Was I rude?? QM2 TA Oct 27

Yoshikitty

There are some languages that aren't as pleasant to the ear. Chinese is one, German another. I love hearing French though. English? Meh, depends on who is speaking it and their intonation.

My spouse is Chinese & I always insist he speak Mandarin when we go out to a Chinese rest.I like to keep him fluent in his native tongue.

I have a universal phrase I use in instances where I think something needs to be said. "Nice!!" said in an approving manner followed by, "That's the most uncouth thing I've seen on this cruise.".

It confuses the heck out of people.

Carnival Destiny jan 2010

Carnival Liberty 9/28/13

Carnival Victory 10/5/13

Carnival Sensation 3/9/14

Carnival Sensation 3/14/14

You are rude! :D :D :D

qm2 kings court morn. while waiting for over easy egg a some guy comes up [i guess he was waiting aside] tells the server CHOP CHOP on his eggs. i asked him "is it wise to upset the chef "? he responds "they are just short order cooks".wadda jerk he was:rolleyes:

There are some languages that aren't as pleasant to the ear. Chinese is one, German another. I love hearing French though. English? Meh, depends on who is speaking it and their intonation.

Great!

I am pretty sure that I was very rude as I speak all the unpleasant languages. :D:D

I speak Mandarin, my mother tongue is Cantonese, which sounds even 'harsher' to the ears. I also speak German. I was told by my British friends that my English has a German accent.

...Nine times out of ten, if we are more cognizant of our ability to say things so as not to offend, we have a greater shot at getting people to be aware and behave as they should...

Congratulations on your ability to have the perfect come back in any situation. Unfortunately for me, I think of what I could have or should have said about five minutes after processing the situation and it is then too late.

I do have to disagree with your point on the attempt "not to offend". That is exactly the problem. We become paralyzed to have any response to an unacceptable action lest we deemed to "pass judgement", "offend", or "hurt their feelings".

The spread of Norovirus will hurt a lot more than "feelings".

Well I'm grateful for this thread.

I am guilty of this behaviour and am mortified.

The plates on Celebrity are stacked upside down and I do put my hands on them to make sure that I have a cold plate for cold food and a hot plate (if available) for hot food.

I won't be doing it again - I just didn't think!

You're a gentleman or lady to acknowledge your not always perfect behavior. I too have touched things without thinking as I'm sure many others have as well. I don't think it helped to tell the woman she was rude. I would probably have picked up the plate and placed it somewhere out of reach of others. It's a crowded world and, when possible, it's best to give the benefit of the doubt and avoid bad feelings.

So true, but before entering any of the restaurants, we usually have our hands disinfected. Inhowfar all the germs have been destroyed I do not dare to say - on the other hand we also need germs to survive.The real question, however, was whether the approach was rude or not, and I think it was not.

You're a gentleman or lady to acknowledge your not always perfect behavior. I too have touched things without thinking as I'm sure many others have as well. I don't think it helped to tell the woman she was rude. I would probably have picked up the plate and placed it somewhere out of reach of others. It's a crowded world and, when possible, it's best to give the benefit of the doubt and avoid bad feelings.

That woman said I was rude because I told her she touched the plate.

I don't care if people don't wash their hands after using the toilet and eat their own food.

Congratulations on your ability to have the perfect come back in any situation. Unfortunately for me, I think of what I could have or should have said about five minutes after processing the situation and it is then too late.

I do have to disagree with your point on the attempt "not to offend". That is exactly the problem. We become paralyzed to have any response to an unacceptable action lest we deemed to "pass judgement", "offend", or "hurt their feelings".

Well said.

Yoshikitty, you WERE NOT rude, you and your husband did exactly the right thing. Over the years I have witnessed some of the rudest and most reprehensible behavior on cruise ships - particularly in the buffet dining room, from failing to use the hand detergent provided at the buffet entrance to individual's shocking habits with regards to food, plates, drinks and utensils in general.

