Just Back From The Royal Princess Inaugural Med-T/A Cruise

Woobstr112G

Bob,

Enjoyed your pictures so much. They are the best ones I have seen. What type of a camera did you use? I missed that picture you deleted when I first looked but three people emailed me copies of it. So, it is still floating around. I think you owe Holli big time - maybe another cruise? I'd be milking that one for a long time.

Your cabin looks more like a VS suite than an OS. No table and chairs and a loveseat instead of a sofa and one, not two side chairs next to the loveseat.

Did they use the concierge lounge for the suite passenger lounge the last morning?

Thanks for taking the time to post everyday.

Yes the concierge lounge was available on the last morning, loaded with goodies..:D..A staff member was there announcing the departure colors.

Very Nice

Your pictures of the inside of the ship are truly impressive. I assume you had one custom white balance set or did you have to take a fresh reading in different areas?

Thanks for the kind words about the pictures. I experimented with a couple. I'm sill learning how to do manual shots. I've got a long way to go though......:):):)

Bob

Bob,

That is a nice camera.

My son has a 7 D and several others. On our Alaskan cruise a couple years ago, he sent four lens with me. I was spending more time taking the backpack off, having my dh hold the camera while I switched them and it always seemed like I had the wrong one on. Last spring I told him I was only taking one extra and that worked out much better. He also sent a tripod along which I did use a lot. I also used the 28X135. I really know nothing about cameras and had a long cheat sheet with me which I had to review many times and there were also many calls and emails home to ask for help.

I wish the ships would offer some good photography classes, especially on the longer cruises. On our last cruise the Internet guy had a couple classes and they were so basic - sad - most people walked out. I don't use a camera enough to remember all the settings - it is hell to get old and forgetful.

I think you should book a GS for Holli. We had one for a month on our last cruise and now everything seems small. Wish more ships had one.

Thanks again for all the great pictures.

Bob,

Thanks for sharing your wonderful pictures. Looks like you had a magnificent day in Amalfi. We also love La Tagliata.

We are going on the Crown in a couple of months and it should be interesting to see how, after being on the Royal recently, what it will be like to be back on a Grand Class ship and how we compare the Crown amenities and layout.

Ron

Bob, thanks for taking the time to write a review. Also, thanks for organizing an incredible tour to Rome including a fabulous guide in the Vatican. Couldn't have been better.

Just some info for those who booked a standard balcony cabin. We were in C710 and loved it. The location was fabulous. Very quiet and even though the balcony was smaller than usual, it was fine for us. With the weather being so incredibly beautiful, we used it every day. We loved the new shower heads and also had a fabulous cabin steward; Dounald.

We found the Vista lounge to be very awkward. There is really no room to move between tables towards the front and very difficult to navigate unless sitting on the aisle. I really missed Skywalker's for Elite drinks before dinner. Of course everyone has already heard about the laundry service. Once we realized that 5 days of waiting was the norm, we just went with it. Also, the issue with the tp location is real. So, just take the roll out and put it on the counter or underneath. If they removed the metal piece on top of the roll, it would make things much easier.

We spent many hours by the pools and never had a problem finding a lounge. We didn't really encounter any "out of the ordinary" rudeness and overall had a wonderful time. I would sail on the Royal again but like the Ruby better! :p

Bob, thanks for taking the time to write a review. Also, thanks for organizing an incredible tour to Rome including a fabulous guide in the Vatican. Couldn't have been better.

We spent many hours by the pools and never had a problem finding a lounge. We didn't really encounter any "out of the ordinary" rudeness and overall had a wonderful time. I would sail on the Royal again but like the Ruby better! :p

Lynda;

Thank you for the kind words:). I also share your thoughts about the Ruby.....:):):)

Bob

Did you by chance get any pricing on the onboard Bungalows?

The pricing of the bungalows at the Retreat Pool is $50 per half day and $80 for a whole day. IMHO the Sanctuary is a much better value and location.

We spent much of our time on sea days at the Retreat Pool and never saw anyone using a bungalow. They appear to be easily removed and hope they do so in order to make more room for ordinary loungers.

