. The UBP is not for everyone.

However....let's look at this scenario.

Mr & Mrs Smith (she is expecting) go on a cruise. They like to drink...but she gave it up temporarily due to her pregnancy.

Mr Smith want the UBP...(he really likes his booze)...and realizes that it would be cheaper to get the package for 2 of them than buying his own drinks.

She has "just a little bit to drink"....and, a few months later gives birth to a child with issues.

I am assuming that NCL keeps records of the drinks ordered.

The Smiths sue NCL...stating that their policy coerced her into buy the package, despite that they knew she was pregnant and she requested exemption...and thus made the drinks available to her.

I know we should have personal responsibility...but nowadays...people don't.

I can see a lawyer looking right at NCL's deep pockets.

NCLs lawyers should take a look at that scenario....cause it's bound to happen one day.

Mr & Mrs Smith (she is expecting) go on a cruise. They like to drink...but she gave it up temporarily due to her pregnancy.

Mr Smith want the UBP...(he really likes his booze)...and realizes that it would be cheaper to get the package for 2 of them than buying his own drinks.

She has "just a little bit to drink"....and, a few months later gives birth to a child with issues.

The Smiths sue NCL...stating that their policy coerced her into buy the package, despite that they knew she was pregnant and she requested exemption...and thus made the drinks available to her.

NCLs lawyers should take a look at that scenario....cause it's bound to happen one day.

The main problem with the scenario you outlined is that alcoholic beverages have ALWAYS been available on the ship for purchase to anyone of drinking age regardless of their condition. So even without the UBP, a pregnant woman could purchase and consume an alcoholic drink while on the cruise as could a recovering alcoholic, an epileptic, someone on medication etc. Just as they have the ability to not purchase the individual drink, they have the option to not purchase the package. The UBP also includes non-alcoholic drinks, so the pregnant or person on medication in the cabin can still get some benefit out of the package without consuming alcoholic beverages. No one is coercing anyone to do something that is unhealthy for their own individual circumstances.

The main problem with the scenario you outlined is that alcoholic beverages have ALWAYS been available on the ship for purchase to anyone of drinking age regardless of their condition. So even without the UBP, a pregnant woman could purchase and consume an alcoholic drink while on the cruise as could a recovering alcoholic, an epileptic, someone on medication etc. Just as they have the ability to not purchase the individual drink, they have the option to not purchase the package. The UBP also includes non-alcoholic drinks, so the pregnant or person on medication in the cabin can still get some benefit out of the package without consuming alcoholic beverages. No one is coercing anyone to do something that is unhealthy for their own individual circumstances.

That's not how her attorney would see it. (Not saying I agree....just that I could see the scenario)

Remember....nowadays nobody seems to have personal responsibility.

Royal Carribean has exceptions for a sober person in the cabin, a pregnant person and for people who can't drink for medical reasons. I can't imagine NCL wouldn't have the ame policy.

Why? CCL's policy is the same as NCL's. No exceptions. Everyone 21 and over can either buy the UBP or no one can and each person can buy individual drinks that want to drink.

Yes, personal responsibility has slipped dramatically in recent years but it is my understanding that courts have long held that a merchant offering an "either or/take it or leave it choice" is not forcing the customer to do anything. Besides which they would need a medical doctor to testify that the little bit of alcohol consumed on the cruise caused or contributed to the damage (and it had nothing to do with the alcohol consumed during the rest of the pregnancy;)).

(And it wouldn't surprise me if the legal department at NCL has already played through this scenario before the program was offered.)

Why? CCL's policy is the same as NCL's. No exceptions. Everyone 21 and over can either buy the UBP or no one can and each person can buy individual drinks that want to drink.

Also on Celebrity one can buy it and the other can chose not to.... I guess they trust people to act like adults on Celebrity. I find it condescending to force people to take it. We have had beverage packages on Celebrity for four years now, and it is easy to get your money's worth without stealing. Celebrity's top package blow away the NCL package anyway, it includes all cocktails up to $12.00 Wine up to $12.00, beer up to $8.00, specialty coffees, frapachinos, speacialty teas, fresh squeezed juices, soda in the can, bottled water, red bull, smoothies, frozen drinks. The ultimate non-alcohol includes all of the above with the exception of beer, wine and cocktails.

So alot of people get the alcohol plan for the drinker and the non-alcohol plan for the teatotaler.......

And their are non-alcohol plans that are really cheap...

Also on Celebrity one can buy it and the other can chose not to.... I guess they trust people to act like adults on Celebrity. I find it condescending to force people to take it. We have had beverage packages on Celebrity for four years now, and it is easy to get your money's worth without stealing. Celebrity's top package blow away the NCL package anyway, it includes all cocktails up to $12.00 Wine up to $12.00, beer up to $8.00, specialty coffees, frapachinos, speacialty teas, fresh squeezed juices, soda in the can, bottled water, red bull, smoothies, frozen drinks. The ultimate non-alcohol includes all of the above with the exception of beer, wine and cocktails.

So alot of people get the alcohol plan for the drinker and the non-alcohol plan for the teatotaler.......

I don't think anyone would argue that Celebrity has some of the best beverage packages. If beverage packages were what I used to choose my cruises, they'd be high on the list!

And frankly, with NCL in the category of "less expensive mass market lines," yeah, they'll likely have more guests that try and cheat the system to save a few bucks.

For the record, RCCL and Celebrity are owned by the same parent company so it doesn't surprise me that Celebrity does this since RCCL does this as well.

But..........this is NCL and they don't (nor does Carnival). So if one person MUST have the UBP and the other in the cabin refuses, the best suggestion is to go with RCCL or Celebrity for their cruise.

You also failed to present the cost of Celebrity's top package as well.

Geez.... I only asked a simple question. I certainly don't want to cheat by buying only two packages.

This has been a hot potato in several UBP threads since the launch of UBP and that's why the topic generates quite heated discussion. Sorry that you got in the cross fire with your question. :)

Archived