Sea sick Pills

#3DD

Hi,

I went on Radiance in January, and i took the seasick pills that i got from Guest services onboard each day,

My question is

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE ACTIVE INGREDIENT IN THESE... ??

I want to try and get something from the Docs so i dont have to go to the service desk everyday, so just want to know what to ask for...

I have tried lots of different pills, and the ship ones are the only ones that have worked :)

Thanks for any answers :):D:D

They are meclazine (don't know if I spelled that correctly). It is also known as dramamine.

You can get the same ingredient and dosage with an over the counter medication called BONNINE. I use Bonnine all the time. It's a once a day chewable tablet.

They are meclazine (don't know if I spelled that correctly). It is also known as dramamine.

You can get the same ingredient and dosage with an over the counter medication called BONNINE. I use Bonnine all the time. It's a once a day chewable tablet.

Actually, it is the other way around.

It IS meclizine. THAT is Bonine.

Dramamine contains diphenhydramine and 8-chlorotheophylline.

You can buy a much larger bottle of generic "Bonine" which would be meclizine at a MUCH lower cost than the brand name on Amazon.

Some people said that Walmart has the generic, but they don't seem to have it available locally.

You can buy a much larger bottle of generic "Bonine" which would be meclizine at a MUCH lower cost than the brand name on Amazon.

Some people said that Walmart has the generic, but they don't seem to have it available locally.

Interesting. It is readily available at every drug store around here. :)

Bonine is an OTC widely available. Meclizine is the active ingredient and has always worked for me with no side effects.

I've seen many posts over the years where people say you can buy generic meclizine from your pharmacists at a much lower cost.

Interesting. It is readily available at every drug store around here. :)

Isn't that odd? I asked the pharmacists at 2 local Walmarts and a CVS before I purchased it online. They all walked me over to show me the Bonine and seasick meds. :rolleyes: It's probably a California thing.

Hi,

I went on Radiance in January, and i took the seasick pills that i got from Guest services onboard each day,

My question is

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE ACTIVE INGREDIENT IN THESE... ??

I want to try and get something from the Docs so i dont have to go to the service desk everyday, so just want to know what to ask for...

I have tried lots of different pills, and the ship ones are the only ones that have worked :)

Thanks for any answers :):D:D

Oh. Sorry...you are in Australia. The active ingredient as posted previously, is Meclizine. I don't know what the prescribing or availability rules are for it in Australia.

Edited by Coralc

Does RCCL charge for the pills if you get them from guest services? I usally bring my own but just in case I forget them (always forget something every cruise).

There out on a table in the waiting area for the infirmary, aspirin too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, it is the other way around.

It IS meclizine. THAT is Bonine.

Dramamine contains diphenhydramine and 8-chlorotheophylline.

The active ingredient in Dramamine Less Drowsy is meclizine, the same as Bonine. From the Dramamine website:

ACTIVE INGREDIENT (IN EACH TABLET)Ingredient:

Meclizine HCI 25mg

I have had good luck with both. I prefer Bonine because it's chewable. :)

I'm also in Australia, Bonine worked the best for me but the downside for us is that we cant buy it here.

Anyway if you have time its easy to order online from America and ship it to your house before your next cruise.

If you need more help let me know

Aaron

The active ingredient in Dramamine Less Drowsy is meclizine, the same as Bonine. From the Dramamine website:

ACTIVE INGREDIENT (IN EACH TABLET)Ingredient:

Meclizine HCI 25mg

I have had good luck with both. I prefer Bonine because it's chewable. :)

Yes, Dramamine came out with a new formulation which they named "Dramamine II - Dramamine Less Drowsy" because they were losing business to Bonine!!!

It does not make one syllable of my previous post inaccurate.

Edited by Merion_Mom

Unfortunately it's NOT available in Australia.

It is available in NZ so if you are cruising there you can stock up when you get there. It's called Sea Legs, it's available in all the pharmacies there. You could try an online NZ pharmacy if you can't get it direct.

It's worth tracking down...it really is magic stuff!

Edited by 3littlepigs
Unfortunate spelling!

The patch has some not so good side effects for a lot of people. Some handle it well but not me. I tried it once and had very blurry vision and dry mouth. Did not get sea sick but felt really bad. Vision so bad I couldn't even read. For me the Bonine works great with no side effects.

People with some eye conditions should not use the patch. Ask your doc about it.

I was fine with the patch while on the cruise, it was after when the problems started. I developed what is called a scopolamine hangover, dizziness, lightheaded, rapid heartbeat and just plain felt rotten.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Does the patch make you sleepy and about how much does it cost, I know depends on insurance, just curious

Seem to remember it was about $30/box of six or so ?? Been a while. Never used it & it expired so tossed it. Bonine works so well I never replaced the patch. If I remember right you can buy the patch over the counter in Canada so could presumably mail order it too.

Used the patch at first and worked well but as has already been stated, it messed up my vision to the point where I couldn't read.

Have been combining Bonine and ginger root pills and have never been seasick even though I suffer from extreme motion sickness if not medicated. Don't know if it's the combination of the two or just one of them that works, but I dont want to make a science experiment out of myself so I stick with taking both.