2-3 night stay in London

DonnaGeoff

• 4 weeks later...

We to are going to London for a British Isles cruise next August for our 40th anniversary. We also are going to stay in London for 3 days prior to. I have booked with Marriott County Hall. Wanted to be down by the River. Enjoy our cruise and 40th anniversary.

Wherever you stay in London, don't forget that the River Thames is also a major transport route. For example, if you are staying near Westminster, the fastest way to get to the Tower of London, would be by tube. The nicest, most interesting way, would be on a river boat. The same would apply in reverse.

When we are in London we always use The Cavendish Hotel.- It's not cheap but very good and in the middle of the West End next to Fortnum and Mason.

http://www.thecavendish-london.co.uk/

Edited by Bob++

Starting to make plans for our 40th Anniversary, Celebrity, Infinity 10 day cruise around the British Isles for next June. Will be flying into London for a couple of days before the cruise. Any suggestions on a nice place to stay in a "touristy" area? (Big Ben, Parliament etc.) Not looking for B&B. Not looking for Holiday Inn budget hotel. Also NOT looking for a place that's too too expensive. Even suggestions on which part of London to stay in will be helpful. I expect that we will do a little walking, a little taxiing, and maybe even a private tour or two of a few major tourist historical/cultural spots over those two days. Priceline, Hotwire,TripAdvisor, etc all have sooooo many listings that it's a little overwhelming. Fortunately, we are starting our research 9 months in advance!!! Thanks so much, Geoff and Donna.

Hi . . we will be in London for 3 nights in August 2014. We booked the Grange Rochester. It has decent reviews and was fairly reasonable . . especially if you book directly with them. There is quite a variance of opinions in the review, but I like the atmosphere it seems to offer. The only problem will be if it is very hot during the time we will be there because they only have a few rooms that are air conditioned. Seems to be common in a lot of the hotels . . . except probably new hotels. Just keep checking out all the suggestions and take your best shot. Good luck.

This hotel worked wonderfully for us as we used the tube on one side and the train station for travelling to Kent on the other. we didn't take the breakfast pkg as there were cafes all around. great place and I would definitely return

• 2 weeks later...

We took that cruise in August and stayed at the Rubens Hotel. It is across from Buckingham Palace and is easy access to Victoria Station where you can get anywhere. The service at the Rubens is wonderful. We were able to book a Royal Room online at a great price. If you look online and watch for deals you can get some really good deals. We had booked at a smaller hotel early and then watched as we got closer to see what was available.

Starting to make plans for our 40th Anniversary, Celebrity, Infinity 10 day cruise around the British Isles for next June. Will be flying into London for a couple of days before the cruise. Any suggestions on a nice place to stay in a "touristy" area? (Big Ben, Parliament etc.) Not looking for B&B. Not looking for Holiday Inn budget hotel. Also NOT looking for a place that's too too expensive. Even suggestions on which part of London to stay in will be helpful. I expect that we will do a little walking, a little taxiing, and maybe even a private tour or two of a few major tourist historical/cultural spots over those two days. Priceline, Hotwire,TripAdvisor, etc all have sooooo many listings that it's a little overwhelming. Fortunately, we are starting our research 9 months in advance!!! Thanks so much, Geoff and Donna.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have an 8 night stay planned pre Baltic cruise in May. We have booked the park Plaza Westminster bridge as we like the look of the hotel and it seemed convenient. After pre cruise stays in Paris and Rome last year, where we paid almost $300 US for king bedded rooms where we could barely negotiate around the bed and were only able to open our suitcases on the floor and takeout each days' outfit, we are looking forward to a 2 room mini suite for about the same price in London, one of the most expensive cities in the world. I do have some mobility challenges, so I hope that the hotel is near enough to bus transport and that I can use my rollator rTher than a scooter to get around.

We have an 8 night stay planned pre Baltic cruise in May. We have booked the park Plaza Westminster bridge as we like the look of the hotel and it seemed convenient. After pre cruise stays in Paris and Rome last year, where we paid almost $300 US for king bedded rooms where we could barely negotiate around the bed and were only able to open our suitcases on the floor and takeout each days' outfit, we are looking forward to a 2 room mini suite for about the same price in London, one of the most expensive cities in the world. I do have some mobility challenges, so I hope that the hotel is near enough to bus transport and that I can use my rollator rTher than a scooter to get around.

