Holland America Wine Policy -

MR NW GUY

Will Holland's new wine policy have any effect on you next cruise selection?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Will Holland's new wine policy have any effect on you next cruise selection?

I voted no. One time we brought on two bottles of wine at embarkation; we carried 1.5 bottles off the ship at the end of the cruise! I haven't bothered to carry on since (with the exception of a bottle of plunk purchased on Corfu this past spring).

I haven't posted to any of the other wine threads but agree that HAL dropped the ball on the way it was implemented, and then delayed. Basically, I agree 100% with RuthC. The way this was done makes HAL look idiotic.

A lot of us have debated Holland America's new wine policy.

How about a very simple poll?

Will the new wine policy have any effect on if you will book your next cruise on Holland America?

Any and all comments are welcome, but please take the poll just one time.

CHEERS!

I had to look back at the first post re: the wine question which I will vote on.

Noticed that you're doing the Canal in April. Sure wish you could join us on the March 30 sailing out of San Diego on the Veendam! This cruise has several incentives.

Now to read some of the opinions here. We do not bring wine on board but even if we did I would still book with HAL for our trips together. When with the kids we do the NCL or RCCL ships. Are you still boycotting NCL? Just wondering.

Dave

I never really assumed that a majority were upset about HAL's proposed policy change. I have to say I am actually surprised that the numbers are as high as they are on the poll.

If I were in management at HAL, this would give me pause. Alas, I am not.

I think I would be seriously concerned if 40% of my most loyal existing customer base was going to move on because of a policy change I had made for my business.

I would be, too, and think it true of most businesses.

But I am not convinced that HAL wants to maintain its existing customer base. I think they want that group gone, to make way for an entirely new group. The change to the wine policy is just one piece of the plan.

The thread you are referring to was the `Petition to change HAL wine policy`. Poster Starwin suggested to you that if you disagree with the petition, no need commenting, just walk on by. (I paraphrase)

No, there was another thread (I looked for it yesterday but couldn't find it) that I think was started by the poster on this thread who's making the most negative comments about the poll. That thread asked people who had negative comments to post them once on a thread and then move along.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Only voting on this because a FB friend asked. We only cruise RCCL and they only recently started allowing 2 bottles of wine per cabin at no charge. We have stuck with them and will continue to do so, wine or no wine.

I don't understand why some people are so upset about the poll. It isn't mandatory. If you don't like the way it was written, don't vote. If the OP was just putting it up out of curiosity, so what, he's curious. Nothing wrong with that. I think the wine drinkers are being rather defensive and a little too sensitive. You sound like smokers!!!:p

Not all wine drinkers are upset. It doesn't make any difference to me. I agree with your assessment on people getting upset. Seems ok the get upset if you are opposed but just keep quiet if you are not.

I think I would be seriously concerned if 40% of my most loyal existing customer base was going to move on because of a policy change I had made for my business. Companies, however, do some really dumb stuff when they are worried about money, so the final outcome remains to be seen.

Many people talk the talk but very few walk the walk. I try not to let my mouth write a cheque that I'm not willing to cash. When the smoking changes for staterooms happened a few years back many posters on here said they would leave. There has only been one that has. I have a lot of respect for people that follow through on what they say they will do because it's pretty rare.

I had to look back at the first post re: the wine question which I will vote on.

Noticed that you're doing the Canal in April. Sure wish you could join us on the March 30 sailing out of San Diego on the Veendam! This cruise has several incentives.

Now to read some of the opinions here. We do not bring wine on board but even if we did I would still book with HAL for our trips together. When with the kids we do the NCL or RCCL ships. Are you still boycotting NCL? Just wondering.

Dave

Hey Dave,

Thanks for joining in! I wish my schedule was flexible enough to sail with you!

Many people talk the talk but very few walk the walk. I try not to let my mouth write a cheque that I'm not willing to cash. When the smoking changes for staterooms happened a few years back many posters on here said they would leave. There has only been one that has. I have a lot of respect for people that follow through on what they say they will do because it's pretty rare.

Really? Only one? :)

and saw their wine prices posted on forum. They are so much fairer than HAL's pricing. Maybe due to their stricter policy that HAL is now implementing, the prices will go down for wine bought on board. We can only hope.

That would be a very cool out come for everyone who actually purchases wine on board! And, HAL wins too.

The only folks that probably would not like that is those that only bring their own wine on at no charge and only consume it their room and or hand carry a glass from the room to shows, dinning etc to avoid paying for the wine or a corkage fee.

Perhaps my previous comment is very very small vocal group??

I am reading a lot of new perspectives!

Thanks for taking the time to vote and share your thoughts.

38% Yes

62% NO

Rounding to the nearest whole number

The margin of "no's" is expanding this morning.

As Alamogirl indicated in her post, any number of people who never sail on HAL at all, could vote. If they were to be honest, their vote, of necessity, would have to be "no", thereby skewing the results out of all proportion.

As Alamogirl indicated in her post, any number of people who never sail on HAL at all, could vote. If they were to be honest, their vote, of necessity, would have to be "no", thereby skewing the results out of all proportion.

Oh I see.... Only certain votes count now and you have the ability to judge their honesty or question their honesty?

I am not sure how they would skew the results either.

The question might bigger than just HAL CC posters who really only make up a small portion of the guests on any sailing. (based on the number of people at M&G)

CHEERS!

And thanks for sharing your thoughts. Everyone is welcome to have an opinion.

and saw their wine prices posted on forum. They are so much fairer than HAL's pricing. Maybe due to their stricter policy that HAL is now implementing, the prices will go down for wine bought on board. We can only hope.

Good to know SeaBands. We are looking at Princess as well. I've been lurking at their board. Princess's wine list did indeed look more varied and much more reasonable. Plus, their corkage policy seems very logical, very win-win.

I voted no.

HAL as a business is interested in maximizing revenue. They want customers who will spend on board - spas, shore excursions, alcohol, art auctions etc. Experienced cruisers don't tend to spend much on board. It's in HAL's best interest to appeal to new cruisers who do spend more.

I voted no.

HAL as a business is interested in maximizing revenue. They want customers who will spend on board - spas, shore excursions, alcohol, art auctions etc. Experienced cruisers don't tend to spend much on board. It's in HAL's best interest to appeal to new cruisers who do spend more.

Hello Boulders!

Thanks for posting and voting.

The concept of profit be an acceptable motive makes a lot of sense to me.

If HAL fails to make a profit... we all loose.

CHEERS!

Definitely more than one. Look back at old smoking threads and most of those posters have moved on.

If this poll was about smoking, I'm one of those who has put my money where my mouth is:) There are other lines who welcome smokers and I'm sure it's the same for wine drinkers. Make mine red, please.

I'm surprised to see the Yes percentage running so high.

I'm not a bit surprised..

I voted no....I totally agree with Sapper1's statement.

I sympathize with those to whom bringing on wine is important. I especially sympathize with those that wish to bring a few bottles of wine on the ship in foreign ports.

I also agree with both Sapper 1 & you...I voted No, only because we are not wine connoisseurs & do purchase HALs wine..

However, I do believe that HAL has made an arbitrary & foolish decision..To lose even 15% of their Psgrs is not going to help their bottom line..

IMO they would eliminate people smuggling wine on board, if they permitted more bottles of wine to be brought on & charge a corkage fee..

Betty

Archived