Looking to book first RCI cruise...suggestions?

Hello all...

After six cruises on Carnival and a mini cruise on the Bahamas Celebration, I'm ready to try something different. Just got back from a Carnival cruise on Oct 12 and my expectations simply were not met.

So, with that said, I'm interested in your opinions as to what the best 7 day iteneraries are and which ship(s) to consider for a first time RCI cruise.

I've cruised both the Fantasy and Conquest class of ships with Carnival and I'm definitely interested in something larger than the Fantasy class (70,000 tons).

The Freedom of the Seas looks appealing but was just curious what you veteran RCI cruisers would recommend for a first-timer?

Hi there! I'm not an experiences Royal cruiser, but I did pick Freedom for our first cruise with them. I booked 2 years out, and now we're less than a month out! I can only tell you why we picked Freedom over other ships. I liked that she has all the features of the larger ships, while still keeping the look & feel of a ship at sea. For me, Oasis class is just too big. I also liked the ports. The Western itenerary has 4 ports vs 3 on the Oasis class. I'd suggest getting to know the deck plans to see which ship is the best fit for you.

Enjoy your first RCI cruise!

Obviously from our signature, we're very familiar with cruising Carnival. If you're planning on trying RCI, why not start at the top with either The Allure or Oasis? We've only done the Mariner as a different class on RCI, but actually liked Many Carnival ships better. Not so with The Allure. Theses ships are an amazing experience.

As a loyal Carnival cruiser, I decided to try RCL in May of this year. I considered the Carnival Dream but did not want to go to Nassau again. RCL goes to Coco Cay on their Eastern Itinerary. Both my husband and I loved the Freedom of the Seas. He was so afraid that the ship was too big but it never felt big. We liked it so much we are taking the Western Itinerary in December. I cannot wait to be on the ship again because I don't think we did everything on the ship.

Well, the main reason the Allure and the Oasis aren't at the top of my list is because we will drive from Kentucky to Florida. It's just under 12 hours for us from here to Port Canaveral while heading on to Fort Lauderdale adds more drive time and really requires us to make it a two day drive down and a two day drive back. With the 12 hour drive we can make it down in one day. We usually cruise during a very specific window and both have to be back at work on a Monday following returning on Saturday or Sunday.

So with that said, the home ports most easily accessible to us in a one day drive are Jacksonville, New Orleans and Port Canaveral...with an outside stretch at Tampa.

Personally, I'd love to try the Allure or the Oasis, however with airline tickets being as much each as a cruise itself, they just aren't feasible choices for us at this time.

Freedom would be a great choice for your first cruise on RCCL. It is big enough to have a lot of the extras (restaurant, Flowrider) from the Oasis class but not so big as to be overwhelming. Both the Eastern and Western itineraries are excellent and you get an extra port with Freedom that you won't get on Allure or Oasis. You'll have a great time :)

My first cruise was on the Liberty of the Seas, a sister ship of the Freedom, honnestly you really cant go wrong there. Then again the Oasis and the Allure are amazing. For me once I went on the Oasis and the Allure, I would find it super hard to go back to Freedom class.. But if you are just starting out with rci that would be a good choice.

I've been on Adventure (Voyager class), Freedom, and Oasis, but actually prefer Adventure. I'd gladly cruise on Freedom again, though, or one of her sisters ships.

While Oasis was spectacular in many ways, in particular the entertainment, the other ships feel more like a cruise to me. And Voyager- and Freedom-class ships have what I consider to be better amenities in some respects. The service and food were also better than Oasis. Our Allure cruise is right around the corner, and I'm interested to see how she stacks up.

In any case, this probably won't be your last cruise, so it doesn't matter as much where you start. I say try 'em all ... eventually.

Happy cruising!

As someone who lives near Tampa, I'm curious where you are in Kentucky that makes Tampa a stretch to get to compared to Port Canaveral.

That said, with your restrictions I'd probably recommend Freedom like some of the others. There are very few 7-night RCI itineraries out of Tampa anyway. Most are 4/5 night.

Well, the main reason the Allure and the Oasis aren't at the top of my list is because we will drive from Kentucky to Florida. It's just under 12 hours for us from here to Port Canaveral while heading on to Fort Lauderdale adds more drive time and really requires us to make it a two day drive down and a two day drive back. With the 12 hour drive we can make it down in one day. We usually cruise during a very specific window and both have to be back at work on a Monday following returning on Saturday or Sunday.

So with that said, the home ports most easily accessible to us in a one day drive are Jacksonville, New Orleans and Port Canaveral...with an outside stretch at Tampa.

Personally, I'd love to try the Allure or the Oasis, however with airline tickets being as much each as a cruise itself, they just aren't feasible choices for us at this time.

being a Kentucky guy myself I can relate to the travel I started with the fantasy in 2009 and also did the dream. recently . a lot depends on your interest to me saving money is the way to go if you start with the freedom definitely do the western cruise with 4 ports and do not miss labadee it makes for a great beach day then do duns river falls in Jamaica another must do . freedom gives you the medium price point but a lot of features worth doing . if and only if price isn't a factor then start with the best the allure a destination of its own just my opinion good luck and happy cruising GO CATS

Freedom of the Seas was our first RC ship and we absolutely loved it! We just returned from our second sailing on her and have a 3rd booked for 2014. You just can't go wrong with Freedom. We also have about an 11 hour drive to Port Canaveral. My husband said if he is going to spend that much time driving, he wants to cruise for more than 3 or 4 days...not arguing with that!

My very first cruise was the Carnival Elation. Freedom will knock your socks off compared to the Carnival Fantasy class! The Windjammer (buffet) is leaps and bounds ahead of Carnival! The entertainment is also superb on the Freedom. Be sure to see the Ice Show! Phenomenal!

The only minor complaints I've heard comparing RC to Carnival is that there is not 24 hour pizza or ice cream. Freedom has Sorrento's pizza (better than Carnival IMO) that is usually open from lunch until 3am (that's 24 hours in my book!). The soft serve ice cream is located on the pool deck (rather than in the buffet area) and is only open from about 11:30 to 7:00pm. If you go in knowing this, you can prepare yourself and make sure you get your ice cream before dinner!

If you give Freedom a try, you will not be disappointed!

I would say that, given your travel parameters, Freedom is absolutely your best bet. Fantastic ship, with wonderful amenities. And then you should plan to try the Oasis/Allure, as they are experiences unto themselves!

I think you can expect to love the Freedom though, and have a top-notch cruise experience on her. :)

We are from Tennessee, so yes, fort lauderdale is a long drive, but for the Oasis or Allure, well worth the drive. Freedom is a nice choice, then while onboard Freedom, buy a "next cruise certificate" and then you'll be hooked to cruising rccl :D, then try the bigger ships, you gotta try at least once :)

What about Baltimore or Norfolk? I don't know where you are in KY, but, is that an option? I agree that the Freedom is fabulous and you will love it. Having said that, though, I am going on the Grandeur is 5 weeks out of Baltimore. As others have said, you get more of a "shippy" experience on the smaller ships.

Also, have you actually priced the air? I paid 400 rt from Lynchburg, VA to Melbourne, Fl to go on the Enchantment, but, only 250RT to go all the way to Ft Lauderdale for the Allure. Longer trip, less money. Also, if you play around with the airports, sometimes you can save money.

Archived