Alcohol Confiscated - Caught !!

cruisesusie

Brought the Mini's that were left over from previous cruises (we have Elite set up) in our checked luggage. Brought the two bottles of wine in our carry on. Barcelona , boarding the Royal Princess on 9/27. The security for carry on's was port run. No one checking on how much wine, etc. Probably won't bring any alcohol in checked luggage again. We drink a little, mini bar takes care of that and a purchased drink in Elite lounge is fine with us.

I know that in San Pedro, there is someone that writes down how much wine brought on board and cabin number.

On Alaska cruise we waited until Skagway to purchase wine. We boarded with two bottles of wine . As we went through security check on the ship, noticed a table set up but no one working it.

We all have been very fortunate that Princess had looked the other way for years. It would be nice if we still could bring unlimited wine without a charge, but Princess is in the business to make money and booze a big part of that.

Holland America still was allowing unlimited wine last April. Doesn't make me want to cruise them because of it(realized last April, not our

ideal cruise experience).

I just wanted to report our experience with the new alcohol policy. We packed a bottle of alcohol in our checked bag and our luck finally ran out. Our luggage arrived late with a note stating that the alcohol in our bag was removed and destroyed. They do not return it at the end of the cruise. So I guess they're getting serious about the new alcohol policy.

Susan

If you ever plan to sneak alcohol on a cruise you need to make sure you do it the right way, you can't just pack a bottle in your bag and think you will get through (you may once in a while but not every time)

A regular hard plastic/glass bottle will show up on the x-ray clear as day, rockbottomcruises.com shows what it looks like under x-ray; if you use rum runners the plastic pouch will blend in with the rest of your items in your luggage. There are many other ways as well to get away with it but you need to research how to pack it and what techniques work.

Overall it is worth it if you are a heavy drinker...but if you are only trying to sneak an extra bottle of wine on you mine as well pay the extra $20-40 bucks and buy it on the boat.

Getting ready to go on Coral out of Ft Lauderdale, anyone heard how much are they are checking packed bags. Don't know if I want to go to the naughty room.

The fleet is just now returning to FLL so there aren't any first-hand reports from departing passengers which would reveal what is being done. Based on other reports from U.S. and Canadian departures, it seems as if liquor confiscation is being taken more seriously. First off, if you don't want to go to the naughty room, then your path is clear. Don't break the rules. Second, in all likelihood, you won't go to the naughty room. They can confiscate and discard your contraband and then deliver your bag to your room. The naughtily room is really used more for a place to allow people to claim their property or explain uncertain situations and answer questions. But if they find blatant rules violations, they will discard without the need for you to explain yourself.

You can order all types of alcohol for your room from the gifts and services section, the cost is far cheaper than a liquor store and unless you are distilling your own it is a win win. Last cruise I ordered two bottles, one vodka and one cognac, I did not have to worry about anything breaking or being confiscated. We carried on two bottles of wine and had a chit for the liquor in the room, I gave it to the steward and he brought the bottles of liquor to the room, gave him a tip and I was good to go. Really people, just order from the boat.

What sized bottles of liquor can you get from the Gifts and Services section?

Thank you!

I just wanted to report our experience with the new alcohol policy. We packed a bottle of alcohol in our checked bag and our luck finally ran out. Our luggage arrived late with a note stating that the alcohol in our bag was removed and destroyed. They do not return it at the end of the cruise. So I guess they're getting serious about the new alcohol policy.

Susan

:eek: New Policy! Last December, I returned with a bottle of rum and the security officer said, "Enjoy your alcohol." :p

1 free per voyage per passenger of drinking age. After that, you can still bring more. You just have to pay the nominal fee.

I think not! The Legal definition of Nominal: Trifling, token, or slight; not real or substantial. Fifteen dollars to drink a bottle of wine that I have paid for, in my cabin is not a "Nominal fee". If it was nominal people would not be wasting their time trying to avoid it.

I think not! The Legal definition of Nominal: Trifling, token, or slight; not real or substantial. Fifteen dollars to drink a bottle of wine that I have paid for, in my cabin is not a "Nominal fee". If it was nominal people would not be wasting their time trying to avoid it.

Corkage fees at land-based restaurants typically start at $20 and go up from there. Certainly at nicer restaurants. Since the cruise fleet is heading to FL, let's look there:

Arturo's in Boca Raton: $30

Cafe L'Europe in Palm Beach: $50

Capital Grill in Ft. Lauderdale: $20

Casa D'Angelo in Ft. Lauderdale: $35

Fifth Avenue Grill in Delray Beach: $30

So $15 is definitely below industry average. The term fits.

nom·i·nal

ˈnäminəl

adjective

(of a price or amount of money) very small; far below the real value or cost.

Corkage fees at land-based restaurants typically start at $20 and go up from there. Certainly at nicer restaurants. Since the cruise fleet is heading to FL, let's look there:

Arturo's in Boca Raton: $30

Cafe L'Europe in Palm Beach: $50

Capital Grill in Ft. Lauderdale: $20

Casa D'Angelo in Ft. Lauderdale: $35

Fifth Avenue Grill in Delray Beach: $30

So $15 is definitely below industry average. The term fits.

nom·i·nal

ˈnäminəl

adjective

(of a price or amount of money) very small; far below the real value or cost.

The term does not fit, if you read my post. I pay the corkage fee when I buy wine in the Princess dining rooms or when I bring a bottle to the dining room. I do not mind that.

As I stated, I do resent the same principle being applied to wine that I bring on board to only drink in my cabin. Then it is not a "nominal" fee.

The term does not fit, if you read my post. I pay the corkage fee when I buy wine in the Princess dining rooms or when I bring a bottle to the dining room. I do not mind that.

