Was I rude?? QM2 TA Oct 27

Yoshikitty

At the end the woman took that plate and left it aside.

So then she wasn't all that bad. She took the plate she put her hands on.

why didn't tell the whole story? :rolleyes:

The OP was justifiably upset about being called rude and her husband being called silly. She was asking about her own actions in the circumstances, and what she should have done. What the woman did to the plate in the end, actually made no difference to the OP's question.

bring your dishes sounds like a good idea, the plastic ones. In School buffet at lunch time , the Students are given styrofoam trays, with compartments for

different foods. Clean,disposable. Styrofoam trays may be the solution here.

I should copyright* my idea. :cool:

no Styrofoam. Can you imagine that washing up on shore after being blown over board. It would lead to more restrictions I am sure.

The OP was justifiably upset about being called rude and her husband being called silly. She was asking about her own actions in the circumstances, and what she should have done. What the woman did to the plate in the end, actually made no difference to the OP's question.

Thanks for defending me :D

Sorry, I should have mentioned about what happened to the plate on my first post. But it was put aside after I was called rude and hubby a silly man.

Frankly speaking, I would not post this incident at all if we were not insulted. ;)

I'm confused about whether she was touching the "food" surface or the "table" surface of the plate (usually I've seen the plates in the warmer upside down). If she was touching the underside (topside in the upside-down stack) then I probably would not have mentioned it.

I'm confused about whether she was touching the "food" surface or the "table" surface of the plate (usually I've seen the plates in the warmer upside down). If she was touching the underside (topside in the upside-down stack) then I probably would not have mentioned it.

She touched the food surface of the plate. That plate was placed at the salad/dessert station.

You did nothing wrong. The other lady not only was rude but a clueless moron who didn't know that she could be transmitting god knows what by contaminating the plate. You were nice compared to what I would have said.
Very well said, thank you.

Well done Yoshikitty, you've my full support, I hope the "lady" will pause and think about her intended actions in future, after hearing your very valid comments to her.

I also hope that she reads this forum.

Edited by pepperrn

Even if the lady had touched the bottom of the plate, she could have passed on any number of viruses or bacteria to the hapless person whom picked up the contaminated plate. To touch the plate anywhere at all on its surface was inconsiderate, and more importantly a potential health hazard. Then for her to call the OP rude was boorish to say the least.

Getting on the ship one time in Southampton, the woman giving out the health forms was licking her fingers before giving out each form. Putting her saliva all over a health form no less! What a dirty thicko. I was very tempted to say something to her and afterwards I wished I had.

(BTW why do some people lick their fingers before touching newspapers etc? It doesn't improve moving the paper and it's disgusting.)

Even if the lady had touched the bottom of the plate, she could have passed on any number of viruses or bacteria to the hapless person whom picked up the contaminated plate. To touch the plate anywhere at all on its surface was inconsiderate, and more importantly a potential health hazard.
With that view of the world you might consider staying home where it's safe.
Then for her to call the OP rude was boorish to say the least
Probably.

With that view of the world you might consider staying home where it's safe.

No problem for me. I just came back from a cruise to the Holy Land without a hitch. My immune system worked well, but some of my patients are not as lucky. Unfortunately, there are those due to preexisting health issues that could be killed by an enteric virus such as the Norwalk Like Virus or C-Diff. A stuffy nose and cold from a rhinovirus would not particularly enhance a persons trip either.

There were some hidden camera shots years ago- taken in kitchens , while prepareing buffets etc. Some staff member spit in the soup before serving them- I have no idea if they were faked- but anyway- sometimes it is better not to see EVERYTHING! Just don´t let you fantasie run wild. The observation of the lady testing the temprature of the plate would have turned me to mention similar words to her. I suppose she was just plain thoughtless and got embarrassed and went into defense mood- or she was plain stupid- someting she acused the OP´s husband to be... when really she was the one.. oh well! Some people would be better suited for the camping ground - nof offense to those dy hart camping people of course!

Edited by Germancruiser

Well I'm grateful for this thread.

I am guilty of this behaviour and am mortified.

The plates on Celebrity are stacked upside down and I do put my hands on them to make sure that I have a cold plate for cold food and a hot plate (if available) for hot food.

I won't be doing it again - I just didn't think!

At this time, both of our husbands joined in.

We never have any idea regarding the temperament or behaviour of strangers that we decide to admonish.. Your choice your decision.

I have no idea if you were rude as I was not there to witness what was said, or indeed how it was said but when husbands start to defend wives, things might escalate, your decision, your risk. Would it have been better to have perhaps consider asking a member of staff to possibly remove this 'soiled' plate if you believed it to be contaminated?

Living in another country than my own and having worked in an international environment for most of my working life, I have observed many times that the German language is often perceived of being 'rude' compared to the English language and by those who do not master it. The reason might be the melody of the language, which for some ears seems to be very strict and the fact that some have a German accent when speaking English. In this context it is interesting to know that both the German and the English language have many similarities and even common roots.

I heard exactly the same- my english though almost fluent is with a strong german accent and I often hear that I sound rather " harsh" , strong or as the previous poster mentioned strict! It´s is really funny when we heard old speaches from german politicans wether it was in the first republic or in the era of the following desaster in shool - those speaches really were hart, strict and on purpose- for rhetoric reasons. I suppose speaches from that time gave the german language the label of beeing that way!

I heard exactly the same- my english though almost fluent is with a strong german accent and I often hear that I sound rather " harsh" , strong or as the previous poster mentioned strict! It´s is really funny when we heard old speaches from german politicans wether it was in the first republic or in the era of the following desaster in shool - those speaches really were hart, strict and on purpose- for rhetoric reasons. I suppose speaches from that time gave the german language the label of beeing that way!

Germancruiser, my compliments on your language skills. Just to mention that speeches made by some current politicians in my country sound rather harsh to me. Happily, when we travel we meet new friends and learn things that we all have in common.

mit beste Grüße

Salacia

There are some languages that aren't as pleasant to the ear. Chinese is one, German another. I love hearing French though. English? Meh, depends on who is speaking it and their intonation.

Just my personal experience, but any language spoken in bitter anger is never pleasant to the ear. :eek:

We just came back home from our TA crossing today.

It was our second crossing in this year and we enjoyed it as much as the first time. We were happily surprised that some (3) crew members remember us from June! :D Overall, we had a very lovely time on the QM2 and looking forward to sail with her as soon as possible. :D

I would like to share this small incident happened in the Kings Court with you.

I was at the buffet where the salad/cake were located. I was lining up to get a plate. This British woman in front of me touched the middle of the plate with her whole palm :eek: She didn't get that plate and went away to get another plate. Then I said: 'You touched the plate. I can't believe it.'

She said she wanted to test the temperature of the plate and said I was rude and I should keep my opinion to myself. (I talked in a normal tone.) I told her it's not my opinion but it's just a statement. At this time, both of our husbands joined in. My husband explained to her about the virus...etc. Then they called my husband a silly man.

I was rude and my husband was a silly man.:mad:

We were speechless. :confused:

Actually, truth be told, while you were in the right to point out the unsanitary manner in which she handled the plate, handling it passively aggressively (not intending to offend by any means) stating, 'You touched the plate. I can't believe it,' was tantamount to being rude, no matter how 'normal' you sounded. Maybe she would have had a different response with something said conversationally like, 'Excuse me, if you're not going to take that plate you touched, would you mind putting it aside? You know how easily it is for germs to spread on a ship.'

Nine times out of ten, if we are more cognizant of our ability to say things so as not to offend, we have a greater shot at getting people to be aware and behave as they should.

My husband had a similar experience on a cruise we had this year and when he suggested the man be more considerate of other diners, the man threatened him. Some people you just can't win with, but we can only control how we respond to situations, not how others respond.

I have a universal phrase I use in instances where I think something needs to be said. "Nice!!" said in an approving manner followed by, "That's the most uncouth thing I've seen on this cruise.".

It confuses the heck out of people.

Carnival Destiny jan 2010

Carnival Liberty 9/28/13

Carnival Victory 10/5/13

Carnival Sensation 3/9/14

Carnival Sensation 3/14/14