Passport Question

FunintheSunPa

Was wondering if you NEED a passport to cruise ? I'm going on Pride out of Baltimore so it is leaving and arriving back to the same port... I am just nervous something is going to go wrong !! I know it is best to have one BUT I don't and if not needed i'm happy with not getting one. If I don't need one what would I need ?? Drivers license and Birth Certificate ?? Can it be copies of Birth Certificate ?? And if I can get onboard without passport , can I get off at the the different ports without it ?

As been posted many, many times, if you are leaving and returning to the same US port you don't NEED a passport. "However", if you have an emergency and have to fly back to the US, you'll need a passport to fly. This is under the assumption that you're a US citizen. There are many people who post on here who cruise with just a certified birth certificate (with a raised seal) not a hospital generated birth certificate, and a driver's license, on closed loop cruises.

I, personally, won't travel without my passport.

If you're concerned about it, then why not pay the extra $165 to get a passport and know that you are secure. You have plenty of time till February, you've paid for cruise, just get yourself a passport and don't stress over it's not worth it.

Jonathan

The issue is that should you need to fly home from one of the ports outside the USA you can't without a Passport.

You might want to just consider getting a passport if you know this is the start of other travel outside the USA you will be doing.

Keith

I took the Pride in October and presented my driver's license and a copy of my birth certificate and experienced no delays or problems. I do recommend bringing the original birth certificate but a copy will do in a pinch. If you do have to leave the ship early and you don't have a passport then as stated you can't just fly home. You will need to get in touch with the Consulate but the State Department does have the authority to waive the passport requirements for emergency or humanitarian reasons.

A copy of your birth certificate WILL NOT DO! It MUST have a raised seal and you can't have a raised seal on a copy. You will not be able to get on the ship if you don't have this!

As has been said, get a passport! They are good for 10 years so you'll have it for all the cruises you take in 10 years! And if you decide to visit Canada, Mexico or any other country, you'll be able to.

Raised seals on certified copies have gone the way of corded kitchen phones; they are still usable but practically nobody issues them any more. It is NOT the raised seal, but the certified copy you are looking for. Nowadays the certification is usually watermarked paper or a hologram; a few raised seals still exist in small courthouse clerk offices.

The law governing the use of birth certificates for cruises does not specify certified copy (it just says copy) BUT many cruiseline policies do require certified copies. If you want to challenge the system, take just a photocopy, but be aware that you have no legal 'right' involved here.

In this day and age, we would not consider leaving the country without a passport.

There are many here who will tell you that you don't need ...... you don't need it, until you need it.

Don't have an accident or emergency or illness or anything that requires you fly, you will need a passport.

They are good for ten years and when you amortize over that period, it's a small investment for someone who plans to do any out of country travel.

If I was reluctant to get a passport, I would be reluctant to travel internationally. A personal decision for sure but seems responsible and sensible approach, IMO

Seeing you asked and seem nervous, follow your gut instinct.

Best Wishes and happy sailing. :)

A copy of your birth certificate WILL NOT DO! It MUST have a raised seal and you can't have a raised seal on a copy. You will not be able to get on the ship if you don't have this!

Be calm and listen to cherylandtk. Forget about the word "copy" in this context, it leads only to misunderstandings. If your birth certificate meets passport standards, you are good to go. The State Dept describes a birth certificate acceptable for proving citizenship thus:

"*A certified birth certificate has a registrar's raised, embossed, impressed OR multicolored seal, registrar's signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which must be within 1 year of your birth. Please note, some short (abstract) versions of birth certificates may not be acceptable for passport purposes. Beginning April 1, 2011, all birth certificates must also include the full names of the applicant's parent(s)."

Granted, there is anecdotal evidence of cruise lines accepting birth certificates that are "less than" passport standard, but I would not recommend relying on those reports.

Raised seals on certified copies have gone the way of corded kitchen phones; they are still usable but practically nobody issues them any more. It is NOT the raised seal, but the certified copy you are looking for. Nowadays the certification is usually watermarked paper or a hologram; a few raised seals still exist in small courthouse clerk offices.

Just as an FYI, it's my understanding that passport offices are among the services affected by the government shutdown, so this could cause delays for anyone seeking to get a new passport or a renewal.

Someone on another forum refers to the "Mr. Ed" method of research. In other words, go right to the source.

From the US State Dept website:

In the event of a lapse in appropriations, the Department of State will continue passport and visa operations as well as provide critical services to U.S. citizens overseas.

• Processing time for passport applications remain at four weeks or less for routine service and two weeks door-to-door for expedited service.
  • Customers planning to travel within two weeks or requiring passports to obtain foreign visas should make an appointment at the nearest passport agency.

I do have a personal stake in this as my passport is in the process of getting additional pages added. Nothing for me to do now but be optimistic that I'll get it back before I need it at the end of the month.

The issue is that should you need to fly home from one of the ports outside the USA you can't without a Passport.

You might want to just consider getting a passport if you know this is the start of other travel outside the USA you will be doing.

Keith

It's a pain in the *** to drive across the border without one, too.

Archived