Just off the Splendor....YUCK!

KillaFee

No flames from me! At least the food was decent and the other positives you mention made the cruise bearable. Sorry you had so many inconsiderate cruisemates though. And the weather can dampen the spirit some. Thanks for sharing your cruise experience. And better luck next time, if you cruise again.:)

Thanks for taking the time to post your review - I did like that you listed your likes and well as the things you didn't like. I also don't understand the walk around in pajamas/bathrobes thing. There was a thread about that recently.

What ports did you visit? Did you do any tours?

I am booked on the Dream for May and am worried that it may be a bit too crowded but I booked an aft balcony so I can retreat there and also plan to get a spa pass - Did you visit the spa?

I'm sorry you had such a negative experience! I agree with you about the overall feel of the lido deck. I've never been on the Splendor, but I try to stay as far away from the lido buffet as possible (on both Carnival and NCL). I'm glad you were able to find great food in the MDR - that's our go to as well.

I agree with you about the pajamas as well! I know vacations are meant to be relaxing, but come on people..you ARE still in a public place when you're outside your cabin! I haven't seen it a lot, but it still baffles me that people think robes are ok attire for the lido deck..LOL

Well you gave the thread a pretty negative title and twice mentioned the welcoming of being flamed. I think maybe you want to keep sounding off about the trip and the ship instead of just stating your honest opinion about the good and the bad.

I have seen mixed reviews of the Splendor, so I can believe what OP says. Some stuff is consistent with other reviews like the layout of the Lido deck, the long food lines, and the ugly décor. Nothing at all can be done with regard to crappy weather or a cold Promenade deck during a Winter cruise. I agree that folks in pajamas is rude and tacky. But that seems to be the thing with some folks nowadays. I’ve seen kids in shopping malls walking around with pajamas on. That would have got on my nerves too. Still....there were some things that you did like, so I think you did your rather balanced review a disservice by titling it so negative. ;)

One thing you mentioned was you enjoy the sun..... it sounds like you had very little of it during the week. Taking so many cruise in past, had to been to some of those ports before? If the weather is good and the sun is out, it's hard to say any of the ports these ships visit are crummy. They all beat Indiana in the winter.

Edited by hawaiibound24

Hmmm, griping about the weather, and overly judgmental of others. Fantastic!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm sorry, you must have missed the part where I said that I REALIZE THAT THE WEATHER IS BEYOND THE CONTROL OF THE SHIP. This isn't my first rodeo, my friend. That's not why I didn't like the cruise. There were MANY reasons I didn't like the cruise. I get it. And I ABSOLUTELY will judge people that push, shove, use foul language LOUDLY to others, and dress in their pajamas in public.

Laura

One thing you mentioned was you enjoy the sun..... it sounds like you had very little of it during the week. Taking so many cruise in past, had to been to some of those ports before? If the weather is good and the sun is out, it's hard to say any of the ports these ships visit are crummy. They all beat Indiana in the winter.

Yes, I've been to the ports before multiple times. We happened to hit a cold snap this week. Again, the bad weather wasn't the culprit, but some sunshine would have been splendid. :D

Laura

Your review was fair and balanced and I appreciate your honestly.

Not all cruises are good. And finding yourself on a cruise counting the hours until you disembark is not a great experience.

Hoping you soon go on vacation again and have a wonderful time:)

Thank you!! EXACTLY! I've never EVER wanted a cruise to be over before in all my years of cruising! I'm very sad that I think I might dislike cruising now. :(

I might be inclined to do a Celebrity or RCCL in the eastern or deep southern caribbean at some point, but convincing my husband after this one might prove to be a bit difficult.

I'm sorry, you must have missed the part where I said that I REALIZE THAT THE WEATHER IS BEYOND THE CONTROL OF THE SHIP. This isn't my first rodeo, my friend. That's not why I didn't like the cruise. There were MANY reasons I didn't like the cruise. I get it. And I ABSOLUTELY will judge people that push, shove, use foul language LOUDLY to others, and dress in their pajamas in public.

Laura

LIKE!!!:D:D

Hey, we are right outside of Hartford, and have considered the Splendor, as to avoid aifare, but too many negatives about her lately, and your review pretty much finalized my decision. Thanks for being honest.

Thank you for your balanced review. I don't like crowds and I do my best to avoid them. I have little interest in hanging out on the Lido deck unless it's a port day.

I do have to say that buffets bring out the worst in me. My animal drive kicks in or something because it takes a real effort on my part to take only a little bit of food.

I'm glad you liked the gym! I assume they have elliptical machines?

Edited by Andoria

Well you gave the thread a pretty negative title and twice mentioned the welcoming of being flamed. I think maybe you want to keep sounding off about the trip and the ship instead of just stating your honest opinion about the good and the bad.

