Luggage tags - what a difference.

The demise of printed luggage tags has been well covered already on here and no doubt some junior executive is eating his way through the Boston Red Lobster coupon book awarded in gratitude of his hundred thousand dollar worldwide saving.

But what is the long term affect of such a seemingly trivial omission from the RCL experience. Ignoring lost luggage and extra work for staff trying to marry underpants to wearer does the policy water down the excitement of an imminent cruises.

This lot turned up in the post the other day from Seabourn and it really set the juices flowing.

Seabournluggagetags_zpsf6335947.jpg

Yes I know a Seabourn cruise is potentially more expensive than some of the cabins on RCL but pro-rata there are some considerably more expensive cabins on RCL ships compared to our humble cupboard aside the engine room.

I wonder if it wasn't just a saving too far ? Would it have been better to add $10 to each passenger and use the immense buying power of RCI to deliver a perceived $50 benefit?

Henry :)

The demise of printed luggage tags has been well covered already on here and no doubt some junior executive is eating his way through the Boston Red Lobster coupon book awarded in gratitude of his hundred thousand dollar worldwide saving.

But what is the long term affect of such a seemingly trivial omission from the RCL experience. Ignoring lost luggage and extra work for staff trying to marry underpants to wearer does the policy water down the excitement of an imminent cruises.

This lot turned up in the post the other day from Seabourn and it really set the juices flowing.

Yes I know a Seabourn cruise is potentially more expensive than some of the cabins on RCL but pro-rata there are some considerably more expensive cabins on RCL ships compared to our humble cupboard aside the engine room.

I wonder if it wasn't just a saving too far ? Would it have been better to add $10 to each passenger and use the immense buying power of RCI to deliver a perceived $50 benefit?

Full suites and Pinnacle Club still get luggage tags.

I know how you feel. I remember the days when the Cruise Docs and Luggage Tags would show up in the mail. It meant the cruise was just around the corner! Oh the excitement. It was like waking up on Christmas Morning and seeing the presents under the tree. Miss those days.

However it is nice not worrying when they'll show. Just go on line, download the Cruise Docs, print the tags and there you go. For me the excitement comes when the Cruise Docs are issued and the SetSail pass is printed.

Computer age, you know?

You answered your own question

I was making a comparison which hadn't been made before and thinking in wider terms than just the tags themselves.

This will be our first Cruise with Seabourn, we are veterans on RCL. I will be interested to see what comparisons can be made. I haven't given up on RCI, we've just booked a party of 20 odd for August '14.

Yes they are nice Teddie. Bodes well for the cruise.

I know how you feel. I remember the days when the Cruise Docs and Luggage Tags would show up in the mail. It meant the cruise was just around the corner! Oh the excitement. It was like waking up on Christmas Morning and seeing the presents under the tree. Miss those days.

However it is nice not worrying when they'll show. Just go on line, download the Cruise Docs, print the tags and there you go. For me the excitement comes when the Cruise Docs are issued and the SetSail pass is printed.

Computer age, you know?

I agree:). Regardless of how I receive my documents, seeing that they've been issued makes my heart skip a beat. I don't have to wait for my travel agent to call me and tell me that she has them, or wait for days for the mail to come just to get them. I go online, print them out (in color mind you) and then I'm ready to go. I'm doing a short cruise this year because after my Freedom cruise in September, I can't wait another year for a cruise. Look out Enchantment, I'm coming back:D

Happy Cruising to All

I understand your question, but it is not a good comparison. Seabourn is Carnival's premium line. So if you compare the two you are comparing Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines "lowest" level cruise company (Royal Caribbean) to one of Carnival Corporations most premium lines (Seabourn).

So the real comparison would be Azamara Club Cruises to Seabourn or Carnival Cruise Lines to Royal Caribbean International.

Just so I understand...

Your gauge to compare Seabourne to Royal Caribbean is a "humble cupboard aside the engine room" on Seabourne vs some of "the more expensive cabins" on Royal?

Just for reference, do you mind sharing how much the Seabourne cruise costs?

Also, as has been pointed out, those in GS and above (and Pinnacle) get the beloved old school luggage tags mailed to them. I believe those are the cabins you were referring to with Royal?

Why are we comparing a mass market cruise line aimed at the average joe, to an upscale, luxury cruise line aimed at the discerning few? :confused:

I miss cruise ship luggage tags as much as I miss going to a local travel agency to book airfare and have airline tickets and boarding passes printed there. :rolleyes:

Cruise ship luggage tags and documents may be nostalgic, but they belong in the memory box along with old 8- tracks, VCR's, typewriters, and other things that are useless these days.

Edited by Tapi

Full suites and Pinnacle Club still get luggage tags.

But not like those! Ours were full-colour paper tags, to be applied the same way (wrapped around the handle and stuck to themselves) as airline bag tags.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk, please excuse wonky autocorrects.

]I know how you feel. I remember the days when the Cruise Docs and Luggage Tags would show up in the mail. It meant the cruise was just around the corner! Oh the excitement. It was like waking up on Christmas Morning and seeing the presents under the tree.[/b] Miss those days.

