Taking meals back from MDR - new rule?

Bibble

On the Fascination, at the Lido buffet - I had asked one of the waiter clearing tables, for a cover for my DH's breakfast - so I could take it back to the cabin for him - he said they did not provide covers because we are not allowed to take food to the cabins - then he smiled and said - but I can't stop you from taking it.. so I just went and got another plate and put it on top of the food plate...

I was told that I couldn't take cheesecake from the Steakhouse a couple of cruises ago. It was the first time that they hadn't allowed it, so I assume that it's been that way for at least that long now. I haven't asked again. Somebody probably got sick at some point eating food that hadn't been properly refrigerated. Not really sure why I can buy it at the coffee bar, but oh well.

We just got off the Conquest on the 27th and we were able to take our cheesecake from the Steakhouse with not problems. In fact, they offered before we could even ask. So, possibly it depends on your ship or server.

The reason you're not supposed to take a hot meal from the Main Dining room is because of the sanitation regulations. All food must be served at a certain temperature and they are liable if someone gets sick. My sister is a health inspector so I know this to be true. The buffets are different because you're serving yourself. Carnival also confirmed this the last time my sister sailed with us.

Ask your sister that the food in the buffets has to be served at a set temp. So when you take it to your room it is different story. so it is ok to get sick off of buffets food but not MDR food

Edited by SCOT

Ask your sister that the food in the buffets has to be served at a set temp. So when you take it to your room it is different story. so it is ok to get sick off of buffets food but not MDR food

That's what I was trying to figure out. People say you can't take it back to your cabin from the MDR but they will allow it from the buffet. What difference does it make. Either way, it has to be served at a certain temperature and either way, it's cold by the time you get it to your cabin. That makes no sense at all.

That's what I was trying to figure out. People say you can't take it back to your cabin from the MDR but they will allow it from the buffet. What difference does it make. Either way, it has to be served at a certain temperature and either way, it's cold by the time you get it to your cabin. That makes no sense at all.

One is self-serve, the other is served. If you contaminate yourself, that's on you.

Plus the plates, etc. are different. Extra time and expense to separate and get them back to the proper place. Additionally it is underwhelming what some passengers steal.

There will always be some who will try to bend or break rules.

One is self-serve, the other is served. If you contaminate yourself, that's on you.

Plus the plates, etc. are different. Extra time and expense to separate and get them back to the proper place. Additionally it is underwhelming what some passengers steal.

I was served bacon at the buffet, I wasn't allowed to self-serve the bacon, yet was allowed to take it back to room.;)

Edited by repo-cruiser

But once it's served, it's served. You could sit in the MDR and wait until the food is cold, then what. Half of the time lately the passengers have been complaining about being served cold food anyway.

I can see the plates getting back to the proper place but it's not like everybody on the whole ship takes their plates back. Have you ever walked down the passageways and not seen trays with plates sitting on the floor?

I am a glutton an overheating cruising machine

Often I take a couple proteins with me from the mdr

While it depends on the ship and your waiter I'm always prepared

A couple gallon zip lock bags are must ! A prime rib her a lobster tail or two there

Makes for a great snack on the way to the lido , 24 hr pizza or room service

I am a glutton an overheating cruising machine

Often I take a couple proteins with me from the mdr

While it depends on the ship and your waiter I'm always prepared

A couple gallon zip lock bags are must ! A prime rib her a lobster tail or two there

Makes for a great snack on the way to the lido , 24 hr pizza or room service

Yep. They probably would not have an issue if you ordered food in the MDR, dumped in ziplock bags, and brought back to your cabin.

As for bacon police, that is a perfect example of the lengths Carnival has to go to when faced with inconsiderate passengers.

MDR has its rules and as usual exceptions are made by some wait staff and not by others - it is THEIR call and now people are upset when told no. They should be consistent - it is either YES or NO and not left up to each wait staff to decide.