As I stated, I do resent the same principle being applied to wine that I bring on board to only drink in my cabin. Then it is not a "nominal" fee.

I don't follow. Are you saying that you should be able to bring as much wine as you want for free, provided you drink it only in your room?

Corkage on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean is $25/bottle! :(

The term does not fit, if you read my post. I pay the corkage fee when I buy wine in the Princess dining rooms ...

Perhaps we are operating under different definitions of a corkage fee. The standard use of the term does not apply to wines that you buy in a dining room. :confused: If you buy the wine, then you pay a purchase price plus gratuity, with no additional fee added. If you bring your own wine, then you are charged a corkage fee so that the establishment can recoup lost revenue. The same applies to wines consumed in your cabin. If you buy wine from Princess and have it delivered to your room, you pay the purchase price (plus gratuity) and no further charge is added. If you bring your own wine to drink in your cabin, a corkage fee is charges so that the cruise line can recoup lost revenue. But never, ever, is a corkage fee charged to you when you "buy wine in the Princess dining rooms."

Corkage on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean is $25/bottle! :(

Proving yet again that the fee on Princess is nominal.

I'll concede that a $15 fee for a bottle of Fetzer is not "nominal", as that is twice the price of the bottle itself. But if one is bringing on aged and/or high end wines that cannot be sourced from the ship's cellar, then $15 is a very welcomed fee considering the alternatives (e.g., not allowing personal wines at all, or, as noted above, $25 corkage fees).

Edited by JimmyVWine

Proving yet again that the fee on Princess is nominal.

I'll concede that a $15 fee for a bottle of Fetzer is not "nominal", as that is twice the price of the bottle itself. But if one is bringing on aged and/or high end wines that cannot be sourced from the ship's cellar, then $15 is a very welcomed fee considering the alternatives (e.g., not allowing personal wines at all, or, as noted above, $25 corkage fees).

Jimmy

The $15 isn't even bad for some less expensive wines.

There are a couple of wines we enjoyed on the ship that were sold in the $40 -$50 range. We didn't think that was too bad - until we got home and found they were less than $20/bottle in our local wine store! :(

$20 + $15 = $35 NOT $48. (+15% gratuity)

That's only $13 /bottle so may not be worth taking up space in the luggage but any way you look at it the $15 just isn't unfair!

And for nicer wines that the ship probably doesn't have anyways it's a bargain!

Oh and BTW, Celebrity not only charges that $25 corkage but 2 bottles is your limit. You can't bring ANYTHING beyond that, making it really expensive for anyone that wants higher end wines!

Edited by chamima

Jimmy

The $15 isn't even bad for some less expensive wines.

There are a couple of wines we enjoyed on the ship that were sold in the $40 -$50 range. We didn't think that was too bad - until we got home and found they were less than $20/bottle in our local wine store! :(

$20 + $15 = $35 NOT $48. (+15% gratuity)

That's only $13 /bottle so may not be worth taking up space in the luggage but any way you look at it the $15 just isn't unfair!

And for nicer wines that the ship probably doesn't have anyways it's a bargain!

True enough. The $15 corkage fee can be a win-win at several price points. Yet some people continue to look the gift horse in the mouth. Given that few mass-market cruise lines allow unlimited personal wines at all, I can never understand those who complain about adding on a $15 corkage fee given what the cruise line standard is, and what the land-based standard is. $40 is the new $20 in most places these days. $15? I'll take it every day!

Edited by JimmyVWine

I do realize that you can order liquor for your stateroom prior to the cruise, but a "pint" instead of a larger amount (even .750 would be an improvement) is all you can order. Wow Princess. I think it is all about the $$$.

Not sure about Princess as I have not sailed them yet, but I have ordered bottles of Rum on RCCL, NCL and CCL and have always gotten a 1 liter bottle, not a pint. The cost is about 1 1/2 times more than I can buy a bottle for at a local liquor store. Bacardi liter is about $50 - 60 on the ship. High but still a lot cheaper than individual drinks and I can mix them how I want them. I usually bring a large insulated mug and make them in the room and carry the mug to the pool, etc.

Up until this year we have always brought on our own wine, one bottle/night, that we enjoyed on our balcony. We have never taken it out of our cabin but then that is our choice. Last month we boarded in San Francisco and carried on our wine. Security saw them and directed us to a table. We were charged $15/bottle over the two free ones and we signed a ship charge for them. We also had RR in our checked luggage which once again arrived safe and sound.

Interesting part though was in Aruba. As per my custom, I checked the liquor prices in the port duty free store and to my surprise they had my favorite gin at substantially less than I pay here or that the ship offered. Unable to resist I bought a bottle (we were flying home) and took it onboard. It was in a paper sack as bagged by the shop and very noticeable. I put it on the belt. Nothing was said by anyone and there was no liquor table set up. I took it to my cabin and could have opened it but did not.

It would appear that enforcement of Princess byo alcohol policy is dependent on the ship and its security officers. Certainly reading these posts it is not consistent but more strict enforcement is building. Them's the rules on Princess, I will comply Sheriff.

BTW, many restaurants in Australia permit you to bring your wine. Some charge $3 per bottle, some $10. In the regional areas, normally the lower amount, sometimes no corkage, I like that.

I have said it before but if Princess (and the other lines) reduced their wine bottle prices and were not so greedy with their mark ups, pax would purchase more on board and not be as cagey as finding ways to bring it on board. I mean to say, some bottles say of Aussie Wolf Blass you can buy here for $10 in the supermarket or even $15 at my golf club, you pay $40 for on Princess, blatant over pricing in my opinion. Booze is a cash cow for the cruiselines.

Edited by NSWP