Eclipse - vents on deck 11 Aqua balconies

Apple5

We were on Eclipse last week in Aqua class on deck 11 starboard aft. Initially I thought the sound I could hear was the rushing of the sea as it reminded me of the noise we used to hear all day in a rear-facing aft cabin on Caribbean Princess. However, on closer inspection of the balcony, we discovered the entire roof was in fact an air vent. The vents span a total of 9 Aqua cabins on Deck 11 and are clearly visible on the attached photo. We checked and they appear to be on both sides of the ship. The noise is certainly not annoying and you don’t really notice it when out at sea but it’s clearly there when you are docked.

We were in 1642, the first cabin under the vents to the left side, so looking at the deck plan, the vents extend along to 1626.

Thought people might find this useful as I haven’t found many references to it.

1756364173_EclipseDeck11Vents.jpg.8739067f75401652295e2ab2b8dae342.jpg

I see them! They also cause the ceiling (you said roof) to be lower on your balcony. I would think that would be annoying on a port day. I wonder if you, or the cabins above you had any vibration from the vents? :eek:

Edited by Iamthesea

Perhaps this photo makes it clearer... even though the quality isn't great.

As I stated, not a problem for us. Just trying to provide information about something we hadn't expected.

Aaahhhh, that's better! Even my old eyes can see them now. :)

I'm curious, could you tell whether they were taking fresh air into the ship, or venting out stale air? As you didn't experience any smell, I'm guessing the former.

Could it be that what you thought was the sound of the rushing sea in the aft cabins were also from the funnels on those other ships? 💨 👂

.🎃

Perhaps this photo makes it clearer... even though the quality isn't great.

As I stated, not a problem for us. Just trying to provide information about something we hadn't expected.

I see what you are referring to now. I couldn't see it from the first photo as I am using a IPad and the picture is smaller and the way the box was I thought you were referring to the funnels as those cabins are between them.

Interesting and good observation. Thanks for the info, will avoid those cabins.

Did you get any strange odors or could you feel any hot air blowing onto the balcony?

.🎃

Sorry about the first picture - I should have made the area I was referring to more obvious.

No, no odours or unpleasant smells. So I guess it was either taking air into the ship or expelling clean air, as you say. No vibrations either, from our point of view. Then again, perhaps upstairs might have felt something as it was directly beneath their balcony floor...

Would have been a good question for one of the Celebrity Life Q&A sessions ;)

Here are similar vents on Reflection. Since they don't have the tunnel like metal work like on Eclipse, I would be prone to guess they are air intake vents for some purpose. Those in the photo are further forward on the starboard side, with still another set located about mid ship, and a set similarly located to the Eclipse photo further aft, making three sets totaling twenty vents on this side.

Reflections%20vents.JPG

Edited by SantaFeFan

No vibrations either, from our point of view. Then again, perhaps upstairs might have felt something as it was directly beneath their balcony floor...

Not only the balcony ceiling and floor. ;) Those vents have to go somewhere/connect to something, so they either ran over your stateroom ceiling/under the above staterooms floor or air trunks run up or down in the outside wall of those staterooms.

We had an usual occurrence when we stayed in an AQ, forward on the Eclipse. Every evening when we were getting ready for bed, we heard loud musical vibrations coming from the walls. This went on for a couple of hours and we usually had to fall asleep to it. The vibration was so loud (like a boom box) that even our white noise machine could not mask it. We at first thought it was the neighbors, then discounted that and thought someone was above us in the gym - after hours. After checking with the spa and gym crew, we realized that we were directly under the sauna/steam room and heated lounges area. No loud music there. It finally dawned on us that the music was coming from below and it coincided with the entertainment going on in the disco. This was confirmed the one or two nights that nothing was going on in the disco (a deck party, instead) and we heard no noise in the walls. The catch was that we were nowhere near the disco. Somehow, the music was being channeled through something that went through the walls in our room. :eek:

Interesting observation. Hadn't seen these, but its great to know!