I have seen mixed reviews of the Splendor, so I can believe what OP says. Some stuff is consistent with other reviews like the layout of the Lido deck, the long food lines, and the ugly décor. Nothing at all can be done with regard to crappy weather or a cold Promenade deck during a Winter cruise. I agree that folks in pajamas is rude and tacky. But that seems to be the thing with some folks nowadays. I’ve seen kids in shopping malls walking around with pajamas on. That would have got on my nerves too. Still....there were some things that you did like, so I think you did your rather balanced review a disservice by titling it so negative. ;)

Yes. I can see what you mean.

I really didn't want to hate it as much as I did. I feel weird writing a negative review, because I usually laugh off bad reviews, to be honest. After all, how can one have a bad time at sea? Life at sea is better than a day at work, right? Not this time. We were just in awe of how strange everything seemed on this particular cruise. Something (well, many things) were just "off". Oh well. Live and learn!

Thank you for your balanced review. I don't like crowds and I do my best to avoid them. I have little interest in hanging out on the Lido deck unless it's a port day.

I do have to say that buffets bring out the worst in me. My animal drive kicks in or something because it takes a real effort on my part to take only a little bit of food.

I'm glad you liked the gym! I assume they have elliptical machines?

Haha! The animal drive thing....aggghh!! I've never felt so crowded on a ship before, but I'd imagine it's because the outside decks were closed so everyone was forced inside.

Yes, the gym was nice. They had plenty of ellipticals, which is my machine of choice. Their treadmills were awesome too! It was interesting running during the crazy waves. I was having a blast until we got kicked out, but safety first for sure!

Thanks! I did mention to my husband how different a cruise is when you're island hopping down in the deep southern caribbean, but it might be hard to convince him after this. :eek: Maybe in a few years we will. The Breeze looks nice. I just really, REALLY didn't like the enclosed lido. I've been in enclosed Lidos before (Royal Caribbean ships always have an enclosed solarium) but never have I felt so enclosed. There's just one little pool and everyone is in loungers facing a big tv screen. I felt like I was on a ship with a bunch of zombies. Someday in the future maybe! It does look like they are trying to make their ships more tame lately. :D

When we sailed Splendor back in 2011, the entire aft (back) Lido deck was wide open. We parked our deck chairs against the railing and watched the wake. Did that get closed in or did you just stay in the middle with the retractable roof? One reason I really dislike the Conquest class of ships on Carnival is the closed-in aft pool area.

One thing we loved about Splendor, and laughed, about was the pink zebra circle decor. We never looked at strawberry frosted doughnuts the same way.

We HATE the big noise makers on the ships. If we wanted to watch TV, we would stay home, so I understand.

We sailed Breeze back in October. She is a beautiful ship with lots of open spaces and bright, light decor. She also has the wide open aft Lido deck.

I'm sorry you had such a negative experience! I agree with you about the overall feel of the lido deck. I've never been on the Splendor, but I try to stay as far away from the lido buffet as possible (on both Carnival and NCL). I'm glad you were able to find great food in the MDR - that's our go to as well.

I agree with you about the pajamas as well! I know vacations are meant to be relaxing, but come on people..you ARE still in a public place when you're outside your cabin! I haven't seen it a lot, but it still baffles me that people think robes are ok attire for the lido deck..LOL

I have to say that I was totally shocked. I'd read about it in previous posts and thought "whatever....so people walk around in their pj's" but I have to say, it's really freaking weird!

And yes, the MDR was our saving grace.

When we sailed Splendor back in 2011, the entire aft (back) Lido deck was wide open. We parked our deck chairs against the railing and watched the wake. Did that get closed in or did you just stay in the middle with the retractable roof? One reason I really dislike the Conquest class of ships on Carnival is the closed-in aft pool area.

One thing we loved about Splendor, and laughed, about was the pink zebra circle decor. We never looked at strawberry frosted doughnuts the same way.

We HATE the big noise makers on the ships. If we wanted to watch TV, we would stay home, so I understand.

We sailed Breeze back in October. She is a beautiful ship with lots of open spaces and bright, light decor. She also has the wide open aft Lido deck.

We LOVED the aft area, but it was closed from Monday - Thursday (well, the entire outside of the ship was closed with caution tape due to bad weather) We were finally able to spend some time there on Thursday and the few days after and were ELATE, but it was usually very cloudy / windy / not able to be out there. It's a great area and we spent as much time there as possible.

Thanks for your review, it will help us prepare for our sailing next September. It's good to hear the story from both sides good and/or bad. Looking at the lido pool area on the ships webcam, it does seem like some kind of party barn instead of cruise ship.

