No longer loyal to Royal... just booked a 14 nighter transatlantic on Norwegian Epic

voyager89

AOS has no wifi until dry dock in 2014. Our cabin stewart on the AOS was the worst we've ever had. We were seated with a family with two children on the AOS. We requested a change after the first night and were seated with a couple to whom English was a challenge. Tough to carry on a conversation as we didn't speak their language. My husband blamed the problems on the management of the AOS. We had meetings with hotel director etc...had no idea of how to fix the problem.

Edited by Granny DI

I´m sorry I meant we dont use the MDR :p

The only thing I am not a fan of yet is that there are A LOT of pay restaurants, looks like most of them are. The complimentary restaurants dont even have a name lol. Its ok in the end we are buffet people :D and that pool grill looks great.

Its a long way to go, I know I shouldnt even be worried about this yet. Jewel of the Seas in January is coming up first!! :cool:

You may want to rethink this on NCL.. they have the worst buffet and MDR food I've ever had.

Having only one cruise under my sleeve (Oasis) and an upcoming one (Jewel) I think this is the perfect time to try other lines, while I hate going on such a long cruise that wont count towards my C&A status :D

I have been on NCL (not the Epic) Oasis, and the Jewel. Like many people, I like all cruises for various reasons and differences. My one comment to you is to tell you that the Jewel is very very different from Oasis. Very different. Small ship, not the bells and whistles of the big big ships. So your experience will be different and I hope you like all your varying cruises. You do sound like you will!

[You may want to rethink this on NCL.. they have the worst buffet and MDR food I've ever had!

We plan to only eat in specialty restaurants on the Breakaway as I did on the Epic. We went to specialty restaurants after the first two nights on the Oasis. We felt the service and food were lacking. The specialty restaurants on the Oasis aren't as good as on the Epic...just my opinion. We don't generally do buffets unless traveling with the grandchildren. We feel the best food we've ever eaten in the MDR was on the old Norwegian Crown. Nothing has come close in the last 15 years.

I have enjoyed my ncl cruises. Matter of fact I am probably more apt to choose ncl over rccl unless there is a significant price difference particularly for suite accommodations. Ncl just does suite perks better in my opinion.

Im 50 and been on 50 cruises so far. In the past we have gone on NCL to say we won't go on again (for a few reasons) but eventually found ourselves going on NCL in few years later to say never again.

We have family that wanted to go on the Breakaway this past June and wanted us to go, with all my not wanting to go we went because being with family will be fun and that is what is important. My father in law and my other half and myself HATED the Breakaway for too many reasons! I have to say out of all my cruises this one was my most disliked cruise ever.

Rc we always felt wanted, comfortable the staff is highly helpful, professional and friendly totally opposite of what we had on the Breakaway. I also have to be gluten free so I basically eat meat carvings, veggies, salads and potato during the lunch buffets, well the only time we were given a meat carving was the first day boarding, no other days did they have a meat carving (heck, even Carnival offers daily lunch buffet meat carvings), all the veggies had sauces/gravies full of gluten and the salad bar was the smallest we ever seen with only the very basics. At night past 10pm the food you can get is at O'Sheehans all gluten foods and only eight items to choose from and they were all gluten minus the French fries that is all I was able to eat past 10pm, never again NCL!

Its not just about the food but the overall cruise experience on NCL is not for us.

Edited by lyndamr

Having only one cruise under my sleeve (Oasis) and an upcoming one (Jewel) I think this is the perfect time to try other lines, while I hate going on such a long cruise that wont count towards my C&A status :D

We are taking the NCL´s Epic from Barcelona to Miami in almost a year. Visiting Funchal Madeira and St Maarten / St Thomas (third time by then in SM, second in ST) Of course the destinations are the ship, Barcelona (first time there) and Miami (second)

We dont do MTD so the freestyle concept is perfect for us. The ship looks terrific, but I am not sure if it will beat Oasis!

I have seen several RCI people do not like NCL at all. I was hoping to see if there is somebody here that enjoys both lines.

I'm not going to read the entire thread...I don't know if there will be, but I'm not in the mood for we're better/they're worse discussion from either direction.

My only comment is you couldn't pay me enough money to make my first cruise on any new cruiseline a 14-day (all right, I lie, you could probably pay me enough). I wouldn't make the choice to take a first cruise as anything less than a 4/5 day nor anything more than a 7 day. Too short and I think you won't get a fair feel of a real cruise, but too long and just imagine if you hate their product.

Edited by KarinaGW

Too short and I think you won't get a fair feel of a real cruise, but too long and just imagine if you hate their product.

I wouldn't worry about that -we've been on a lot of ships and cruise lines, and and we've loved them all! so far! (of course we loved some, more than others ;))

. At night past 10pm the food you can get is at O'Sheehans all gluten foods and only eight items to choose from and they were all gluten minus the French fries that is all I was able to eat past 10pm, never again NCL!

What RCCL ship has gluten free dining option after 10pm?:confused:

The Oasis class and Freedom class offer gluten free items. I been on the Liberty of the Seas twice and her sister ship Freedom of the Seas three times since 07 and in the café promenade they serve different types of marinated veggies, salads, mozzarella and tomatoes, various Italian salamis and cheeses. In Sorrentos they did have gluten free pizza. Where they served the burgers they had potato chips and French fries. The Café Promenade had various sandwiches turkey and cheese, ham and cheese, etc. and what I did was take the meat off the bread and ate the meat only. The Allure and Oasis has both the promenade café and sorrentos. :)

Edited by lyndamr

in the café promenade they serve different types of marinated veggies, salads, mozzarella and tomatoes, various Italian salamis and cheeses. In Sorrentos they did have gluten free pizza. Where they served the burgers they had potato chips and French fries.

They serve these after 10pm? on Freedom class?

I have done a few NCL cruises and one on the liberty recently. Although neither of those is a big enough sample size to proof anything both cruise lines are more similar than different. The one disadvantage of the Epic is the missing outdoor space with seats and a view on decks 7.

Thank you all for your insights

I understand the part about the food being very subjective. We are not picky eaters, I am even fine at Sirloin Stockade lol or at a mid priced Vegas buffet. I don't really think that I will have trouble with the food. Maybe because it was our first cruise but on the Oasis we found everything was pretty much perfect. Food, staff, facilities etc. maybe when we get to cruise some more we will start to spot differences and areas of opportunity. With only that cruise so far we are very happy with Royals product. I only wish the Oasis had a couple of slides ha.

I have been on NCL (not the Epic) Oasis, and the Jewel. Like many people, I like all cruises for various reasons and differences. My one comment to you is to tell you that the Jewel is very very different from Oasis. Very different. Small ship, not the bells and whistles of the big big ships. So your experience will be different and I hope you like all your varying cruises. You do sound like you will!

I will!!! I know the Jewel can't hold a candle on the Oasis when it comes to food venues, entertainment etc but that's exactly what we wanted, a way smaller ship to experiment we are actually at sea. Plus, the ports we will visit are beautiful. We are really looking forward to the other side of cruising. The Jewel is not that small still, but I am thinking it has a feel of a mega yacht rather that a floating hotel haha. Not dissing Oasis of course which I loved and would come back in a heartbeat

Hiram

We've been on two cruises on the Epic, the last one being just a few days ago. Personally, we were disappointed. The ship is, indeed, beautiful. But I never thought the lack of an outdoor walking/jogging deck would really matter, but it did. The ship was extremely crowded and hard to get around. On most cruises you can step outside for a breath of fresh air or to use a short-cut to another location.

Was really hard to find a quiet place. They have a "quiet zone" deck which is on the very top, but it has no shade and is very windy. We tried it 3 times and had to leave after only a few minutes.

To each their own. Just my 2 cents worth.

They will have pizza, small sandwiches, salads, fruit, cookies, and small desserts.

OK Thanks, Havnt been on Freedom class. I didn't remember seeing salads or fruit at the promenade cafe late at night on any of our Voyager class cruises.

To the OP go register at NCL and get in the Latitudes rewards.

https://www.ncl.com/cas/login?service=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ncl.com%2Fbge%2Fmy-account

You will also get double points for booking greater than 9 months out.

SO you will jump past their bronze level and be silver after your first cruise:D

Edited by jonbgd

I have cruised with NCL for a total of four times. My first cruise in 1986 was on NCL so they hold a special place for me but I cruised on the Star and Dawn and without a doubt both were the worst MDR and lido dining experience in almost thirty years of cruising. The specialty restaurants were fine but of course you have to pay for that.

Ships were nice but IMHO RCI blew them away in this area. I have no desire to cruise on the Epic or the other newbuilds. They just don't interest me.

Edited by cruisingator2

I've sailed RCCL once and NCL twice now, and really enjoyed both lines. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as others, but wanted throw in my two cents regarding the Epic.

We cruised on the Epic in January of this year and loved it! We did get engaged on the ship, so there's a fond place for it in my heart. The ship was full and busy, but we somehow managed to avoid the crowds everywhere except the pool deck. The pool decks were always busy. We ate in the buffet one night and the MDRs (Taste and Manhattan dining rooms) other nights, and only had to wait to be seated in the MDR one night. Complimentary glasses of champagne and a pager were given to us, and our wait was just 15 minutes. Food and service were good in both places. Since you're not picky eaters, you should be good to go there! We enjoy the Freestyle dining and laid-back atmosphere of NCL ships. My parents are now on their 6th NCL cruise in two years as well.

If you get a chance, go bowling when you're on the Epic! We still managed a decent score, even though we were at sea.

We're giving RCCL a shot for honeymoon in February, since the NCL itineraries didn't appeal and we wanted to spend 8 nights at sea on the Indy. We're excited to try out something new and change it up a bit!

Have a great time!

We have done westbound TA's on both the Epic and the Liberty OTS and for us it's hard to choose which one was best, but the Epic just wins because of the water slides.

IMO food was better in Epic's main dining rooms, Taste & manhattan than in the MDR on the Liberty. Free food is also available 24 hours a day from o'sheehans Irish pub. Yes there are a lot of paid restaurants on the Epic, but you won't go hungry if you decide not to use them. Buffet is good also.

IT seems to me that it's a good time for you to try out a new cruise line, I'm sure you will love the Epic