Legendary Danube on the AMALyra, what a disappointment!

Lobes1

We have had two excellent experiences with AMA - AmaDante and AmaCerto - and will be traveling with them again.

I am not at all concerned about choosing the AmaDante, also an older vessel, for our trip next year.

Hopefully AMA will come back and comment on their maintenance and update program soon for those that are concerned.

We are booked on the Lyra October of 2014. Having read this review, I'm quite concerned. If the boat was showing wear 2 years ago, I'm worried what it will be like next year??? This would be our first river cruise. We are captain club members on both Princess and Celebrity. Until reading this review I was really excited about AMA, BUT, now I'm wondering if we made an expensive mistake? Hopefully after AMA checks into this problem they will post a response on their findings. Is this boat scheduled for anything refurbishing and will anyone be following up on the competence of the tour guides?

I have sailed on mostly older ships because I prefer designs with lots of public space. Celebrity Summit and Coral Princess were both kept in perfect condition despite their age - and yet some reviews from the same time period as my cruises complained that they were shabby old rustbuckets.

So I would take Lobes1's comments with a large grain of salt. We were on AmaCello this summer. It's a year older than AmaLyra, and everything was in like-new condition. [in the grand scheme of cruising, 2008 and 2009 are hardly "old" ships!]

I would also suggest you look through the River Cruising forum for other AMA reviews. Lobes1 is one of a few really negative reviews of an AMA cruise. There are many more positive ones. It's possible that a lot of what Lobes1 reported is colored by false expectations, a bad initial impression that set the tone, or just that some people don't like river cruising no matter what - rather than the reality of that cruise.

One thing is likely to be different on your cruise: AMA's Cruise Directors are hired for one cruise at a time, so you probably won't have the same one.

We were on the AmaLyra the last week in August of 2013. Legendary Danube from Nuremberg to Budapest.

While I'm sure that the OP experience was accurately detailed, I just want to say that this was NOT our experience at all.

We were not on the OP's cruise this I know because our CD was Matayas, a gentleman not a woman as was the case with the OP. We did however have a large group of older folks from the U.S (not Australia as in the OP's case) and that did, in our opinion, detract from the cruise as they tended to take over the ship at the cost of everyone else aboard. This however is no fault of Ama.

The ship is not run down in any way. All the public spaces as well as the cabins are lovely, clean and well kept.

The crew was hard working and in most cases friendly. I find most of the time you get what you give. If you treat them nice they will reciprocate. I think also that some of what people perceive as rude or brusque is actually a cultural difference. They are very efficient and not overly demonstrative of outward emotion to strangers.

I do agree with the OP about the food aboard. It was ok, nothing extraordinary. We ate in town when we could and enjoyed that immensely, but I do understand that isn't in everyone's budget.

If you are booked on a Ama cruise, go and enjoy yourselves. I heartily agree with someone else on this thread who said if you go expecting issues & problems that is probably what you will get.

The Amalyra and Ama Waterways offer a quality product and to us was perfect introduction to river cruising.

We too put a deposit down on a future cruise with Ama and can't wait to cruise the Rhine in 2015.

Edited by moesmrs

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I must say though, one of the reasons we decided on AMA was because we were told the food and amenities were outstanding. If we have to eat in restaurants in order to get a good meal, I too will be disappointed. If I wanted ordinary I would have picked a less expensive trip.

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I must say though, one of the reasons we decided on AMA was because we were told the food and amenities were outstanding. If we have to eat in restaurants in order to get a good meal, I too will be disappointed. If I wanted ordinary I would have picked a less expensive trip.

We have cruised 2x with AMA and very much enjoyed the food on both cruises. We do appreciate good food and found both the variety and quality to be very good. We especially enjoyed the regional specialties and the wonderful artisanal cheese board at lunch and dinner, in addition to the excellent breads baked aboard.

No complaints whatsoever on either food or amenities.

gramma-

Please don't let my opinion of the food sway you. I agree with caviargal, the cheese plates and breads as well as the wines were excellent. Breakfast & lunch buffets as well as menu items were good as well. The dinner food was well prepared but again IMHO just unimaginative. Filet, chicken, fish etc... food that I can get anywhere at home. We were in a part of the world where we adore the regional cooking. We were looking for sausage, schnitzels, goulash etc... No worries though because since you are docked if not in then very close to the city center so it was easy-peasy to get into town, enjoy the local flavor and be back on the ship to enjoy the entertainment and a few drinks before bed.

Currently on the AMACERTO

Everything so far is top notch

Michelin 5 star?? No

But very good and the staff is Wonderful

Cruise director is Lisi and she is just GREAT

We are in Vienna today. On the way to Prague

Sharon

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

gramma-

Please don't let my opinion of the food sway you. I agree with caviargal, the cheese plates and breads as well as the wines were excellent. Breakfast & lunch buffets as well as menu items were good as well. The dinner food was well prepared but again IMHO just unimaginative. Filet, chicken, fish etc... food that I can get anywhere at home. We were in a part of the world where we adore the regional cooking. We were looking for sausage, schnitzels, goulash etc... No worries though because since you are docked if not in then very close to the city center so it was easy-peasy to get into town, enjoy the local flavor and be back on the ship to enjoy the entertainment and a few drinks before bed.