Edited by Star24K

We took the Conquest out of NOLA a couple of years ago and can honestly say that it was our least favorite ship and least favorite cruise. That being said, a vacation is what you make it. If you can have a good time in a 4 x 4 room with your cruise mate for a week then why was being on this ship so hard? You said that you get what you pay for and you got a great deal. You also said that your expectations weren't high to begin with. If your expectations are low then your experience will prove to follow along with your expectations. My cruise on the Conquest was not my favorite but that doesn't deter me from desiring to take another cruise. Every cruise line is different and every ship is different. That is how and why we have so many choices. I am glad you at least stated the things you liked about the cruise but most of the things that you didn't like we're belong anyone's control and no fault of anyone in particular. I have personally never been to a ship buffet that wasn't crowded. That is why the MDR is open. Thank you for the review. Perhaps you should book a vacation on a remote island somewhere away from people that might irritate you.

Hi Laura :)

I am very sorry yo hear you had a bad cruise on the Splendor.

Did you see the three shows on the Splendor; (Vroom, The Beat and Fiesta Latina?)

Did you try the Pinnacle Steakhouse or the Chef's table?

I personally would never choose the (Port Canaveral, Freeport, Nassau) itinerary that

the Splendor is doing at the moment. My wife and I sailed on her for 16 days from

May 25 to June 10, everything was terrific.

Our itinerary was:

Sailaway (New York)

Sea Day

Sea Day

Grand Turk

Half Moon Cay

Nassau

Sea Day

Sea Day

New York (Turnaround Day)

Sea Day

Sea Day

San Juan

St Thomas

Grand Turk

Sea Day

Sea Day

New York

We are going back on the Splendor in Feb of 2015.

Our itinerary will be:

Feb 13 ...............New York

Feb 14 ...............At Sea

Feb 15 ...............At Sea

Feb 16 ...............Grand Turk

Feb 17 ...............At Sea

Feb 18 ...............Antigua

Feb 19 ...............St Kitts

Feb 20 ...............St Thomas

Feb 21 ...............Puerto Rico 8am-10pm ( Turnaround Day )

Feb 22 ...............St Kitts

Feb 23 ...............Antigua

Feb 24 ...............St Thomas

Feb 25 ...............At Sea

Feb 26 ...............Grand Turk

Feb 27 ................At Sea

Feb 28 ................At Sea

March 1 .............New York

Hopefully you will not let the reasons you listed cause you to not cruise in the future.

Again, sorry to hear you did not have a wonderful vacation on a fine ship with an outstanding crew..

:)

Edited by PortSideCruzan

It sounds to me like you were on a typical Carnival cruise, which is why I LIKE Carnival. It's casual and it's fun...and it's an amazing value.

I don't see why you would stop cruising entirely...it just sounds like you belong on Cunard, rather than Carnival. Different strokes for different folks.

Thanks for your review, it will help us prepare for our sailing next September. It's good to hear the story from both sides good and/or bad. Looking at the lido pool area on the ships webcam, it does seem like some kind of party barn instead of cruise ship.

Haha, totally a party barn! And everyone is facing the TV. So weird. It was just so different from any other cruise ship deck I've ever been on. I suppose I like the simple things on a cruise....open decks, pools outside, etc....I'm sure your New England sailing will likely have a different crowd anyway given the itinerary. I doubt there will be such a rowdy crowd since I've heard Canada / NE itineraries draw a more subdued crowd. I never thought that I'd prefer a subdued crowd until now, LOL!!! They might retract the roof when you're on that cruise, since it will likely still be warm out. They retracted it ONCE while we were on it and it seemed like an entirely different ship! :D

Laura

I really think that people need to dress appropriately in public places.

We LOVED the aft area, but it was closed from Monday - Thursday (well, the entire outside of the ship was closed with caution tape due to bad weather) We were finally able to spend some time there on Thursday and the few days after and were ELATE, but it was usually very cloudy / windy / not able to be out there. It's a great area and we spent as much time there as possible.

Whoa, that's crazy! Only once have we had an outside deck closed. It was on Dream in 2012. It was super windy one night so the Promenade around deck 5 was closed. The Lido deck was still open, though.

We did have one RC cruise, back in 2002, where the seas were so rough that the ship was seriously rocking. Think Gilligan's Island-"Quick Before It Sinks", the episode where Gilligan moved the lobster stick further out but the Professor thought the island was sinking and had the castaways practice eating and sleeping on a wildly moving fake ark. (Please tell me someone remembers that episode!!) We were all bumping into walls and each other and making friends, plates and glasses were sliding off tables, barf bags were placed everywhere. It was an adventure.

I would just sum it up to cruising just isn't for you.

I think you're right. I've LOVED (like the biggest cheerleader on the planet that got over 30+ friends and family members addicted as well) cruising for over 20 years, so it makes me sad. :(

I think I just found something that I enjoy more - spending a week in St. Martin and pretending to act like a local (haha) and visiting islands for extended periods. I'll just chalk it up to interests changing, that's all!

Laura