Favorite Caribbean Itinierary with RCI?

Which is your favorite Caribbean Itinerary with RCI and why?

So far we have only done two Eastern Caribbean (St Thomas, St Martin & Coco Cay) on FOS and Western Caribbean (Roaton, Belize and Cozumel) on Voyager out of Galveston.

Out of those two I preferred Western Caribbean.

That's a really easy one! Southern out of San Juan, to include Aruba, Curacao, and St Kitts! The islands are beautiful and rarely do you have another ship in port with you! Adding a few extra days pre and post in San Juan is as good as the cruise itself! Airfare is not usually too high..we can fly from Mi for under $450 pp.

Lauri

Yep, agree with SOUTHERN. Been Western many times and it's nice, but I'm tired of Mexico. And frankly, safety is becoming a concern.

We were just on Jewel (9/21) out of San Juan. St. Croix, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados. So far, my favorite cruise out of the 10 I've taken on RCI.

St. Lucia is beautiful!!! My new favorite island. We liked it so much we are planning to spend a week there at an all-inclusive sometime soon.

Cayman is still my favorite (for scuba) but Southern Caribbean is definitely awesome!!!

I would say Southern, too. However, I like the reposition cruises that do a Southern route and typically are less money and have an interesting itinerary.

I'd like to consider a repositioning cruise, but don't you find the airfare very costly? Unless you live near one of the ports, you have two one-way flights to contend with.

What is your experience?

Another vote for Southern. The islands are beautiful. We have taken two different iteneraries and enjoyed each. I must say that the cruise with 6 ports and only one sea day was pretty exhausting. That's why my next 7 day cruise will include 3 Sea days.

I'd like to consider a repositioning cruise, but don't you find the airfare very costly? Unless you live near one of the ports, you have two one-way flights to contend with.

What is your experience?

Look at Choice Air for one-way flights. I've found very good prices with them.

That's a really easy one! Southern out of San Juan, to include Aruba, Curacao, and St Kitts! The islands are beautiful and rarely do you have another ship in port with you! Adding a few extra days pre and post in San Juan is as good as the cruise itself! Airfare is not usually too high..we can fly from Mi for under $450 pp.

Lauri

agree. Really like St. Kitts.

That's a really easy one! Southern out of San Juan, Adding a few extra days pre and post in San Juan is as good as the cruise itself! Airfare is not usually too high..we can fly from Mi for under $450 pp.

Lauri

I agree with everything except the airfare to SJU which is unpredictable. We also have flown to SJU many times for 350-400, but there's no guarantee of that. That said, if you can get reasonable airfare to SJU I highly recommend cruising from there.

Another vote for Southern! We've done 2 different itineraries with no repeated ports. St Lucia was also our favorite. San Juan is a wonderful departure port with lots to see & do for a day or two before or after.

I also agree that the 6 ports in 7 days itinerary is exhausting but oh so worth it!

We've done Antigua, Barbados, Curaçao, St Croix, St Kitts, St Thomas, St Martin, St Lucia, Puerto Rico, Aruba & one more I can't think of. Loved them all.

I agree with everything except the airfare to SJU which is unpredictable. We also have flown to SJU many times for 350-400, but there's no guarantee of that. That said, if you can get reasonable airfare to SJU I highly recommend cruising from there.

One other thing to look out for in San Juan is a big event. It took about an hour and a half to get from the airport to my hotel not to far away. The taxi driver said that it was unusually busy I was lucky to have flown in the day before the sailing. It also gave me a chance to see the nightlife of San Juan instead of just seeing it for a few hours while being in port on a cruise.

I have been researching this Southern cruise out of SJ.

Glad to hear so many who have done it and loved it.

We've done these islands a couple times, but we are taking the kids on this one.

Can anyone tell me about Jewel. We have done the bigger ships, love them and love newer too soooo I am slightly nervous about Jewel... ??

I also will always pick Southern Itineraries.

They are stunning ports and the Eastern and Western are so easy to get to they should be used for a quickie trip rather then a planned out vacation!

In my honest opinion...

I have been researching this Southern cruise out of SJ.

Glad to hear so many who have done it and loved it.

We've done these islands a couple times, but we are taking the kids on this one.

Can anyone tell me about Jewel. We have done the bigger ships, love them and love newer too soooo I am slightly nervous about Jewel... ??

I also will always pick Southern Itineraries.

They are stunning ports and the Eastern and Western are so easy to get to they should be used for a quickie trip rather then a planned out vacation!

In my honest opinion...

No need to be nervous about Jewel. She is a beautiful, elegant ship, and you will have views of the outside from almost all venues. Plus, on the southern carib itinerary you have either one sea day or two sea days, so little time on board.

My wife and I have been considering doing a Southern in 2015, question is which boat is better...Jewel or Adventure?

They are different types of ships, so you're comparing apples and oranges. I'd be happy to be on either ship.

Jewel is smaller, many fewer guests, more elegant, views to the outside from most all venues.

Adventure is larger, more guests, has more bells and whistles, such as the ice rink and Royal Promenade.

Another vote for all itineraries of the Southern Caribbean out of SJU (2003, 2004, and 2010 B2B). Of course all islands sport their own brand of "Caribbean ambiance" but Dominica and St. Lucia are all time favorites because of the lush, unspoiled rustic beauty. JMHO

What is your experience?

We are booked on a repo for Vision on Nov 6, 2014. It goes from FLL to Tampa. We plan to drive to Tampa and get a park and fly hotel. Then take a one-way rental to FLL port. It is only a 4 hr drive and the rental rates are around $50 or less.

The cruise has a nice rhythm. The port and sea days alternate. Very relaxing.

Also, Bob is correct--Choice Air has nice rates for one-way flights. [ i.e. For our Transatlantic later this month, our fight from BWI to Barcelona for a Transatlantic is $484 pp. You can not beat that. The flight home from FLL to BWI was less than $100 on Southwest. ]

Archived