When you go to the buffet you serve yourself and when you walk out the door they do not know if you have gone to another section to sit, out by the pool, back to your cabin or jump overboard and feed the fish. When you plate it yourself it is done when temperature is correct - when you eat it or where you eat it they have no control over. For the exception of "lobster night" the food on the Lido is basically the same as served in the MDR (I know not always, but generally) without the more formal setting and dancing wait staff. And for the person who just wanted soup - they usually have 2 or 3 different soups on the buffet so this would not be an issue.

Edited by Tbay-eh

Sometimes think the waitstaff makes its own policies.

A few years ago traveled with our kids and our son had to much to drink in Cozumel and was sleeping it off.

Head waiter was ok with us ordering him a plate to go but insisted that room service pick it up and deliver it.

Another time DW was not feeling well and I came todinner alone and waiter insisted on me taking her dinner to her in covered plate.

Has anyone notice that the food in the buffet is hotter on embarkation and debarkation ? Would it be because the US heath dept might board and ck the food for the temp that is sitting in the trays ? Be cause if it is not then they could shut it down .

I think it might be according to the ship. I have seen some ships allow it and some not.......a crap shoot. No pun intended!! There are many things that are different between ships. You would think all Carnival so all would be the same. All have their own "personalities".

Kat

Has anyone notice that the food in the buffet is hotter on embarkation and debarkation ? Would it be because the US heath dept might board and ck the food for the temp that is sitting in the trays ? Be cause if it is not then they could shut it down .

I think it's just busier at these times and thus the food doesn't sit around long enough to get cool. Interestingly enough, I couldn't get a hot breakfast burrito on the Glory if my life depended on it. The fillings - eggs, sausage, potatoes, etc. - we're cold making the burrito inedible, so if temperature control is their concern they have other areas to look first.

My guess is that this is about controlling waste which ultimately saves them money. After all, that's why RCI claims to charge for room service late at night.

I went to go check out the afternoon tea while the rest of my family took a nap. I wanted to take some cake back to DH, even just the leftovers on my plate. I was told it was not allowed, could only bring a few of the little cookies. Of course DH accused me of not properly explaining what afternoon tea was - but hey it was our first cruise. They'll have to come next time. :)

Guess I see things differently. On the first night of our trip this past August, my son wasn’t feeling well and I took him back to the cabin before either main course arrived. Didn’t think to ask for it to go. Didn’t think they allowed that. Plus there’s so much food in other places all over the ship. That night he settled for room service. I stopped by the Deli on our way back to the room and that was that. I missed out on the sit down meal that night. Big deal. It wouldn’t have been the same half cold in my room with no way to reheat it anyway.

It must just depend on the waiter. Just off the Magic Sunday and they offered to send a dessert "to go" one night when I said that I was too full. Then a few nights later I had back issues and didn't go to dinner with hubby and son. They placed my order for filet mignon when they ordered dessert and they sent it "to go". It was still warm when I got it. The waitstaff was so nice. They even asked about it the next night and asked if it was still warm when I got it. They were the best staff we've ever had in 13 cruises!

Guess I see things differently. On the first night of our trip this past August, my son wasn’t feeling well and I took him back to the cabin before either main course arrived. Didn’t think to ask for it to go. Didn’t think they allowed that. Plus there’s so much food in other places all over the ship. That night he settled for room service. I stopped by the Deli on our way back to the room and that was that. I missed out on the sit down meal that night. Big deal. It wouldn’t have been the same half cold in my room with no way to reheat it anyway.

Good for you, thanks for sharing your refreshingly low maintenance approach to resolve your situation with a minimum of fuss.

Good for you, thanks for sharing your refreshingly low maintenance approach to resolve your situation with a minimum of fuss.

We fixed it for my friend's husband with no fuss also. I don't let much impact my fun on a cruise, and made sure my friend reacted the same way :)

She got steak & lobster, he got a sandwich from room service, and honestly, everyone was happy!