Jury summons during my upcoming cruise

Bevv

Saturday I got a bright yellow postcard telling me that I have a summons for jury duty on on Dec 3rd.. when I will be in Cozumel on the Elation. ... Court is closed today, so off I go when I wake up tomorrow (I work swing shift) to the courthouse with paperwork to show the conflict.

Since it is Municipal Court, I do not anticipate a problem, but I do have travel insurance that covers it, just in case.

Has anyone NOT been able to reschedule the jury duty?

Edited by Bevv

Saturday I got a bright yellow postcard telling me that I have a summons for jury duty on on Dec 3rd.. when I will be in Cozumel on the Elation. ... Court is closed today, so off I go when I wake up tomorrow (I work swing shift) to the courthouse with paperwork to show the conflict.

Since it is Municipal Court, I do not anticipate a problem, but I do have travel insurance that covers it, just in case.

Usually where I live they pretty much let you re-schedule for almost any reason ONCE.

Don't think you will have any problem getting it rescheduled. probably could do it over the phone.

You shouldn't have any trouble. In May, I received a jury summons and we were scheduled to be in Cancun on vacation over that time period. I called in, and they told me they would just bump me back a month. The next month I received another one. It really wasn't a big deal. Good luck.

Just postpone it.

I received one for Sept and even though my cruise wasn't until Nov, I needed to reschedule because I am taking an accounting class at a community college and I cannot miss more than 4 classes. I will be missing two b/c of my Nov cruise and b/c I suffer from migraines and wanted a little cushion in case I missed a class or two, I needed to reschedule the jury duty.

They had an option online to reschedule and i got all nervous about whether to put in details about my cruise and school and why I wanted to reschedule. I decided to just tell them about school and leave out the cruise b/c last time I had jury duty, the judge didn't want to hear diddly squat about people's vacations being a valid reason for being excused as a juror. The SECOND I hit "send" on my request, it was accepted...so basically, they didn't even read it.

I go back on Fri, December 13. I picked a Friday hoping they wouldn't start a new trials or need jury peeps on a Friday....wishful thinking, right?

I'm in Illinois and it happened to me once. There was no phone number to call on the summons but there was an address to send proof of any medical reason's you might have that would prevent you from serving. It wasn't a medical reason but I mailed in a copy of my itinerary to that address anyway. I didn't hear anything back but of course, I went on my cruise anyway. Then a month or 2 after my cruise I received another summons. That time I was able to serve.

They can't make you go ....period

Your trip trumps the summons . The only thing they might want to see is proof that you have a trip scheduled .

They can't make you go? A court can make you do whatever.. Will they postpone because of a trip probably so but you could always get that one judge..

I work with a lady who is in a senior-level management position, in Texas. She received her cursed notification in the mail summoning her the first day of a planned week long vacation. Her house sold just before her vacation so she had to cancel her plans in order to move out on very short notice. Despite this the court would not release her - and she ended up being the jury foreman. What luck!

I know a couple that is 50 years old (as well as a few other friends) and they have been trashing the summons for over 30 years. They don't do anything to enforce it. I am not saying I agree with this but I will say I wouldn't miss a vacation over it. I wouldn't worry about it.

I got a summon to Federal Jury Duty for the month of October last year. We had a cruise planned and paif for. They allow for 1 week out of the 4 for already scheduled vacations etc. They noted my record and it wasn't a problem.

You definately do not want to just not show up for a federal summons!

Or another way never to be called again is to join the Fully Informed Jurors Association and wear one of their tee shirts. Judges and prosecutors hate that organization because they teach people that they have a consitutional right to nulify any law they disagree with. Once they see that, you will never get called back.

I got one last year before going a cruise. Here in MO they send you a card that you can mail back with a reason why you can't serve. I just put on was going on vacation and they sent back another card saying I was excused very painless.

They can't make you go ....period

Your trip trumps the summons . The only thing they might want to see is proof that you have a trip scheduled .

No, they can't MAKE you go, but they CAN issue a bench warrant for contempt of court if you don't show or make arrangements. (DH is a retired judge, he would have a day to show up and explain why you can't serve at that time. Usually he would excuse a vacation.)

Same thing happened to my Sister-in-law and she was rescheduled, about 2 weeks later she was summons again.

Since they send a post card type jury duty summons, how can they prove you received it?

I would think in order to hold you accountable, they would have to send them certified mail.

This is something I freak out about because I used to get them every other year or so and now I haven't got one in about six years.

I wonder if I have a warrant for my arrest? :eek: