Worried about disembarkation in San Pedro !

Shippy

I was very happy with Princess employees during EMBARKATION and the cruise. The 2 princess employee's that I will never forget where helping elderly passengers at the elevator. They were backed up and both FRANCESCA AND FAYE (LA San Pedro Port) were extremely rude.

Are they really Princess employees or are they port employees that change uniforms and serve every cruise line that docks there?

They had a large white square princess logo tag in blue on their jackets. They did not look anything like port employees but seemed like princess reps. I think I saw a princess pin on their coat jackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They had a large white square princess logo tag in blue on their jackets. They did not look anything like port employees but seemed like princess reps. I think I saw a princess pin on their coat jackets.

They were likely not Princess employees. All of the pier workers have pins from the various lines and change them according to which ship they are servicing.

We have just pulled into San Pedro. We have walkoff 1 tags, so will see how we do. I'll report back after I get the laundry started, hopefully before 9:00.:)

I know that Princess hires and outside service to work inside the terminal. I asked once thinking of a part time job. I'm guessing that it would be the same service that works for the other cruise lines also.

Walkoff 1 departed on schedule at 7:30. The Platinum/Elite/suite lounge guests ended up at the back of that line, since the CC hostess didn't get the call until the others walkoff 1 group had started off. Nevertheless, we were through immigration in 15 minutes and I wash home shortly after 8:00. Because we strode purposefully to our cars, we were near the front of the parking lot line, which was 20 or so deep - I hope that they opened up the third line at some point.

The first load of laundry is churning away...:(

We originally had a 12:30 pm flight out of LAX. When I entered our flight info on Princess's site, they notified me I wouldn't have enough time.

I was able to schedule a later flight (2:15 pm) with Southwest, who thankfully doesn't charge a change fee.

I'm guessing this is one reason why Princess wants passengers to enter their flight info on their site. (even those who didn't book through them).

This was my experience too.

Get your disembarkation changed as soon as you board. We waited 2 days and got a 9AM slot. Originally, that slot was closed because they have a quota. Our travel friends were standing right next to us and the got the 9AM. They were the cut off, but they allowed us to go with them.

The 9AM slot was just to meet in your area. It took until almost 10 to go through customs. Traffic was the usual morning traffic. No way would anyone make a 10:45 flight.

Pat

I was on the Golden Princess, sailing on Oct. 24th. We walked off the ship at 7:32am and I dropped my husband off at work (in Carlsbad, CA-northern San Diego) at 9:25am. :)

How did you do that ???:eek: Originally, we were scheduled for a 10:45 walk off. We could only get it changed to a 9am .

Pat

I was on the Golden Princess, sailing on Oct. 24th. We walked off the ship at 7:32am and I dropped my husband off at work (in Carlsbad, CA-northern San Diego) at 9:25am. :)

Regardless of the time you got off, respectfully, you were going south on the 405 and the OP is going north on a business day during rush hour. Huge difference. The OP has to get off the ship, get transportation, load and unload their car, drive the 23 miles from pier to airport, then check in 2 hours before at a very large airport by 8:45 am. They will have to also contend with all the business travellers. It's going to be busy. That is way too close for me.

We walked off this morning. Had been scheduled for 10:15, but needed to get back to San Diego and drop my kids off at school. I asked at Passenger Services if I could get an earlier time and ended up with 7:50. I didn't make it to the lounge until 8 and they let me walk on off. At 8:20 I was through Customs and in the car on the way home. Traffic wasn't bad that late in the morning, but I wasn't headed north on 405, which can be bad no matter what time of day.

It's certainly possible to make your flight, but any last little hiccup along the way could foil your plans. Good luck!

The comments of those who headed south on the 405 are interesting but unrealistic as heading north towards LAX is a big difference. Huge. The closer you get to LA, the worse it gets. It can take 20-30 minutes just to get from the entrance to LAX to your terminal. I avoid the 405 and the 5 whenever possible. Seems crazy that a 12-lane highway can turn into a giant parking lot but that's what happens. :(

My experience disembarking at San Pedro twice in the last month : we were told that if we had all of our luggage with us and were prepared to walk off unassisted that nobody would prevent us from leaving with the earliest group. It seems to me that they divide the various embarkation times to avoid horrendously long lines and make things more orderly.

I know if I had a flight that early I would be carrying my own bags and be one of the first off the ship. Good luck.

It was very quick and easy getting through and out. If only getting into the airport had gone as smoothly. 'Even the best laid plans.............'

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Edited by bigenna

Are they really Princess employees or are they port employees that change uniforms and serve every cruise line that docks there?

The only really rude employee we've encountered in the San Pedro terminals was a Port of LA officious rhymes with *****. We found some seats for the three of us to wait and I put my 5-yr-old's juice box and my Pepsi on this little table that was obviously for cruise passengers. She made us move our drinks off the table. Then she used it for her own water bottle, even though there was another place to put it as far as I can tell.

We have been very fortunate, after reading what others are saying. We have always gotten to the airport by 10:30 or so (we schedule super shuttle and have always walked out and gotten on since we have reservations) and we don't do walk off where we take all our luggage. Our flights have usually been at 1:00. but this time since that is a much longer flight with longer stopovers, we are scheduled for 11:45 and we plan on packing lighter than usual and walking off with our luggage. I admit I'm a bit worried after reading this.

Checked SW just for the heck of it to see if anything opened up a bit later and it did, so I changed our flight to 2:05. We'll only be getting in an hour later, and they returned 1000 points to us. Best thing is, we won't do carry off now and be pack horses. Glad for the advice you all gave the OP..made me realize I could be cutting it too close.

The only really rude employee we've encountered in the San Pedro terminals was a Port of LA officious rhymes with *****. We found some seats for the three of us to wait and I put my 5-yr-old's juice box and my Pepsi on this little table that was obviously for cruise passengers. She made us move our drinks off the table. Then she used it for her own water bottle' date=' even though there was another place to put it as far as I can tell.[/quote']

Oh, I've met her! My husband and I and my 5 YO grandson. She told us WE could use the Elite lounge but not the 5 YO because it was only his third cruise. You're kidding right? You think we'd go into the lounge and leave a small child to wait by himself?! :eek: She said unless ALL of you are Elite then no, you can't all use the lounge.

I'll give her this - she left a lasting impression - none of which was good. Talk about a power trip.

Edited by notentirelynormal