Lew

Thanks Bob great review. We were also on the same cruise and had the time of our lives. This was our first TA crossing and we loved it. I agree the ship has a few issues, center stair case would be an issue if your cabin was center ship. Ours were front so we didn't have an issue and used the stairs all the time. Elevators were an issue I believe because of too many rude people who think they are entitled to instant service and can't wait a few minutes. Courtesy goes a long way.

I think the lack of pools will be an issue in the caribbean. The fountain and water displays were pretty but I think that area as a pool would be more beneficial.

The food was fantastic and the service on this ship I found superior to any of our previous Princess sailings. I give the staff a lot of credit because there were a lot of elite passengers demanding the moon, I reminded a few at times that I paid the same to be on the ship as they did so butting in line when we are waitng for a coffee is not an Elite Perk.

Lotus spa staff where so nice we paid for the enclave and it was worth every penny.

For the first time we tried the Sanctuary and are now hooked. We will now have to join the lines to sign up. The sanctuary was totally booked the last few days because the weather was so beautiful.

Now to what I think is a best kept secret. I changed my cabin at the last minute to E106 from a regular deluxe balcony to an deluxe obstructed view balcony. The only obstruction is a metal front panel instead of glass. The balcony was 9 feet long and was partcially covered by the size of the balcony above (similar to the caribe balconies on other ships). We used the balcony a lot and have booked it again for the Regal Maiden Caribbean sailing next november.

I would sail the Royal again with the right destinations.:p

What is the Enclave? What is the cost? Thanks

It is a Thermal Suite. Has steam rooms, saunas, special pools etc.

not sure of the cost. Someone will let you know that, I just wanted to answer you asap. You might be able to find that info on Dave's great Thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1766069

We are booked for 14 days in April 2014 on Royal in B735. We are aft balcony people and spend tons of time on our balcony. We are also interior space people, meaning we really enjoy having some room...why we book big suites. Having read about the size of the room, no wet bar, no jetted tub, and soot problems we are seriously considering canceling the Royal and booking on an older Princess ship. Anyone else thinking that way?

What is the Enclave? What is the cost? Thanks

It is a large relaxing hot tub and jets. Heated beds, and 3 different steam rooms. Was great when we were walking tours all day and then could relax.

It is $39 a day or $20 a day if you book the whole cruise. For the 18 days they ran another special which worked out to $14 a day.

It is a large relaxing hot tub and jets. Heated beds, and 3 different steam rooms. Was great when we were walking tours all day and then could relax.

It is $39 a day or $20 a day if you book the whole cruise. For the 18 days they ran another special which worked out to $14 a day.

were you able to book this before the cruise or after you boarded ship ?

Sounds wonderful!

The pricing of the bungalows at the Retreat Pool is $50 per half day and $80 for a whole day. IMHO the Sanctuary is a much better value and location.

We spent much of our time on sea days at the Retreat Pool and never saw anyone using a bungalow. They appear to be easily removed and hope they do so in order to make more room for ordinary loungers.

Lew

Thank You, Lew

Just some info for those who booked a standard balcony cabin. We were in C710 and loved it. The location was fabulous. Very quiet and even though the balcony was smaller than usual, it was fine for us. With the weather being so incredibly beautiful, we used it every day. We loved the new shower heads and also had a fabulous cabin steward; Dounald.

Thank you. That is good to hear. We are booked for the same cabin for a cruise on the Royal which departs on January 5th of next year. Bob shared with us on another thread that the soot problems which were experienced by those in the aft cabins facing the stern were not a problem with aft cabins on the side. Thus I am confident that we have booked a great balcony cabin!:D Lynda, I do have a question. Is the balcony covered at least in part or is it entirely open to the balconies above?

Hi Bob

That was some job

Thanks for doing this

How long did it take you

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Hi Shogun;

I got a head start while still was on the cruise. I had my laptop with me so every night I would process the pictures and place them in a folder. When when we got home, I probably had 95% of my pictures ready to upload.....:):):)

Blob

Hi Shogun;

I got a head start while still was on the cruise. I had my laptop with me so every night I would process the pictures and place them in a folder. When when we got home, I probably had 95% of my pictures ready to upload.....:):):)

Blob

Bob, thanks for posting your pictures! They were wonderful and I had such a good time viewing all of them. Brought back so many memories of the great ports we visited! :p

Archived