What's the purpose of the tasting bar?

4merlurker

I don't get it. :confused: On a ship where there are multiple places to eat and one could NEVER starve what is the purpose of tiny little plates of food to consume before dinner? Isn't that what appetizers are for? Is it to sample the food from the dining room, the steakhouse or other pay venues? :confused:

Just curious why they replaced the sushi bar with the taste bar on the splendor?

~C

my take is there is an overall "trend" in the US for "small plate" menus and this "tasting" kinda hits that trend, while promoting the offerings of the "surcharge" dining options (where available).

It's also a way to provide something "new/different" to past pax, who have already had the sushi, while still utilizing the same footprint (and probably at a low overhead increase).

I liked the sushi, but I'm interested in trying the Taste Bar options on my upcoming trip.

It would be great if they would offer both, but I'm sure they looked at the hard numbers, and felt that changing this expereince made sense (based on consumption/cost/pax reviews/etc).

We were disappointed to see that the taste bar replaced the sushi on the Victory.... especially since the Victory doesnt currently have any pay for restaurants ( no steakhouse). Much rather have the sushi, it was always super busy so we were surprised.

I have seen some people post that on some ships they have found sushi in the buffet so we will have to keep our fingers crossed.

We liked the taste bar, it was a good spot to grab a TINY bit of food between our afternoon nap and dinner. On Liberty it's right near the Martini bar, nice to have some food in your belly before hitting the drinks. We enjoyed everything we had there. Had some yummy soups, but can't say that they weren't made with chicken broth. Sorry can't help with the vegetarian question.

I'm sure they could find a spot on the buffet somewhere for sushi??? :o

Wouldn't want to eat Sushi from a buffet - rather have it made fresh in front of me like they used to do it at the Taste Bars.

my take is there is an overall "trend" in the US for "small plate" menus and this "tasting" kinda hits that trend, while promoting the offerings of the "surcharge" dining options (where available).

^^ This. :) I'm a big fan of pre-dinner cocktails, so having the "small plate" available is a nice bonus. Several of the selections are really, really good, too - the pulled pork from the Blue Iguana was one of the best dishes I had my entire cruise. Don't ask me how I resisted the temptation to ask for more than one plate!! [Disclaimer: I don't eat sushi. I can understand if you're a sushi fan, why you would be unhappy with the change.]

The sushi trumps the taste bar, in my opinion.

Carnival - Please bring back the sushi bar!

As you and several others have said BRING BACK SUSHI! I haven't liked the taste bar and see lots of dishes with food left on them. Suski was much better. Great to grab a bite before late dinner.

Legend doesn't even have it on Lido any more. The guy who makes it told me they will add the Bonsai Sushi place with 2.0 during drydock.