However it is nice not worrying when they'll show. Just go on line' date=' download the Cruise Docs, print the tags and there you go. For me the excitement comes when the Cruise Docs are issued and the SetSail pass is printed.

Computer age, you know?[/quote']

Maybe so, but the RCI tags never looked like the Seabourn ones. The "present" was the colored self adhesive type.

IMO the type of luggage tags or cruise document holder would have no bearing on my enjoyment of the cruise. And I'm sure with the premium cost of a Seabourn cruise compared to other mass marked lines, those items are more than paid for by the customer.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I still have no clue why luggage tags mailed to you are such a big deal. Print them off, tape them on, luggage shows up just like it always has.

I usually don't try to figure out what motivates someone unless of course they work for me. That said, why ask why? Especially here where everyday someone points out something they miss about cruising.

Sent from my Bat Phone

These, or non-logo ones from other places work just as well. For a one time expenditure of $10 they can be used over and over rather than $10 each cruise. Granted, they don't have the upscale look of the Seabourn ones but in the end, they get the job done and even they aren't necessary.

luggagetag_holder.jpg

These, or non-logo ones from other places work just as well. For a one time expenditure of $10 they can be used over and over rather than $10 each cruise. Granted, they don't have the upscale look of the Seabourn ones but in the end, they get the job done and even they aren't necessary.

luggagetag_holder.jpg

Hey iheartbda - where did you get these? Looks easier than wrapping them in shipping tape which is what I always do!

Hey iheartbda - where did you get these? Looks easier than wrapping them in shipping tape which is what I always do!

I ordered the Cruise Critic luggage tags online last year. Forgot how much they cost but they were very inexpensive and sooooo worth it. Yep, I miss the mailed tags, but the printed out ones are simple to work with. Cut, fold, tape, then shove it in the CC tag holder. Kind of reminded me of kindergarten Arts & Crafts...LOL;)

But what is the long term affect of such a seemingly trivial omission from the RCL experience. Ignoring lost luggage and extra work for staff trying to marry underpants to wearer does the policy water down the excitement of an imminent cruises.[/QUOte]

I´m not sure what lost luggage you are talking about?:confused: I´ve yet to see increasing reports of lost luggage, but maybe you have some inside knowledge about an increase of lost luggage since the luggage tags went self print.

I´m always glad to see someone thinking about the hard working crew and worrying about them having extra work.

So did it cross your mind how much extra work these great looking luggage tags from Seabourn will impose to the crew?

From the Picture those luggage tags will be closed when attached to the luggage, which I appreciate for privacy reasons, but then of course the crew delivering the suitcases will have to open up each single luggage tag to have a look "inside". This will have to be done multiple times of course - loading onto the right cart - offloading the cart - delivery to cabin.

I´m sorry but while I agree on them looking nice I think compared to RCI´s they are not a genious idea.

It might impress you enough to be willing to spend $10 more. It totally fails on me. As others said I enjoy getting my docs right away, being able to save them on my Computer, print them as often as I like, not having to pick them up at some TA or wait for mail delivery. If I had to Chose between printed docs and edocs I might even pay $10 more to get edocs.;)

So my answer is, nope, definitely not a savings too far, but a Logical and great step into the right direction.

You can get them here with two sizes available.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/store/

I bought mine online at another place, sorry CC, and I bought the larger ones since we don't always sail on Royal Caribbean and some of the other lines have bigger tags.;):)

Back to the OP. I want something for tangible for $10 rather than a perception of something maybe worth $50. Also, I'm sure there are mountains of people who would not like $10 added for something they don't care about.

Henry, I love those tags, too. And no, luggage tags aren't critical to my enjoyment of a cruise, but so often it's the small touches that really make a difference. I agree, those tags promise a great experience! :D

One of these days I'd love to give Seabourne a try, so I for one will look forward to your comparisons when you return.

Have a fantastic trip!

Henry, I love those tags, too. And no, luggage tags aren't critical to my enjoyment of a cruise, but so often it's the small touches that really make a difference. I agree, those tags promise a great experience! :D

One of these days I'd love to give Seabourne a try, so I for one will look forward to your comparisons when you return.

Have a fantastic trip!

Think about this for a minute. If I'm correct, Seabourn ships are all suites with no more than 229. If the chocolates were eliminated to cut costs, do you think Royal Caribbean would provide these tags as a small touch?;)

The horse has been dead for a while now, but its still ridiculous IMO that Royal Caribbean cut out the luggage tags. I understand the need to "trim the fat" but I don't think any of the upper management is suffering.

I'd be fine paying $5 to have luggage tags sent to me, but the $40 is a joke. It's just a hassle having to print them in color, cut them out, laminate them in case it's raining, etc. It takes two seconds to stick them on with the mailed kind. Not to mention it was always exciting finding them in the mailbox 6 weeks before the cruise :D.

Rant over, back on topic, those are very nice, but we aren't exactly comparing apples and apples here!