Holland America Wine Policy -

MR NW GUY

Will Holland's new wine policy have any effect on you next cruise selection?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Will Holland's new wine policy have any effect on you next cruise selection?

We've already booked our next cruise ... and it's not HAL ... but the wine policy had nothing to do with it. It won't affect our next choice either.

We have sometimes brought wine on at foreign ports, and it would be unfortunate to not be able to do that anymore (if the forthcoming policy isn't altered) but it won't change our reasons for selecting a cruise.

I don't think it's a matter of understanding how to vote. I think that's pretty simple. I think folks can't see it. I wonder if it's a matter of having signatures off or "something" like that. I know I've gotten rude remarks when I haven't been able to see something so I'm not going to assume just because I can see it everyone can.

I guess I better stop posting on this thread so I don't win the prize for most posts:D.

Okay, maybe this will help. I just found a poll started elsewhere and here is what I see.

When you look at this poll, go to post #1.

Then scroll up above the #1 posting and you will see the area to vote.

I hope this helps clarify.

Cheers!

I voted yes. This year I will have 45 days on HAL ships, including 14 days on the Prinsendam. The wine policy sets HAL apart from other comparable cruise lines. I currently have only one HAL cruise scheduled for next year...when normally by this time I would have at least three. If the proposed wine policy remains the same AND the wine list does not improve (better wines, decent mark-ups) I'll be looking at Princess or Celebrity instead.

I voted "no" because wine is not important enough to me to affect my choice of cruise line.

However, I fully support the position of those who are upset because wine is important to them. You did not include this group of cruisers with a third option in your poll so the results will not be totally accurate.

Since there was no third option in the poll,let me offer another vote here.

No, but---------

I voted no....I totally agree with Sapper1's statement.

I sympathize with those to whom bringing on wine is important. I especially sympathize with those that wish to bring a few bottles of wine on the ship in foreign ports.

Please see posting #1.

Maybe someone else can elaborate and answer Startwin's question?

Why? You're the person who started the poll, only you know your intentions. You don't have a PA on this board as far as I know.

No it will not stop me from sailing on HAL. I look at the cruise itself, itinerary, price, ship, time of year.

The poll did not show up for me.

go to post #1

Scroll up and the poll is prior my #1 posting.

Thanks

I saw the purpose at what I thought was face value, the new wine policy does or does not impact your booking decision. I think that's a valid question with a simple yes or no answer. I'll reiterate that we'd already started exploring other lines due to dissatisfaction with HAL so the change in wine policy had virtually no impact other than to confirm we'd already made the right decision.

I saw the purpose at what I thought was face value, the new wine policy does or does not impact your booking decision. I think that's a valid question with a simple yes or no answer. I'll reiterate that we'd already started exploring other lines due to dissatisfaction with HAL so the change in wine policy had virtually no impact other than to confirm we'd already made the right decision.

Randy -

That about sums it up...

Thanks!

I voted Yes. Also need to add that my vote does not mean I won't be sailing HAL anymore. It only means that I will be looking harder at other cruiselines. Now, if itinerary and price are equal, I won't put HAL first like I have in the past. Their choice to do this evens the playing field IMO.

I voted Yes. Also need to add that my vote does not mean I won't be sailing HAL anymore. It only means that I will be looking harder at other cruiselines. Now, if itinerary and price are equal, I won't put HAL first like I have in the past. Their choice to do this evens the playing field IMO.

Great Posting! Thanks for sharing...

OK - I really have to go now, but I look forward to seeing the voting updates later today.

CHEERS!

Startwin I think he just wants to see how everyone really feels. We have heard from the most vocal cruisers. It is always that way. The people most affected make the most noise. I think the voting shows some people do indeed care but the majority don't really care. You can still buy fine wines in port, you just have to wait until you are back home to drink it. I don't drink, I don't care. I care more about the cutbacks in staff, especially in the MDR. To see the servers running around and not getting the service I used to get is more of a concern for me then wine. To each their own.

We don't cruise for wine alone. Our last cruise on HAL was 4 years ago, going again in April. We cruise Princess, Celebrity, HAL, Cunard, and NCL.

If I was going to cruise relative to wine policy would cruise Cunard or NCL.

We are booked on HAL for April 2014, Celebrity October 2014 and Princess for April 2015. Waiting for itineraries to open up for fall 2015 want to do NCL out of Boston... so HAL's wine policy is not going to have much effect on our cruise choices. After that plan to book Princess for Hawaii and the Panama Canal. HAL new policy does not give me any reason to book with them over another line. So from that stand point they have lost their edge.

At present all lines seem to be tighter on wine/alcohol... I think it is a phase all the lines are going through.

Exactly!!! voted yes (no surprise there). Change in wine policy has made us look hard at the 'luxury' cruise lines as well;)

Sorry, I still see no point, I would like to hear from MR NW GUY what he is planning to do with these poll results.

And yes, sapper1, I get that.:rolleyes:

Just a suspicion of course, but I suspect that there was a suspicion that only a very few cared. If those that have already decided to walk (and have so posted) see this thread and vote - the results could be very surprising;)

Well, I still see no sense in this poll because it's just to satisfy NW's curiosity on how a very few people might vote. No value. However, I voted yes, but it's not strictly true. I was too far committed for it to affect my next cruise, but it certainly is making me re-think future cruise plans.

Well, I still see no sense in this poll because it's just to satisfy NW's curiosity on how a very few people might vote. No value. However, I voted yes, but it's not strictly true. I was too far committed for it to affect my next cruise, but it certainly is making me re-think future cruise plans.

I voted "yes" as well, because the change in wine policy is one more erosion of what (for us) sets HAL apart.

The point (JMHO) is -- this is a public poll, so user names can be viewed. I think the OP wants to know exactly which posters on the HAL CC board are opposed to the new policy. Of course, that is my opinion only. Why he wants to know is anyone's guess, but I doubt it is to invite us to any kind of soiree :D

edited for clarity

Archived