Any indication if these vents are near 1509 on the port side forward (Reflection)?

No. They are only in the indented areas of the sides, not on the areas that are flush with the ship's sides as #1509 is.

It is an air intake. We were in AQ in April on Solstice Class and asked the Engineering Officer about it at an event. He did not know, but found out and left us a message on our phone. We didn't notice sound, but my curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to know what it was.

In the picture posted, we can see right above that it's located by the pool area. In the middle, it seems to be a hot tub.

I'm guessing here... but if it's an air intake... it may be used to cool down the equipment like pumps that are most likely located in the floor.

We had a problem on Equinox during her first year, with the noise from one of the vents. It was really bad one day, you couldn't sit on the balcony it was so loud and even in the cabin it was still noisy. The engineers were flumexd by it and had to go and look on charts to see what the vents were. The did eventually managed to sort the noise out by disconnecting the fan but weren't sure what it was for.

we had a gurgling noise on the last trip, worked out what it was - yes it was a nuisance bit there was absolutely nothing we could do about it - so we took the pragmatic approach, shrugged our shoulders and got on with it - noting not to use the corner aft again

Not only the balcony ceiling and floor. ;) Those vents have to go somewhere/connect to something, so they either ran over your stateroom ceiling/under the above staterooms floor or air trunks run up or down in the outside wall of those staterooms.

We had an usual occurrence when we stayed in an AQ, forward on the Eclipse. Every evening when we were getting ready for bed, we heard loud musical vibrations coming from the walls. This went on for a couple of hours and we usually had to fall asleep to it. The vibration was so loud (like a boom box) that even our white noise machine could not mask it. We at first thought it was the neighbors, then discounted that and thought someone was above us in the gym - after hours. After checking with the spa and gym crew, we realized that we were directly under the sauna/steam room and heated lounges area. No loud music there. It finally dawned on us that the music was coming from below and it coincided with the entertainment going on in the disco. This was confirmed the one or two nights that nothing was going on in the disco (a deck party, instead) and we heard no noise in the walls. The catch was that we were nowhere near the disco. Somehow, the music was being channeled through something that went through the walls in our room. :eek:

We also noticed loud disco music on the Equinox While in our Aqua cabin room 1521, but only one night out of ten. We were watching a late, late movie and heard the boom boom boom, tried to figure it out. Finally assumed it was coming from the thermal spa above us. This was at 2:00 in the morning.

It didn't disturb us per se, but we were curious about the source. In retrospect, it could have been the nightclub several floors below. Our cabin was directly under the heated loungers thermal spa also and we wondered if the midnight cleaning crew pumped up the music/loudspeakers in the middle of the night

I would still book this cabin again in a heartbeat

Edited by 4cats4me

That was our room. :D

The spa staff said that their is no late night cleaning crew up there and that no crew members used the gym after ours.

I am surprised you only heard the noise one night. Could you have normally been asleep during that time, or still out of the stateroom? We normally started for bed after dinner and show between 11:00 and midnight. I think had we been asleep when the "boom boom" started, we would have slept through it in that early realm of sleep. ;)

Ok, you convinced us about the vents. Now, would you recommend those cabins on deck 11 for S class ships?

If you are used to loud aircon in an office, which I am, it's a similar background noise yet if I'd known in advance then I'd have chosen a different cabin, which might have been an improvement or might have been worse for any number of reasons...

Even though it wasn't a biggie, I couldn't help feeling that I'd somehow managed to pick one of the 18 cabins on the ship that did have a vent on the balcony. :(

If you are used to loud aircon in an office, which I am, it's a similar background noise yet if I'd known in advance then I'd have chosen a different cabin, which might have been an improvement or might have been worse for any number of reasons...

Even though it wasn't a biggie, I couldn't help feeling that I'd somehow managed to pick one of the 18 cabins on the ship that did have a vent on the balcony. :(

Most of us don't sleep with the noise of a loud office air conditioning unit running in the background - at least not when the boss is around. :D

Edited by boogs