I accept that we are a large group of people in a small area and this in itself can put behavior under the spotlight, but whilst I love the cruising experience the conduct of some people makes me despair.

In the main I think it comes down to one word "selfishness" and the inability of people to conform to what are acceptable standards of what most people describe as the norm. On our last QV cruise I witnessed selfishness with regards to the so-called reserving of sun loungers which were never used, the so-called reserving of seats in the theatre which were never used, pressing both the up and down buttons on the elevators and then walking away and don't get me started on those who will do anything to avoid using the hand soap dispensers. So, Yoshkitty, keep it up, challenge bad behavior as I do and make the cruising experience as enjoyable as it should be - for the majority.

So true, but before entering any of the restaurants, we usually have our hands disinfected. Inhowfar all the germs have been destroyed I do not dare to say - .

"Germs" in this case means virus. Viruses are not destroyed by the reassuring squirt at the restraunt entrance unfortunatly.

David

Yoshikitty, you WERE NOT rude, you and your husband did exactly the right thing. Over the years I have witnessed some of the rudest and most reprehensible behavior on cruise ships - particularly in the buffet dining room, from failing to use the hand detergent provided at the buffet entrance to individual's shocking habits with regards to food, plates, drinks and utensils in general.

I accept that we are a large group of people in a small area and this in itself can put behavior under the spotlight, but whilst I love the cruising experience the conduct of some people makes me despair.

In the main I think it comes down to one word "selfishness" and the inability of people to conform to what are acceptable standards of what most people describe as the norm. On our last QV cruise I witnessed selfishness with regards to the so-called reserving of sun loungers which were never used, the so-called reserving of seats in the theatre which were never used, pressing both the up and down buttons on the elevators and then walking away and don't get me started on those who will do anything to avoid using the hand soap dispensers. So, Yoshkitty, keep it up, challenge bad behavior as I do and make the cruising experience as enjoyable as it should be - for the majority.

Whilst I agree with the sentiments I personally totally disagree with the advice unless....

If both yourself and your husband do not mind a confrontation and both you and your husband are prepared for just about any type of abuse or perish the thought.... assault then once more, do as is recommended.

I totally accept you are in the right but trust me when I say being in the right does not offer any protection...

A motorcyclist might be in the right when they ride across a road junction, but if an ignorant driver in a car decides to flout the rules of the road..... Being right offers no protection.

Is it not better to think before putting mouth into gear??:eek::o As said previously, if you think the plate is contaminated, then why not politely ask the ship's staff to remove it?

We are all good kids loading the revolver, but perhaps we might not be so quick to pull the trigger! ;)

In life I have always found that no matter how big we think we are, there are always folks that are bigger.

why invite or provoke confrontation?

Just my personal observations

Regards

John

Whilst I agree with the sentiments I personally totally disagree with the advice unless....

If both yourself and your husband do not mind a confrontation and both you and your husband are prepared for just about any type of abuse or perish the thought.... assault then once more, do as is recommended.

I totally accept you are in the right but trust me when I say being in the right does not offer any protection...

A motorcyclist might be in the right when they ride across a road junction, but if an ignorant driver in a car decides to flout the rules of the road..... Being right offers no protection.

Is it not better to think before putting mouth into gear??:eek::o As said previously, if you think the plate is contaminated, then why not politely ask the ship's staff to remove it?

We are all good kids loading the revolver, but perhaps we might not be so quick to pull the trigger! ;)

In life I have always found that no matter how big we think we are, there are always folks that are bigger.

why invite or provoke confrontation?

Just my personal observations

Regards

John

Was the question not whether this behaviour was rude, wasn't it? :confused:

Was the question not whether this behaviour was rude, wasn't it? :confused:
I'm sorry but I cannot understand what you are trying to say. My bad, but if you are querying whether the author asked were they rude, then none of us were present to witness the incident and hear what was said or indeed how it was said. Especially as we now hear these words might not have come across in the most pleasant of ways (no disrepect to the author)

I do feel however that even though I was not present, I can offer my two penarth, especially having witnessed any number of petty altercations that slowly got out of control.

