What does it mean when your travel agent says .....

"I'll put you in for a free upgrade."

Our "Platinum credit card" travel agent recently told us this when an upgrade was too pricy for us to purchase. This was for an upcoming Royal Caribbean transatlantic.

Does this REALLY mean anything?

Thanks in advance!

Our "Platinum credit card" travel agent recently told us this when an upgrade was too pricy for us to purchase. Does this REALLY mean anything?

Thanks in advance!

Not sure.....but maybe if you are a C&A member,your TA may ask them.

OR if the price drops enough,the category above yours may cost the same as you're paying so she can move you with any more money.....

Why not just ask what she means?

Are you an Amex Platinum Card holder? If so, then maybe the TA is talking about the Amex Cruise Privileges program where you get either $300 OBC or a comp'd cabin upgrade (plus two free dinners in a specialty restaurant and a bottle of champagne).

Are you an Amex Platinum Card holder? If so, then maybe the TA is talking about the Amex Cruise Privileges program where you get either $300 OBC or a comp'd cabin upgrade (plus two free dinners in a specialty restaurant and a bottle of champagne).

Yes we have a Platinum AE card and we are Diamond. When we booked the cruise, we got such a killer deal ($1125/2 for a D2 balcony, 14 day transatlantic) that AE wouldn't give us any perks :(

Would love an upgrade but thrilled with the price so no complaints, just was wondering if it happened last minute....

I would have asked her straight out. She may also be just blowing smoke. I know a TA who is always trying to make herself look good, saying she got this or that for someone. In the end, she isn't giving anything more than Royal is offering. Some passengers live in a bubble, don't subscribe to cruise critic and rely far too much on their TA.

Cruising has changed a lot from say 10 years ago. The internet and cruise critic helps educate us. Be savy, check prices often and select a good TA (preferably an online big box one who will give tons of perks) if you want to use a TA. Know the pros and cons of using a TA vs. cruise line planner. Then you should be okay.

Do you have to book through AMX to get this deal or can you book with a TA and simply pay with your AMX Platinum card?

Our "Platinum credit card" travel agent recently told us this when an upgrade was too pricy for us to purchase. This was for an upcoming Royal Caribbean transatlantic.

Does this REALLY mean anything?

Thanks in advance!

I would take that to mean that the travel agent will make sure your RCI profile is set to accept an upgrade if offered.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Some times when the price of a cabin in your category goes down and it is before final payment when you could get a price adjustment, a TA will "upgrade" you to a category that is presently selling for the same price you paid. That way their commission is protected and they look like a hero. As another poster pointed out, it is an identical cabin, just a higher deck usually.

That's why it is always a good idea to keep checking the prices because, if a price drop does happen before final payment, it is a rare TA that will "automatically" get it for you without being prompted.

Tucker in Texas

Do you have to book through AMX to get this deal or can you book with a TA and simply pay with your AMX Platinum card?

That's a good question. We have always used an Amex TA but I do not think it's required. I'm sure someone here will have a better answer.

Sent from my Kindle Fire

It means she's a salesperson.

She's implying that she has some special connections, which is not really true, and IF the company gives you an upgrade, she'll claim credit. If they don't give you an upgrade, it'll be that the company didn't give you one -- not her fault. Sales.

Pay for the room you want and can afford. Don't take salespeople's comments too seriously.

Yes we have a Platinum AE card and we are Diamond. When we booked the cruise, we got such a killer deal ($1125/2 for a D2 balcony, 14 day transatlantic) that AE wouldn't give us any perks :(

Would love an upgrade but thrilled with the price so no complaints, just was wondering if it happened last minute....

How the HECK did you get THAT deal??? WOW!!! (you did write that that price is for two of you, NOT per person, right?)

How the HECK did you get THAT deal??? WOW!!! (you did write that that price is for two of you, NOT per person, right?)

YES that was for both of us, killer deal right? Not sure but saw the deal in May and jumped on it and $300 off for Diamond balcony discount. Very happy about that deal! Just gotta jump on them when you see them. Prices never got that low since. Thanks!

Archived