Last voyage before drydock

pbfp2008

My wife and I have booked the last voyage of the Pride before it goes into dry dock in October of '14. After booking, we both got to thinking, will there be a drop off in services or a noticeable difference in food/entertainment on this cruise? (No jokes about Carnival's lack of service, good food or entertainment please...) Has anyone had the experience of being on a ships last intinerary before heading for dry dock? Hope we are worrying for nothing...TIA

My wife and I have booked the last voyage of the Pride before it goes into dry dock in October of '14. After booking, we both got to thinking, will there be a drop off in services or a noticeable difference in food/entertainment on this cruise? (No jokes about Carnival's lack of service, good food or entertainment please...) Has anyone had the experience of being on a ships last intinerary before heading for dry dock? Hope we are worrying for nothing...TIA

I have never been on a pre drydock cruise but I don't think there will be a "drop in service/entertainment", one thing you might see are contractors etc. doing work on board but thats about it.

I was on the Inspiration before it went into dry dock. As this was my first cruise, I was giddy with excitement. I had a blast on that cruise. I couldn't tell the difference if the food or entertainment was bad, as I had nothing to compare it to. IMO everything was great. I didn't see any contractors on board taking down things or any area roped off.

We did however get lots of 'freebies' when we went to the shore excursions forum in the theater. Tshirts, hats, caps, etc etc.

There have been a few reviews here about exactly this.

Most of them say crew is already beginning dry dock and some areas and services aren't available. Sorry, it'll still be a good time.

Thanks, this is one of my concerns, that the crew is already mentally "checking out." I guess it will be what it will be....

• 2 weeks later...

Not personally, but I've read many stories of things just left because they are going into drydock.

I got stuck on a ship coming out of drydock. They didn't finish, so the work continued on our cruise. It wasn't pretty, and certain areas weren't accessible, including one pool.

We did the Imagination in Sept before dry dock and everything was awesome :)

I was aboard Miracle on her last voyage before drydock and had no issues. Entertainment, service, cuisine, and all passenger areas I visited were normal. They did run out of some wine that was part of the wine packages, but what was substituted were better quality wines than what were in the package. No work was being done any where that I saw.

I did the Behind the Scenes tour which was held on the final sea day. We did see some of the preparations that were being done below decks for the dry dock and saw several storerooms that were near empty. All of this added to the interest of the tour.

I was concerned prior to the voyage, not knowing when I booked it that it was just before drydock. Turned out to be a non-concern for my traveling companion and me.

I have seen stories here over the years about areas of the ship off limits during last voyage due to construction started and crew members mentally checked out.

Also stories that work not finished during drydock and workers doing stuff during first voyage and passengers being kept away for safety reasons.

Therefore do not see why I would book a cruise the last week before or first week after if we had alternatives.

We did however get lots of 'freebies' when we went to the shore excursions forum in the theater. Tshirts, hats, caps, etc etc.

That is exactly what I want to know! THANKS. Were these goodies tossed or handed out? We like to sit upstairs and when they throw things we are always out of luck.

We were the 2nd to last sailing on the Glory last year before the drydock. The souvenirs in the shop were bare, didnt have anything for the islands we were going to (Bahamas) just left over stuff from the Canada cruises. Staff was so-so and there did seem to be a lack of over all service- i wouldnt do another

• 2 weeks later...
I was aboard Miracle on her last voyage before drydock and had no issues. Entertainment, service, cuisine, and all passenger areas I visited were normal. They did run out of some wine that was part of the wine packages, but what was substituted were better quality wines than what were in the package. No work was being done any where that I saw.

I did the Behind the Scenes tour which was held on the final sea day. We did see some of the preparations that were being done below decks for the dry dock and saw several storerooms that were near empty. All of this added to the interest of the tour.

I was concerned prior to the voyage, not knowing when I booked it that it was just before drydock. Turned out to be a non-concern for my traveling companion and me.

This makes me feel a little better...hope everything is good like yours was. It's for our 10th wedding anniverary and the wife is really looking forward to it.

Anything not sold in gift shops before dry dock can still be sold once the ship is sailing again.

If anything I would think that the ships first sailing out of dry dock may have some minor problems. Any crew that is not working on the ship is furloughed.

We sailed on the Miracle on the first cruise out of dry dock. One thing I noticed was a sign on the sliding glass door to the adult serenity area that read kids pool.

I don’t expect any problem when we sail the last cruise Freedom before dry dock.

We did a cruise on a different cruise line right before a dry dock. We noticed a drop in service, supplies and staff.

We could tell the boat was tired! And just not as clean and glamorous as we were used to.

That being said, it was still a cruise and we had a great time. I posted about this same topic a while ago. I think it all depends on your expectations. And many people said that going out AFTER a dry dock has its problems as well.

I would just roll with it as you are already booked and probaly can't change it. :)

I went on the Destiny on the second to last cruise before dry dock. The only thing we noticed (and were unhappy about) was that the liquor in the liquor store was not stocked properly. The plus was that there was a lot of souvenirs on clearance lol

Archived