It's Not Freestyle Cruising If You Cannot Wear Shorts In The MDR

sonicbuffalo

Okay, I had no idea Na-zi was a bad word. :o It bleeped me out. :confused: And I'm only adding this here because I don't want people to think I have a potty mouth. I was not cursing.

They block it out because any self respecting Na-zi would be offended when compared to the stuck up elitists in some of these threads.

Bill

They block it out because any self respecting Na-zi would be offended when compared to the stuck up elitists in some of these threads.

Bill

Hi Bill. It is what it is. Free style. We all pay for our ticket

That's not free

I witnessed 2 physical fights.

One in Bistro. One teen and adult

2 parents fighting over their kids in hot tub

I had my Dark &

Stormy. Soaking up the sun

I enjoyed my free style

Freestyle is about doing what you want when you want, not dress code. The midship MDR does allow shorts, as do the specialty restaurants except LeBistro and another one on Breakaway. There are TONS of places you can wear shorts to eat dinner.

AND, formal is 100% optional - so you can wear shorts every single night to all the places that allow shorts in the evenings.

Somebody needs to take a breath and try it before declaring you'll never blah blah blah....

Okay, I had no idea Na-zi was a bad word. :o It bleeped me out. :confused: And I'm only adding this here because I don't want people to think I have a potty mouth. I was not cursing.

Unfortunately, notsey is deadly to some ethnic groups. However, that has nothing to do with the original topic of this thread.

What Should I Pack?

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain.

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day.

Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise.

We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. You may want to pack a sweater too—air conditioning can be chilly.

Since your suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don’t forget an overnight bag for prescriptions and need-to-have items.

Freestyle is about doing what you want when you want, not dress code. The midship MDR does allow shorts, as do the specialty restaurants except LeBistro and another one on Breakaway. There are TONS of places you can wear shorts to eat dinner.

AND, formal is 100% optional - so you can wear shorts every single night to all the places that allow shorts in the evenings.

Somebody needs to take a breath and try it before declaring you'll never blah blah blah....

It is also about dress code, this is what it ways on the "Why NCL" page of their website:

"It's your vacation and you should have the freedom to enjoy it on your terms. Dress up or down. Sleep in or catch a sunrise from your own private balcony. Take in some never-before-seen entertainment at sea. Even eat somewhere different every day of the week."

In any event NCL's dress code isn't onerous.

My favorite ship. Was on in March and will be back on 10/11/14.

Great Outdoors and Observation Lounge Forward.

Il Adagio Italian is very nice ambience.

Hope you like the Sun too.

yes....we'll be on the Sun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

They have one MDR where you can wear shorts, and one MDR where you can't wear shorts. Carnival is now allowing shorts, except on elegant nights. It's becoming common on a few lines. Just go to the more relaxed MDR and enjoy your cruise.

I think NCL offers the choice to satisfy those that want to be really casual as well as those that wish to dress for dinner. Freestyle means giving you more choices to cruise the way you want, it doesn't mean totally casual everywhere on the ship.

You said it best so far Tralynn, thanks!

Possibly the OP got stopped at the door of the Manhattan room?

We do not Dress Up, but we do like to "clean up" when going to a nice dinner in the evenings

You said it best so far Tralynn, thanks!

Possibly the OP got stopped at the door of the Manhattan room?

We do not Dress Up, but we do like to "clean up" when going to a nice dinner in the evenings

Actually, the OP hasn't sailed yet. I believe he just got bad information on dress codes from NCL and was venting.

There are many casual places to eat. Wear your shorts there. I do not know any cruise line that allows shorts in their MDR. Most people want to fine dine and that usually means long pants for men.

Good luck finding one,

No luck needed.....NCL and CCL both allow them in their MDRs on casual nights and in my experience on both lines, most men are now wearing them... Keep up with times.

There are many casual places to eat. Wear your shorts there. I do not know any cruise line that allows shorts in their MDR. Most people want to fine dine and that usually means long pants for men.

Good luck finding one,

As I posted earlier, even Disney is now allowing shorts in their MDRs. So they are even more relaxed than NCL, at least in the MDR, although some of their other venues require trousers, shirt and jacket and even dressy attire for women. Although that is a little much for me, I think it would make more sense to allow the MDR to be a casual family friendly place ( with shorts allowed ) and to keep the long pants requirements for the specialties only.

It baffles me to see how people are so concerned about what OTHER PEOPLE are or aren't doing on their cruises. Everyone enjoys their cruise differently and a lot of people are on vacation, right? Some like dressing up. Some .. no so much (like me!) ....if you don't want to LOOK AT PEOPLE WEARING shorts.. ummm.. TURN AWAY and DON'T LOOK. And to those that act like it won't kill us all to get dressed up. Maybe it will. ;-)

As I posted earlier, even Disney is now allowing shorts in their MDRs. So they are even more relaxed than NCL, at least in the MDR, although some of their other venues require trousers, shirt and jacket and even dressy attire for women. Although that is a little much for me, I think it would make more sense to allow the MDR to be a casual family friendly place ( with shorts allowed ) and to keep the long pants requirements for the specialties only.

So anyone who wants to dress for dinner should have to pay to dine? I think it works just fine now with one of the two main dining rooms being casual. I don't think they both need to be. There are plenty of places to go on the ship to eat if you want a casual experience.

It is also about dress code, this is what it ways on the "Why NCL" page of their website:

"It's your vacation and you should have the freedom to enjoy it on your terms. Dress up or down. Sleep in or catch a sunrise from your own private balcony. Take in some never-before-seen entertainment at sea. Even eat somewhere different every day of the week."

In any event NCL's dress code isn't onerous.

The freestyle part of the dress code originally referred to formal being 100% optional. Dressing down (to shorts) is available at almost all venues.

True - it's only onerous if one considers it laborious to don bottoms that have 18"+ more fabric on each leg.

Thanks for all the info....I had called NCL and the idiot CS Rep told me I could only wear shorts in the buffet....I should have known better!

LOL..Yes, you should have. You know that your best bet for information is right here. :)

There IS a casual family-friendly MDR. And there IS a slightly less casual MDR as well. Both with identical menus (most of the time). This way there is a place for everyone's tastes. What's wrong with that?

Robin

It baffles me to see how people are so concerned about what OTHER PEOPLE are or aren't doing on their cruises. Everyone enjoys their cruise differently and a lot of people are on vacation, right? Some like dressing up. Some .. no so much (like me!) ....if you don't want to LOOK AT PEOPLE WEARING shorts.. ummm.. TURN AWAY and DON'T LOOK. And to those that act like it won't kill us all to get dressed up. Maybe it will. ;-)

You miss the point. What people are wearing isn't the point.

When things regress to wife-beaters and a ball-cap with a swimsuit for dinner, the dinner they will be able to get by with serving won't be fit to eat.

Archived