True, you don't get food on the ship that matches the town you were just in. I would say it has regional touches, but that is probably influenced by the chef rather than the itinerary. But it's pretty easy to have lunch off the ship if you want authentic local cuisine, and still have the rich continental fare at dinner. I have never enjoyed soup as much as on AmaCello. In fact by the midway point I consciously cut down on the amount of food I was eating because it was so good that my pants were feeling tight.

I must take a moment to say - we just got back from the AMALyra three days ago, and wish we were still onboard! We did the enchanting Rhine from Basel to Amsterdam begining with the Zurich & Lucerne extension. We were NOT disappointed.

The precruise hotels were excellent, the tours wonderful & to a person, the guides were very well educated and informative. A few had accents that were a bit of a challenge, but we were in their native land and I certainly could not have spoken their language as fluently as they spoke mine!

Once onboard, we found the food to be very good quality. I never had anything I did not like, and though I am not a food snob, I do enjoy and appreciate "good eats"! Everything was yummy, the soup a standout! Although I am not able to drink alcohol, all our tablemates had their glasses full at all times. My husband drinks beer, and after the second evening, the beverage server was bringing him two mugs at once, without him even asking for it - it became a joke at our table. Once or twice I did have to wait for a second glass of soda, I think they are not used to teatotallers!

Our cruise director was a lovely young woman from Hungary, Reka Piros. I do not know how she managed to be everywhere at once. No request was treated as too much trouble. She bent over backwards to make sure everyone's needs were met.

I could go on & on about the ways we enjoyed this trip, but at the moment time does not permit. There were a few things that could have been improved upon, but not enough to dampen our enjoyment. If anyone has any questions, I can try to answer them when I get a chance.

Bottom line, if you have booked on this ship, you should not have any qualms about it.

Barb

Our cruise director was a lovely young woman from Hungary, Reka Piros. I do not know how she managed to be everywhere at once. No request was treated as too much trouble. She bent over backwards to make sure everyone's needs were met.

Reka is great! Her accent is thick, but we never had any trouble understanding her (or any of our guides). And her energy is incredible!

Oh no, how can it be, people in Europe speaking with foreign accents ! I mean shouldn't they all have gone to school in America and learn how to speak with a New York accent..

I was referring to the complaints in posts 1 & 10 on this thread. Keep up, there will be a quiz at the end.

I always go back and review member reviews for our cruises as well as post my own. I am always amazed when I find reviews that cause me to question if the poster was on the same cruise.

There are so many subjective areas on cruises, such as food, entertainment, tours, even the type of pillows in you cabin.

We have been on three river cruises and nine ocean cruises. None have been perfect, but all have been pretty good.

I remember on cruise when we had excellent waiters that took great care of us. I decided to order a beer instead of my usual wine. For some reason, the waiter took 25 minuted to produce the beer. I was frustrated, since I wanted the beer before the meal. I thought about it and decided that one late beer doesn't take away a very consistent record of service.

Of course, I am one of those persons where the glass of water is always half full.

Different strokes.

I was referring to the complaints in posts 1 & 10 on this thread. Keep up, there will be a quiz at the end.

Well, jazzbeau, since you are referring to post #10, that one is mine, so I will clarify.

My comment regarding heavy accents being difficult to understand was somewhat "tongue in cheek".

The majority of our AMA tour guides were locals, and they were very knowledgeable. Of course they had accents! Many of them spoke several languages (common for Europeans).

Our tour guide in Durnstein was the exception, she grew up in the USA and moved to Germany. She was great, as our active walker group leader and later, she took us on the bike ride through the Wachau Valley to Melk.

I have excellent hearing, so the tour guide's accents were not a huge concern for me. However, my husband wears hearing aids (as did many other passengers) and accents are troublesome for them.

This observation is certainly not intended as a criticism, merely a fact that accents can be hard to understand.

• 3 weeks later...

I sent AMAWATERWAYS an email about experience with our cruise. They replied that they would investigate our complaints and get back with me. Four weeks later they sent us another email saying they would discuss our complaints with their crew. That was not what I expected.

I sent AMAWATERWAYS an email about experience with our cruise. They replied that they would investigate our complaints and get back with me. Four weeks later they sent us another email saying they would discuss our complaints with their crew. That was not what I expected.

Lobes1,

How would you like AMA to rectify your disappointment?

What outcome would meet your satisfaction?

I think that voicing your complaints two months after a cruise is finished does nothing to help you receive the service and amenities you wish for on the cruise. If the service is not to your standards, speak up. For example, ask to speak to the food and beverage manager concerning any food or drink issues, while on the ship.

River cruises are not equivalent to a true Five Star Hotel experience, no matter which line you choose. The small size of the vessel, makes that impossible.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply Jazzbeau. I actually expect it to be okay, as it wont' be the same crew or itinerary.

I will however be interesting as it is back to back with a Uniworld in Northern France, and also a repeat of Uniworld for Southern France. My husband refused to step foot on board AMA/APT again, so I am the recipient of the credit. I also didn't say the AMACello was awful now, I said it was going to show signs of age. We looked "next door" during our five days at Deggendorf at the AMACerto and she looked amazing, and our ship wasn't too shabby either, the AMAVerde.

Nope I don't travel to be disappointed, which is why we have 4 more small ship cruises booked. :)

after reading your original post i am pretty sure whatever response you receive from AMA it will be "brusque and unfriendly"...also the response will be as "surly" as the crew members (and many of the passengers!)...