What do you consider "reasonable" price for Celebrity cruise?

Smiles3usa

To some extent, each of us decides what we consider a reasonable price per day for a Celebrity cruise. Of course, many factors must be considered; for example a high season cruise (summer, holidays ) will cost more than a low season one. A transatlantic cruise typically costs less than a med cruise; an exotic, e.g., black sea, northern europe, holy land cruise typically cost more than the run of the mill med cruise. And, on average, a 7-day carribean cruise can be had for a more reasonable cost. So, for your cruises, what do you think is reasonable and fair per day cost for the category that you typically book, in the season that you typically cruise and the area in which you usually cruise?

I'll start...we usually cruise med or exotic cruises...12-16 days...in the shoulder season (October/November)I look to find a balcony cabin for $160-$175 pp per day. Since I find planning and anticipating the cruise is part of the fun/excitement, I generally book early and don't get the price drops that occur after final payment has been made.

How about you? What do you think is reasonable per day cost for the areas you typically cruise during the time that you typically cruise on X cruises?

We think you have stated the problem exactly. Too many options, 2,3,4,5,7,10,11,12,14,15... day cruises, all over the world, at anytime of the year. But if you hold us down and punch us... we would say we have cruised the Caribbean the most often. In the Caribbean, we usually go with an inside stateroom (one of us can't seem to sleep with a balcony, can't seem to not get up at night and sit out there in the ocean breeze), and we travel in April and November so... around $ 250 a night total cost for two.(including port and tips) But we will assure you we have paid a lot less and a lot more...too many variables.

For us it can vary, depending on the itinerary and the ship.

If we were on a M-Class ship, we'd prefer and Aft FV cabin or a C1. If we're on an S-Class ship, it would be a S2 or possibly higher Suite (if the price was right).

Everyone has their cruise budget...some high...some lower. What's reasonable to one person, may not be reasonable to another.

There are just too many variables, but for us we normally consider our 'go to' price to be $100pp for a balcony (or less), looking at just the base cruise price.

We then compare perks like OBC or grats to help decide. Sometimes a slightly higher base price is made up through other perks.

This holds true for any cruise line for us. (we've never cruised the really expensive lines, which are a whole different story.)

Usually we cruise for less than that, but we often cruise in off or shoulder seasons and wait for the price we want; price doesn't go down enough, we don't book.

For certain exotic, bucket-list itineraries, we would pay more, of course, like Tahiti, for instance.

For us, it is what we want....not what we can afford. We generally will select a suite. We book early to get the cabin selection we want and am thrilled when and if a perk comes along. Destination is generally Bermuda. We don't like port intensive cruises at any price. We like a bargain but that is not the deciding factor. I find cruising to be as expensive as a 7 day land vacation (good motel, admission fees, food, parking, gas, tolls etc) but it is the "It's a vacation" that we love so much when cruising! That's priceless!

Gary & Vicki:rolleyes:

We seem to choose cruises that don't go down in price. We book early, an inside, and get the best possible price. We cruise high season, yet find the Price is Right. We love land vacations, but keep getting lured back to cruises because of the price.

For example: our next two cruises are fairly sold out. The first one (Adriatic) cost $273.45 per nite per cabin (I just happen to have it next to me because we are going soon!) To compare: we will be spending 10 nights in hotels, 3 & 4 star, with breakfast, and each night will be costing us well over $300.

The winter one is to South America and I think it is quite a bit more, but don't have it handy, but at least the hotels will cost less!

Our cruises have generally been picked for the itinerary, (Such as Panama canal, Antarctica, Canada to China via alaska, etc) and as such have tended to book early to get the early bird price and the cabin we want. All except for one have steadily rose in price and even with the last minute sale prior to cruising they have remained dearer than what we purchased at. Time will tell if the same occurs with our future cruises.:D

Our cruises have generally been picked for the itinerary, (Such as Panama canal, Antarctica, Canada to China via alaska, etc) and as such have tended to book early to get the early bird price and the cabin we want. All except for one have steadily rose in price and even with the last minute sale prior to cruising they have remained dearer than what we purchased at. Time will tell if the same occurs with our future cruises.:D

I fully agree with you - it's easier to grab a deal at bargain prices if you have the shoulder season, an older, not so fashionable ship due to go into dry dock or an itinerary that doesn't sell well at the moment or is one of these "highway routes" in the Med every cruise line uses and where there is much competition.

So we tend to book cruises early that are a bit unusual , for example Antarctica or the Black Sea cruise where we were able to get a reasonable price and great cabins. On the other hand, we look at deals like the Med cruises in late autumn - which is a gamble regarding weather and/ or cabin choice of course. As a result we have paid 2600 $ for a balcony cabin or 900 $ - all of which were 12-14 night cruises.

I fully agree with you - it's easier to grab a deal at bargain prices if you have the shoulder season, an older, not so fashionable ship due to go into dry dock or an itinerary that doesn't sell well at the moment or is one of these "highway routes" in the Med every cruise line uses and where there is much competition.

