It's Not Freestyle Cruising If You Cannot Wear Shorts In The MDR

sonicbuffalo

No way is it freestyle cruising if men can't wear a nice pair of shorts in the MDR. After our upcoming cruise we won't be sailing NCL again until they change/relax their policy. Do you have to wear a dress shirt too, or will a collared shirt do?

You clearly have your info wrong. There are only two places/times you can't wear shorts & a t-shirt - Dinner in LeBistro or the aft MDR. All other places and times are fair game. I prefer nicer shorts and a polo at dinner, but it's not required. When I wanted to eat in Tsars on the Jewel (or Manhattan on the Epic) I just put on jeans and a polo.

It's just not freestyle if I can't wear my nightie to dinner, or dine naked in Moderno. :D. But I suppose they have to draw the line somewhere!

Robin

What night will you be doing Moderno? I might have to change my reservation!:D

It's just not freestyle if I can't wear my nightie to dinner, or dine naked in Moderno. :D. But I suppose they have to draw the line somewhere!

Robin

Just don't dine naked at Teppanyaki. Somehow a hot cooking surface and spinning knives sounds like a place for naked-folk to avoid. :p

No shorts in main MDR in the evening or Le Bistro. If you want to wear short in those two dining areas, you can't. I'm with you, if you really need to wear shorts in those two areas that badly (except I don't), I would never sail NCL. Choices. Find that cruise line that does let you do so. No problem. This is an easy one.

No shorts in main MDR in the evening or Le Bistro. If you want to wear short in those two dining areas, you can't. I'm with you, if you really need to wear shorts in those two areas that badly (except I don't), I would never sail NCL. Choices. Find that cruise line that does let you do so. No problem. This is an easy one.

Are there any?

No way is it freestyle cruising if men can't wear a nice pair of shorts in the MDR. After our upcoming cruise we won't be sailing NCL again until they change/relax their policy. Do you have to wear a dress shirt too, or will a collared shirt do?

They do allow shorts in the mid MDR and most specialty restaurants, just not the Aft MDR and Le Bistro. T-shirts were allowed in the more casual restaurants too. Not sure where you got your information.

It's freestyle, not do-whatever-the-heck-you-want. I cannot find a single mainstream cruise line that permits shorts in the MDR during dinner hours.

You can wear shorts in one of the two MDRs. The other requires nice jeans or slacks.

And a polo (or Hawaiian) shirt would be fine.

DISNEY Cruise line: Dining dress requirements vary by venue or theme night on your cruise. In general, most meals are "Cruise Casual"—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops.

Royal Caribbean:

"Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women"

Carnival: "Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats."

Holland America: Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and sports shirt or sweater for men and skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women. Printed T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours.

Norwegian: Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men.

Notice that NCL is the ONLY cruise line that allows shorts in ANY of the dining rooms during the dinner hour. Not even Disney allows them, and they're the most family-friendly line out there.

Carnival allows long shorts, just not basketball shorts, short shorts, or cut-offs.

Thanks for all the info....I had called NCL and the idiot CS Rep told me I could only wear shorts in the buffet....I should have known better!

Thanks so much for coming back in response to the new information. Never trust NCL phone reps - they are the line's biggest weakness IMO.

Thanks for all the info....I had called NCL and the idiot CS Rep told me I could only wear shorts in the buffet....I should have known better!

Yep, if you want info, don't ask a cruise line rep. Many don't know. Always ask for info from the experienced CC cruisers. We can give you the real scoop.

Are there any?

Actually, to all who posted about Disney not allowing shorts in the MDRs, I saw an article in USA Today awhile back dated 8-19 that Disney will begin allowing shorts in the MDRs on all 4 of it's ship's. It was noted that the main website had not been changed, so I don't know if the correct info has been put on the website currently, but you can google the USA Today article.

Interestingly, although they now have a more relaxed MDR code than NCL, their ( I assume ) for fee dining rooms are even more stringent than NCLs. In Palo, for men, shorts are forbidden, jackets optional; for women, dress or pantsuit required. In Remy, for men, no shorts, shirts and jackets required; for women, cocktail dress, pantsuit, or skirt/blouse required.

I do wonder how long it will be before NCl allows them in all venues as well, but for now, I'm not complaining. I think I'll stick with NCL.

That says it all. :D

I'm wondering what this means? I have cruised NCL 5 times so far and am going on Carnival in November. We are again booking NCL for next November. Do you really think different classes sail each ship? Do you think I have more class if I'm sailing NCL and sort of lose it once I step aboard CCL?

My husband and I go on cruises to ports we want to explore. Whether that is NCL, CCL, or any other cruise line we stay the same old farts we always are. LOL I really don't think it matters what line you are on. Some like wearing shorts their whole vacation and some like to dress up a little. We will be dressed formal on both formal nights on CCL but have yet to try it on the NCL dress up or not nights. Please don't assume CCL has nothing but classless folks that sail it. The only ones with no class are the judgmental ones.

We were on the Dawn last week and I was surprised to see at least 2 men wearing shorts in the Venetian MDR. I only noticed it on one night, not the first night either, but we only ate there a couple of times. All things being equal, I'd rather see the shorts than the 50+ guy wearing a new black t-shirt every night - each with a rather suggestive saying - all week, even if he did wear pants.

Being from the northeast, I can't help feeling underdressed if I'm not wearing pants for dinner out. However, I can see the point of those who live in warmer climates that nice dress shorts are acceptable. However, you are more likely to see cargo or jean shorts.

I'm wondering what this means? I have cruised NCL 5 times so far and am going on Carnival in November. We are again booking NCL for next November. Do you really think different classes sail each ship? Do you think I have more class if I'm sailing NCL and sort of lose it once I step aboard CCL?

My husband and I go on cruises to ports we want to explore. Whether that is NCL, CCL, or any other cruise line we stay the same old farts we always are. LOL I really don't think it matters what line you are on. Some like wearing shorts their whole vacation and some like to dress up a little. We will be dressed formal on both formal nights on CCL but have yet to try it on the NCL dress up or not nights. Please don't assume CCL has nothing but classless folks that sail it. The only ones with no class are the judgmental ones.

Chameleon! :p

Archived