Computer access in PH on Marina

Pearl64

We are on a b2b in November and was wondering if a laptop computer is available in the penthouse suites. I knew an IPAD was available but I possibly wanted to do some banking while aboard and it would be tricky to do on my IPAD. Also, how secure is the Internet? Just trying to research my options. Thank you. By the way I did do a search of this question but to no avail.

Pearl

The iPad option hadn't been put on board last time I was on board, but I think that they are only on request, and subject to availability in a PH, whereas every PH has a laptop. :)

From the "O" website under PH Suite ameneties....

"Laptop computer with wireless Internet access+

New for 2013! - Exclusive discounts on internet usage plans

New for 2013! - Complimentary iPad® available for your enjoyment onboard+"

Pearl, not sure if I would feel comfortable using someone elses laptop to do my banking.

Agreed, you'd have to be very careful about cookies (not the kind you eat!)

Does anyone know if you can use the laptop in the PH's without being connected to the internet? To play solitaire, or look at photos, or write something, for instance?

Does anyone know if you can use the laptop in the PH's without being connected to the internet? To play solitaire, or look at photos, or write something, for instance?

They can't be used for anything like that because the ports are disabled and there is no software for games installed or allowed. As I understand it, some of the newer laptops may have Word or Notepad installed, but nothing more.

We always bring our own.

I have the same question that some of the other posters have re use of the ship's laptop. In addition, does anyone know if I one can use a flash drive in order to review documents, etc.? I would really like not to have to bring our laptop.

I have the same question that some of the other posters have re use of the ship's laptop. In addition, does anyone know if I one can use a flash drive in order to review documents, etc.? I would really like not to have to bring our laptop.

Bring your own laptop. The ports on the Oceania computers are disabled, so as to avoid malware.

Please note that there will always be people who read this who will have had access to a computer whose ports were not blocked through some sort of oversight.

However, as the Oceania policy is that the ports SHOULD be blocked, you must assume that they will be.

They can't be used for anything like that because the ports are disabled and there is no software for games installed or allowed. As I understand it, some of the newer laptops may have Word or Notepad installed, but nothing more.

We always bring our own.

... The ports on the Oceania computers are disabled, so as to avoid malware.

Thanks for the information. This sounds fairly useless to me. I can't believe they strip the operating system so you can't do "normal" things that a PC does. If you're not connected to the internet, don't have to worry about malware, do you? (although point taken about a flash drive). And surely if you *are* connected to the internet, then all risks of viruses and malware still pertains. What's the point of providing it then, except to generate revenue?

I guess if we buy the internet package we'll use it--not going to bring a laptop, although we'll both have our tablets and smartphones.

I take my netbook I have my banking info on it & pay my bills online

We can access our VISA, GAS & Hydro accounts online so I know what the balances will be

I get my neighbour who also watches the house to send me the water or tax bill amounts if they come in during our vacations

Other bills go on our CC

I do not use onshore connections when paying the bills but use the ships WiFi

I just feel more secure that way ;)

Have not had any issues doing it that way for several years & cruises

YMMV

Lyn

Regarding concern over paying the correct amount. We did the World Cruise earlier this year and while I did need to check the accounts once in awhile to verify no credit card or other fraud, had no concerns regarding paying the correct amount as all of our accounts are set up to pay the balance due.

That way, no worries about how much the payments were. Then simply had to view our checking account once in awhile to make sure sufficient funds remained for the next month's payments. Put some extra dollars in the checking account before leaving home to avoid overdrafts and everything worked out fine. Using this methodology, no worries about internet fraud when putting in your payments accounts.

Better to make full payments than to pay less than the balance and then have interest payments which for credit cards are absurd in the rate charged. Worked for us and very well.

Archived