So we tend to book cruises early that are a bit unusual , for example Antarctica or the Black Sea cruise where we were able to get a reasonable price and great cabins. On the other hand, we look at deals like the Med cruises in late autumn - which is a gamble regarding weather and/ or cabin choice of course. As a result we have paid 2600 $ for a balcony cabin or 900 $ - all of which were 12-14 night cruises.

Yes, there can be a lot of fluctuation of price between one itinerary to the next, but if you want to do a particular cruise that sells out and has huge price rises, there is no other option but to get the early bird savings.:D

Reasonable to me is subjective because if I see a cruise with destinations that interest me then price is not a factor. Like others said I book early and pick a cabin I want and never pay a whole lot to the prices as they usually go higher. Did get an upgrade one time because of prices but it was only once. My two cents for what's it worth.

Sent by magical fairy dust.

We have booked when cruise itinerary first opens and at the last minute as well. Both can yield great prices. However, if we need to fly to a cruise (Europe or SA), it is best to book early enough to be able to grab a decent airfare. Doing this we did a TA last year for the grand price of $ 499/pp for a 16 night cruise booked early, and grabbed a 24 day Med cruise for 899 for Nov. ( last minute). We were already in Europe for that time so needed only to pay a change fee to airline. I am happy if fare is about $100 a day, but am almost ecstatic when snagging these fares.

For us, new places and comfortable settings are important. To cruise to the same place over and over again in an inside cabin would be boring. We cruise to visit places we have never been to before, to experience new things, and always go for a balcony or higher category so we can enjoy the sights even when in our stateroom. We also try every specialty restaurant for the wonderful variety they provide.

If that means fewer cruises, than so be it. We prefer quality to quantity. Instead of looking for the cheapest cruises we can find, we look for the most enriching and rewarding, and don't mind paying for the privilege. We typically book more than a year in advance, and diligently watch for price drops. On average, our rates have been between $110 to $135 per day for a balcony cabin.

Are you asking about the cruise only fare? Or including port charges, drinks, excursions, specialty restaurants, extra tips, shopping, transportation, pre-cruise hotel, expenses pre or post cruise, cabs, meals ashore?

Are you asking about a long Mediterranean cruise, or a 7 night Caribbean, or one around the world?

Do you use laundry services while aboard?

For two of us, a recent last minute 7 night cruise at rock bottom price of $549 pp, with port charges, insurance, tips, pier parking, drinks, and light shopping was about $2500.

Penny

Are you asking about the cruise only fare? Or including port charges, drinks, excursions, specialty restaurants, extra tips, shopping, transportation, pre-cruise hotel, expenses pre or post cruise, cabs, meals ashore?

Are you asking about a long Mediterranean cruise, or a 7 night Caribbean, or one around the world?

Do you use laundry services while aboard?

For two of us, a recent last minute 7 night cruise at rock bottom price of $549 pp, with port charges, insurance, tips, pier parking, drinks, and light shopping was about $2500.

Penny

This is true for us as well, as it usually involves air to get where the cruise leaves, there are many more aspects to the travel than even just the cruise with all included. We have to look at the total holiday package and decide if we do it now or later when we can afford to do it with all the extras. The main advantage of booking a cruise on early bird apart from the price, is it allows 18 months or so to wait and then pick up the flights on a special.:D

I pick the itinerary I want first and then decide what I am willing to pay based on cabin choice. I MUST have a balcony - that is 75% of my cruise experience as I live out there! We are splurging on an S1 corner aft for our next cruise but might be the only time I'd spend the money (Anniv.) and then paid more for the next cruise for an aft through the P.C., a C1. After that - most likely back to a standard balcony. I've never factored out the "daily" cost but for that S1 = $278.50 per person before, taxes, gratuities, etc. :eek: And we booked EARLY! The price has risen dramatically and the S1's are now sold out.

I pick the itinerary I want first and then decide what I am willing to pay based on cabin choice. I MUST have a balcony - that is 75% of my cruise experience as I live out there! We are splurging on an S1 corner aft for our next cruise but might be the only time I'd spend the money (Anniv.) and then paid more for the next cruise for an aft through the P.C., a C1. After that - most likely back to a standard balcony. I've never factored out the "daily" cost but for that S1 = $278.50 per person before, taxes, gratuities, etc. :eek: And we booked EARLY! The price has risen dramatically and the S1's are now sold out.

Sometimes it is not about the money but the experience.:D

We choose a cruise by itinerary and the Caribbean is not an appealing destination for us unless as an add on to another cruise. We usually use $100 per night as a bench mark, and we are prepared to adjust our cabin choice to meet that figure if the itinerary is special. We wanted to cruise South America and took an inside cabin in order to bring that into our price range.

Our upcoming cruises are a Transatlantic in a balcony cabin and a wine cruise. Since we were already going to UK for the TA and also to visit family, when we saw the opportunity of the wine cruise we chose an inside cabin because it was really an unexpected extra. Since we have to fly to take any cruise we try to get maximum value out of our air fare!

Archived