I'm sorry but I cannot understand what you are trying to say. My bad, but if you are querying whether the author asked were they rude, then none of us were present to witness the incident and hear what was said or indeed how it was said. Especially as we now hear these words might not have come across in the most pleasant of ways (no disrepect to the author)

I do feel however that even though I was not present, I can offer my two penarth, especially having witnessed any number of petty altercations that slowly got out of control.

The author wanted to know if she was rude, not if she was right ... Anyway, I think that compared to what it was really about, the discussion or the way it developed was out of proportion.

I thank you for bringing this up.

It made me think of how best to handle the situation.

If it were to happen in front of me in the future I will simply take the plate and move it elsewhere. (To a place where it will be removed from the serving area even if it means that I lose my place in line.)

I do not think it necessary to correct the actions of others unless there is immediate harm involved. How sanitary do you consider the back of the chair you pull out when you sit at the table? How sanitary is the actual table top, or the salt and pepper shaker? Life involves some big risks.

Sometimes it is better to be happy than right.

Sometimes in life, as in bottled soft drinks, it is better to chill after opening it.

Edited by bananavan

I thank you for bringing this up.

It made me think of how best to handle the situation.

If it were to happen in front of me in the future I will simply take the plate and move it elsewhere. (To a place where it will be removed from the serving area even if it means that I lose my place in line.)

I do not think it necessary to correct the actions of others unless there is immediate harm involved. How sanitary do you consider the back of the chair you pull out when you sit at the table? How sanitary is the actual table top, or the salt and pepper shaker? Life involves some big risks.

Sometimes it is better to be happy than right.

Sometimes in life, as in bottled soft drinks, it is better to chill after opening it.

Very well said and hopefully the author will accept my post in the spirit it was meant?:o;) I most certainly am not being critical of anyone, I am really suggesting what I might do and the reasons why.

. How sanitary do you consider the back of the chair you pull out when you sit at the table?

Where is the

most unsanitary place in the dining room? The chair seat (think about it)

But you are correct, it's possible to go over the top on life's risks.

I try to avoid touching the hand rails on the way to dinner, and risk falling down the stairs.

David

I agree it was unsanitary to touch a plate or any cutlery and then put it back. If I pick up a plate and then change my mind I leave it somewhere else where it won't be used.

However I felt it unnecessary to say she was British - as if that made any difference??

We just came back home from our TA crossing today.

It was our second crossing in this year and we enjoyed it as much as the first time. We were happily surprised that some (3) crew members remember us from June! :D Overall, we had a very lovely time on the QM2 and looking forward to sail with her as soon as possible. :D

I would like to share this small incident happened in the Kings Court with you.

I was at the buffet where the salad/cake were located. I was lining up to get a plate. This British woman in front of me touched the middle of the plate with her whole palm :eek: She didn't get that plate and went away to get another plate. Then I said: 'You touched the plate. I can't believe it.'

She said she wanted to test the temperature of the plate and said I was rude and I should keep my opinion to myself. (I talked in a normal tone.) I told her it's not my opinion but it's just a statement. At this time, both of our husbands joined in. My husband explained to her about the virus...etc. Then they called my husband a silly man.

I was rude and my husband was a silly man

Well you were not .

Some Golden Rules my better half follows as she has lost :p her Spleen

Go to the middle of the stack to get the plate if you can.

Dig into the cutlery handle end. Just in case someone sneezed all over them .

Open / Close anything you can manage with the Back of your hand

Go to the middle /back for Magazines / Papers etc

Always go to the back/bottom for anything in SuperMarkets as it is newer / fresher

Always wash your hands. Dont touch your eyes / nose / mouth unless you are 110% sure they are clean.

Avoid lifts if possible . ie walk up the stairs as it is healthier anyway.

and other suggestions welcome especially in a new room / cabin /suite in

regards to the bedding .:eek: