Disembarkation VACATE cabin time 8am P and O Compared to other cruise lines.

micky most

8am I feel is too early a chuck out time on disembarkation day what do others feel?

What time do other cruise lines have as a vacate cabin time for all you experienced in other lines cruisers.I appreciate the cabin stewards have loads to do but I feel 9am or even 10am would be fairer especially when one has paid three times more than the getaway £599 bargain hunters who brought the standard down in several ways on our recent TA on Azura A326N.:mad:Our last day on Azura we feel was wasted due to the delay in our flight who no one had an answer too until late pm so we couldnt organise anything.

your comments appreciated regards

Micky and Mrs Micky

8am is a fairly common vacate cabin time. The cabin stewards have a very busy day on changeover.

On the two HA cruises I have taken, passengers have been allowed to remain in the cabins until disembarking the ship - I am not sure how HA manage this and manage to get the cabins ready for new passengers but it seems to work.

They are also the only cruises I have taken where room service breakfast was made available on disembarkation morning.

Just fell in Holland America line thank you.:)

And if they can let people stay in cabins on last day without charging the extortianate last day rate for only 6hours that P and O do then its a lesson for other lines.

Micky

Edited by micky most

It is a very common time to be out your room which is surprising since some lines don't let you in your cabin until they are ready which was 2pm in my experience with Royal Caribbean. P&O and Cunard mostly don't let you straight into your room either, that might have changed but was my experience. 8am is not set in stone but you are only making your cabin steward work a bit harder by being late out the room.

On some cruise lines (Princess that I know of) new people are boarding at 10:30-11:00 especially if you are disembarking in the US as they have something called the bon voyage experience where you get to visit the ship but get off before sailing.

Edited by CCFC

Don't you want to get ashore and get home. We have done 1 b2b so far and new people are coming on board approx 11am. The poor people who clean the rooms have to have some time to do their job. Fred when we were last with them let you stay in you cabin until called to disembark deck by deck. Mind you our get off time was 8am, so we had to get up early to make sure we were ready to leave at that time.

Don't you want to get ashore and get home. We have done 1 b2b so far and new people are coming on board approx 11am. The poor people who clean the rooms have to have some time to do their job. Fred when we were last with them let you stay in you cabin until called to disembark deck by deck. Mind you our get off time was 8am, so we had to get up early to make sure we were ready to leave at that time.

Appreciate wanting to get off ship and get home but our flight was last on list which should have flown out at 7.20pm but eventually we flew out at 10pm from Barbados which was a long wait for flight from 8am in the morning.The day cabins are only available from 10am till 4pm so what about the time 8am till 10am and after 4pm until your flight leaves?An inside cabin started at £49.00 for six hours going up to £85.00 for a balcony cabin for six hours and I have better ways to spend that money.And yes new holidaymakers were coming on all day which was a not nice feeling knowing our holiday had ended.:( One couple in the lift actually thought we had just arrived and said your holiday now starts and was crestfallen when we corrected them that our holiday had ended.

To make things better we had a full breakfast then later a silver service lunch in MDR which we wouldnt do on a last day normally.:rolleyes:then we crashed out in Malabar and a bonus was a Star Trek film commenced which we werent aware off then we watched Gemma McDowell an upcoming 20 year old singer practice with backing band which was interesting.

regards Micky and Mrs Micky

Edited by micky most

Appreciate wanting to get off ship and get home but our flight was last on list which should have flown out at 7.20pm but eventually we flew out at 10pm from Barbados which was a long wait for flight from 8am in the morning.The day cabins are only available from 10am till 4pm so what about the time 8am till 10am and after 4pm until your flight leaves?An inside cabin started at £49.00 for six hours going up to £85.00 for a balcony cabin for six hours and I have better ways to spend that money.And yes new holidaymakers were coming on all day which was a not nice feeling knowing our holiday had ended.:( One couple in the lift actually thought we had just arrived and said your holiday now starts and was crestfallen when we corrected them that our holiday had ended.

To make things better we had a full breakfast then later a silver service lunch in MDR which we wouldnt do on a last day normally.:rolleyes:then we crashed out in Malabar and a bonus was a Star Trek film commenced which we werent aware off then we watched Gemma McDowell an upcoming 20 year old singer practice with backing band which was interesting.

You are talking about changeover day in Barbados. That was not clear in your original post. The majority of cruisers do not go on those cruises. It would be very unfair on the staff to allow you to stay in your cabin until you wanted to leave. The problem is that flights are arriving all day and your cabin may be for someone on the first flight ,so the staff need to have all the cabins cleaned and ready. We have flown back twice and never found it a problem. I have not heard many complaints or others. Those with a late flight usually get of and go to a beach or wander into Bridgetown.

You are talking about changeover day in Barbados. That was not clear in your original post. The majority of cruisers do not go on those cruises. It would be very unfair on the staff to allow you to stay in your cabin until you wanted to leave. The problem is that flights are arriving all day and your cabin may be for someone on the first flight ,so the staff need to have all the cabins cleaned and ready. We have flown back twice and never found it a problem. I have not heard many complaints or others. Those with a late flight usually get of and go to a beach or wander into Bridgetown.

Hi Dai firstly im not talking about changeover day in Barbados im asking in general about cabin on last day vacate time on other cruise lines which it states in my post title. Im relating it to my experience in Barbados and not expecting to stay in cabin until flight time but my posting was wondering is 8am unreasonable to vacate cabin as in a hotel for instance you could stay until 10am.Doesnt the incoming passengers have to wait until 2pm for cabin as we did when we embarked at Southampton or is this 2pm cabin availability time only relating to T Atlantic Cruises?So if someone arrives at Azura at 10am do they expect to go straight to the cabin at 10am?As regarding making plans for the day our flight was apparently delayed and all day we didnt know when or in fact if we were going to fly home that day as reception on Azura didnt have a clue and couldnt tell us what was happening and why the flight was delayed so mrs Micky was nervous about making any plans.If we knew exact flight time then maybe going to beach etc was a good idea.?:rolleyes:

as as footnote you say majority of cruisers dont go on those type of cruises I wonder why?

Edited by micky most

Hi Dai firstly im not saying one should stay in cabin until flight time my posting was wondering is 8am unreasonable to vacate cabin as in a hotel for instance you could stay until 10am.Doesnt the incoming passengers have to wait until 2pm for cabin as we did when we embarked at Southampton or is this 2pm cabin availability time only relating to T Atlantic Cruises?So if someone arrives at Azura at 10am do they expect to go straight to the cabin at 10am?As regarding making plans for the day our flight was apparently delayed and all day we didnt know when or in fact if we were going to fly home that day as reception on Azura didnt have a clue and couldnt tell us what was happening and why the flight was delayed so mrs Micky was nervous about making any plans.If we knew exact flight time then maybe going to beach etc was a good idea.?:rolleyes:

In a hotel you tend not to get a full hotel emptying and being filled on the same day. I have waited in hotels until after four for rooms to be ready. Delayed flights are hardly the fault of P&O and really no way they would know why the flight was delayed.

In a hotel you tend not to get a full hotel emptying and being filled on the same day. I have waited in hotels until after four for rooms to be ready. Delayed flights are hardly the fault of P&O and really no way they would know why the flight was delayed.

Im not in any way blaming P and O for the flight delay as it clearly is out of their control.:)

But they should be able to advise us as we booked the package through them.

micky

Edited by micky most

You state you have flown back twice so what time was your flights then Dai?And im not complaining just checking out what other cruise line policy is on a similar cruise.

Regards Micky

On Princess 8am is chuck out time from cabins. but boarding starts early, 11am sometimes and cabins are often ready by noon. I have done many Princess cruises and never had to wait on a cabin being made up. Princess put on additional staff from other areas on the ship to help the cabin stewards on turn around days.

You state you have flown back twice so what time was your flights then Dai?And im not complaining just checking out what other cruise line policy is on a similar cruise.

Regards Micky

Both about lunchtime although the first one was delayed by a day as there was a problem with the aircraft and we had to stay on board for another night. It was hell. They insisted in giving us a free bar.:rolleyes:

Remember there are no other lines which do what P&O do and fly the whole ship, or half a ship from only one country. The system in Barbados with P&O is a one off. It has many advantages like they never send you to the airport untill they have a confirmed landing time for the plane. And arriving in Barbados must be one of the quickest plane to ship transfers you can get.

Remember most other Caribbean cruises start in the USA with all the problems you have of entering that country.

I would certainly go more often to the Caribbean but I use a mobility scooter and although it is doable it is a bit of a pain. That why we stick to ex UK cruises.

Actually Dai, the system used in Barbados is the same for Thomson and I think maybe even Fred Olsen, so it is not exclusive to p&o.

Thomson have been doing fly cruise whole or half ship turnarounds for years and have refined it to a slick operation. When you arrive at the ship you are shown to your cabin which is ready to occupy, no waiting to 2pm etc. They know a day or so in advance what order the passengers are arriving so each pair of stewards prepare the cabins in the correct order.

I have sailed with several cruise lines - P&O, Princess, Fred Olsen, Cruise & Maritime, Oceania, Cunard - and I don't think I have ever had a vacate cabin time later than 8.30am. Fred might have been the latest but then they don't even start embarkation until 2pm.

When we have disembarked in Southampton we have always gone to the main dining room for a leisurely breakfast, leaving our hand luggage on the settee in our cabin and told the steward everything was clear apart from the hand luggage. By the time we have had breakfast and gone back to collect our hand luggage it has usually been time to disembark anyway so no holdups there.

As far as Caribbean fly cruises are concerned we realise that the cabins have to be ready for the first people arriving on early flights so we have no problem vacating our cabin at 8am. We again, usually go and have breakfast and then spend the morning in one of the lounges, often with the crossword/sudoku and a cup of coffee and end up having lunch in the restaurant and then often our flight has been called just as we have finished lunch.

As regards boarding in Southampton, remember that P&O offer passengers a lunch in the buffet when they board which Fred Olsen don't. Boarding with P&O can be as early as 11.45 - we have been sat in the buffet having lunch at just after mid-day - whereas Fred Olsen don't even start boarding until 2pm.

We find the whole method, whether at Southampton or in the Caribbean to be fine, no complaints.

:)

Thomson have been doing fly cruise whole or half ship turnarounds for years and have refined it to a slick operation. When you arrive at the ship you are shown to your cabin which is ready to occupy, no waiting to 2pm etc. They know a day or so in advance what order the passengers are arriving so each pair of stewards prepare the cabins in the correct order.

But the question is what time do you have to leave the cabin on departure. Our cabin was available when we boarded in Barbados as well. Remember there is a difference between Barbados and Southampton.

When we have late flights back we tend to book an excursion, in Florida we went to a shopping mall as the flight was 6:30pm. When we recently got off in Barcelona we did a city tour, our flight was at 3pm but delayed an hour which was a bit hair raising as we had a connecting flight at Paris.

Not sure if this applies to P&O but if you book a disembarkation tour with Princess they refund back some of the transfer fees to the tour if you have paid them.

When we have late flights back we tend to book an excursion, in Florida we went to a shopping mall as the flight was 6:30pm. When we recently got off in Barcelona we did a city tour, our flight was at 3pm but delayed an hour which was a bit hair raising as we had a connecting flight at Paris.

Not sure if this applies to P&O but if you book a disembarkation tour with Princess they refund back some of the transfer fees to the tour if you have paid them.

P&O do not charge for transfers in Barbados, all included.

Not sure what will happen with Ventura in the Med.

The cabins have always been ready to occupy on embarkation at Barbados.

That is why you can't keep your own cabin as a day cabin unless it is on the list. The day cabins are the obese where pax are arriving on the last fly due to arrive at bbdos.

The earliest we have been on board in Barbados has been 1:30 their time and the cabin was ready.

On joining the ship in Acapulco we were on board by 09:30 and the announcement for the cabins was 10:30.

Sue

On RCI we had to vacate and disembark at 6am in Southampton, that's one of the reasons we have not cruised with them again!

On our Hawaii cruise with Celebrity we had a flight back from San Diego early evening and they transferred us to a lovely hotel where we had a day room.

We are flying back from Barbados in February and will spend a lovely last day enjoying Bridgetown and then go to the spa to shower and change before our flight.

8am I feel is too early a chuck out time on disembarkation day what do others feel?

What time do other cruise lines have as a vacate cabin time for all you experienced in other lines cruisers.I appreciate the cabin stewards have loads to do but I feel 9am or even 10am would be fairer especially when one has paid three times more than the getaway £599 bargain hunters who brought the standard down in several ways on our recent TA on Azura A326N.:mad:Our last day on Azura we feel was wasted due to the delay in our flight who no one had an answer too until late pm so we couldnt organise anything.

your comments appreciated regards

Micky and Mrs Micky

Dear Micky and Mrs Micky

So the general answer seems to be that 8am is not an unreasonable time to vacate the cabin, and if you are on RCI they throw you out at 6am...;)