Cheers! Perhaps some of the locals can give more complete information. I am not sure what your definition of near enough is but the bus stop is maybe a few blocks from the hotel. The hotel itself is huge. It is a very nice hotel with a good location. I would say it is about halfway between the Waterloo and Westminster tube stations. It can be very crowded in the immediate area around the bridge and London Eye.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Looking at Google Earth, there appears to be a bus stop about 50-70yds up the road from the Main Entrance outside a shop called 'AP Food' on Westminster Bridge Road.

Cheers! Perhaps some of the locals can give more complete information. I am not sure what your definition of near enough is but the bus stop is maybe a few blocks from the hotel. <snip>

Us locals can help with bus stops, routes etc. (as can Google Earth, http://www.tfl.gov.uk etc.)

Just to point out to any readers, as a Londoner, I cannot say a thing about London hotels per se - we never stay in them as we have a grossly overpriced flat in London to stay in! :rolleyes:

Ask me about the Tube - I use that every day...

Edited by SteveH2508

We had 2 rooms at the Premier Inn Victoria in June. A double room for DH and I and our son and family.had a family room that was absolutely immense. This was our 5th trip to London but the first for our son and family. The Victoria area is my favorite area in London and I have been there a lot. The breakfast was included and it was a very good breakfast. You just can't beat the area for convenience to everything including transportation. I don't remember exactly the cost but I got a great rate on http://www.booking.com I travel to Europe every year and always book my hotels on booking dot com.

• 3 weeks later...

You are very close to the Tower of London and Tower Bridge. Just remember that The City is, as you say, a business area. Not too much going on at night and dead on weekends. But during the day on weekdays, it's packed with people.

Rooms look nice, though. Seem modern and more like a typical US full service business class hotel instead of a small local hotel. So, if that's your sort of thing (and I totally understand why it would be) it might be a fine location for a short stay. You have convenient access to a tube stations that are on the Circle and District lines.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We will be staying two days pre-cruise and an addtl two days post-cruise. We are flying in from Miami, and arriving at LTR on June 11th and will spend 2 nights at Quality Hotel - Maida Vale in the general Paddinton area (which we bid on via Priceline) at $160US including taxes per night.We debark cruise on June 23rd and will stay 2 nights at Seraphine, Kensington Olympia (which we also got on Priceline without bidding) also at $160US per night.

We have already purchased transfers to and from port (Silver-Fleet at $115 pounds each round trip)and now are working on figuring out how to get to and from Heathrow. It looks like we will use the Heathrow Express.

We are still working on whether to try a HOHO or just stick to Travel Pass transportation. Also still not sure what Oyster card does for you. (More studying to be done)

Also need to come up with "Attractions itinerary" for those 4 days, bearing in mind our two different hotel locales.

Any further advice? Thank you all so much for your comments to date.

Geoff and Donna -------------- Less than 4 months!!!!!

Congratulations! You will love London

Transportation: a private car hire is similar in price to 2 Heathrow express tickets. We used justairports dot com It s a very welcome site to exit the arrivals hall and find a driver holding a piece of paper with your name on it.

Attractions: that really depends on what u want to do. The Tower of London is really a must see. Buckingham Palace of course.

This is what we did last year, just some of what we considered highlights. Yours may be different.

I would say this was moderately busy but not crazy.

Day 1: HOHO with original tours. Got a walking tour with a guide to Buckingham Palace nighttime: London Dinner cruise(fabulous)

Day 2: Royal Day Out: tours Queen's Gallery, Royal Mews and Buckingham Palace ( tours of the palace itself are not currently available in June) nighttime: London Eye

Day 3;British Museum, night time: " Ceremony of the Keys" at the Tower of London.

Day 4: Tower of London, Thames River cruise.

Check out London Pass dot com, not necessarily buy one but read some of the descriptions. Rick Steves book very helpful as well.

Have fun planning.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app