New to oceania, what to expect?

guxu

Thank you all. From the review, seems Oceania has better service and far better food than mainstream cruise lines, which is important for me. It may lack of entertainment and party, which I do not care anyway. So it looks all good. Back to dress code, for man, is blue jeans ok on ship? How about shorts? jean shorts?

Thank you all. From the review, seems Oceania has better service and far better food than mainstream cruise lines, which is important for me. It may lack of entertainment and party, which I do not care anyway. So it looks all good. Back to dress code, for man, is blue jeans ok on ship? How about shorts? jean shorts?

no jeans or shorts in the dining rooms for dinner

daytime they are fine

Dress code is country club casual. No jeans or athletic shoes in Grand Dining Room or Speciality Restaurants, but they are OK in Terraces (buffet) and other more casual venues like Waves. Just wear dockers or khakis or slacks and a shirt with a collar and you will be fine anywhere. I wore Polo shirts and Tommy Bahama shirts every night and never felt out of step. No sports jacket or suit or tux is necessary. Forget the tie. Go nice casual and you will be fine. Ladies do not need gowns or sparkly tops. There are no formal nights. The casual dress and the food and service are what attracts people to Oceania.

Dress code is country club casual. No jeans or athletic shoes in Grand Dining Room or Speciality Restaurants, but they are OK in Terraces (buffet) and other more casual venues like Waves. Just wear dockers or khakis or slacks and a shirt with a collar and you will be fine anywhere. I wore Polo shirts and Tommy Bahama shirts every night and never felt out of step. No sports jacket or suit or tux is necessary. Forget the tie. Go nice casual and you will be fine. Ladies do not need gowns or sparkly tops. There are no formal nights. The casual dress and the food and service are what attracts people to Oceania.

Last year, my husband wore very black jeans with a nice polo shirt not tucked in to the restaurants with black shoes and had no issues. He plans to do the same when we board a week from today. Can't wait!

Last year, my husband wore very black jeans with a nice polo shirt not tucked in to the restaurants with black shoes and had no issues. He plans to do the same when we board a week from today. Can't wait!

As long as they are black and the material isn't too obviously denim, other people probably won't notice; yet I cannot help but think that there are a number of more important issues that your "Rebel could choose as his cause". :cool:

I have to confess that my husband sometimes wears his denim jeans to dinner (although not in the specialty restaurants) and they look VERY nice. No holes, patches, etc. (In fact they look better than his regular slacks, don't tell him I said that though.)

No one has ever said anything.

Yet.

Mura

No one who knows me or my posting history would ever suggest that I like dressing glittery or formal, but jeans of any color are not really appropriate in the evening in the beautiful main dining room or specialty restaurants. Take a look at Oceania's brochures to get an idea of what is considered appropriate and stylish in the evening in those venues.

Here's another thread on this topic that you might find helpful:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1507522

No one who knows me or my posting history would ever suggest that I like dressing glittery or formal, but jeans of any color are not really appropriate in the evening in the beautiful main dining room or specialty restaurants. Take a look at Oceania's brochures to get an idea of what is considered appropriate and stylish in the evening in those venues.

Here's another thread on this topic that you might find helpful:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1507522

Take a look at the folks pictured in the brochures too -- about 20 years younger than the actual demographic! I wouldn't let the brochures be my guide. LOLOL

Take a look at the folks pictured in the brochures too -- about 20 years younger than the actual demographic! I wouldn't let the brochures be my guide. LOLOL

It's even worse than you suspect, Larraine, the models ARE in their early forties, but they are made up to look older......like we do! :eek:

oceania-cruises-regatta-library-580.jpg

That model in the foreground is 43 years of age!

It's even worse than you suspect, Larraine, the models ARE in their early forties, but they are made up to look older......like we do! :eek:

oceania-cruises-regatta-library-580.jpg

That model in the foreground is 43 years of age!

LOL

It is worse

Why pay models?

I know plenty of old people who would pose for free!

Union rules? Or maybe the regular passengers just are not whatever for taking pictures of? Or maybe the regular passengers are camera shy?:D:D

About six months ago there was kerfuffle, here on Cruise Critic, about just that subject.

It turns out that the Passage Contract grants Oceania a license to use our likenesses in conjunction with promotion, if they so choose.

insignia001.jpg I believe that Models are usually used instead because they are more malleable. Although we are supposed to imagine that this photograph depicts a languorous sunset, in order to grab the shot without inconveniencing the"real" passengers, it was probably a sunrise. :p

how do you know this??? LuAnn

We've been on several Cruises where promotional photographs were being taken; on one of those trips the Oceania Executive who was directing the photo shoot invited us to meet the Models in Martini's.

Well, to be fair, I was already there, and he brought them over to say hello ....why do you ask?

Archived